5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need except your passport
Rough Guide Thailand is one of the best in the range, and it strikes just the right balance, although the book still weighs in on the heavier end in a backpack, its pretty much all useful. especially for the traveller who is exploring thailand, which is after all a very big country.
Published on 4 Mar 2004 by simon gurney

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide: First & Last Time
Rough Guide's content and pics are good, plus it seems to be up to date, however the way in which information and maps are organized in the book are my main criticism to R.G.

Published on 16 Mar 2011 by Diego

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need except your passport, 4 Mar 2004
simon gurney (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The books coverage strikes a good balance, and the design is very user friendly, the features of the (not so) new design which are particuliarly useful are the end of chapter transport connections overview with approx times, and the 40 things not to miss photos at the front is a great selection, and can serve as an inspiring hit list.
The book is very well suited to the independant traveller, and the accomodation on the whole was more accurately on target than in many other guides, to agree with 50% or more of the reccomendations is a very good sign, although thailand moves quickly, not least in accomodation, so it is very difficult to keep coverage up to date.
On the whole the food selections were ok, generally this is the weakest point in the rough guide series, Bangkok is least well served in this respect, but when pushed and feeling lazy outside the capital it will deliver somewhere to eat pretty quickly. (not that finding somewhere to eat is a problem in thaialnd).
there is a small but quite useful language section which could be expanded to double its length and be even more useful, and the history section isnt too overwhelming, but i guess more thai phrase books are sold separately than history books and hence the obvious imbalance here.
The Rough guide to Thailand is nicely pitched, accurate and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Although, I couldn't go to everywhere in the book this left me thirsty for more!, 29 Dec 2007
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Although I travelled just before a new edition of this book was published, I thought this book was excellent in helping me plan my holiday in advance. We knew we wanted to go to Thailand but weren't quite sure where - this book helped us decide based on not only things to see & do but weather condtions etc, which I found were excellent compared to many internet sites and travel brochures (which portray Thailand as one climate area, when in fact it has many different weather systems). The book was excellent and still felt 'up to date'; for example it helped us find the most fab little boutique hotel "Buddy Lodge" in Bankok which was exactly what we were looking for and never would have found otherwise. Also it had fantastic and accurate info on the Grand Palace, such as tours times and prices, not to mention a complete guide to the whole complex, building by building!

These books make such a fantastic read in terms of filling you in on culture and traditions - because I had read this before we travelled I spotted lots of things I would have missed otherwise. It seemed a shame that we only went on a two week tourist holiday - the book made me want to go back packing around the whole country!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunscreen and this book, that's all you need!, 30 May 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
Just returned from a 6 week trip to Thailand last night, and the trip was made a million times more enjoyable by this book. I compared with someones lonely planet, and I much preferred the content and layout in rough guide. If you want an informed, accurate and authentic guide to Thailand and it's culture, this has to be it. Along with my sunscreen and backpack, this was an indispensible item. The only reason I have dropped a star is because (like the reviewer before me), the pages near the front fell out. I can only assume this is because those pages are glossy, and perhaps the binding glue could not hold them in the heat. However, the actual content of the book is 5 stars without a doubt! I will be purchasing Rough Guides in the future :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide: First & Last Time, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)

Having used Lonely Planet editions for years I first blamed myself for my inability to make good use of the R.G. But after days of trying to get a grip on how to easily browse through it and neither I or my -smart- gf could, I decided to stick to L.P. next time.

R.G also lacks a very useful feature in L.P. when you don't have much time in a city: the Walking Tour / what to see if you are staying just 1 or 2 days. Quite convenient when you are under time constraint as it gives you an idea of the main sights, tells you distances as well as an estimate of time needed for the walk.

Also yes I agree with previous reviews that the printing quality should be improved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so many pictures but invaluable..., 11 Mar 2010
jetsetwilly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
I looked at quite a few books on Thailand before we went and put off buying this one several times due to the lack of pictures and it seemed a bit too wordy. I bought it in the end and we found it invaluable - don't be tempted to buy an older publication to save money because it helps to have up-to-date information. Generally - would recommend. Oh, and if you go to Patpong in Bangkok it might be worth doing a bit of online research too before you go :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with the 'Lonely Planet ' guides, 19 Sep 2006
Mr. James A. Newton (London) - See all my reviews
This is about the tenth Rough Guide I've used, and as usual it has been an excellent source of most importantly accurate information. All Rough Guides have evidently been well researched and give step-by-step procedures of what to do on arrival, finding accommodation and local transport etc. I've never understood why so many travellers use 'Lonely Planet' guides. The title may very well sound ethereal and full of the romatic allusion (illusion?) of travelling, but I have found them at best very mediochre. I can think their popularity lies more in the fact of their reputation. If you're a 'serious' traveller you only ever get the Lonely Planet. Well don't bother, get a Rough Guide which you will almost certainly find more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, very detailed, a must for independent travellers, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
Bought along with the Eyewitness Travel Guide which has lovely photos and colourful maps but which is limiting in detailed information. What The Rough Guide lacks in beautiful photography and colour, it makes up with the amount of detail and knowledge about Thailand. The authors know Thailand extremely well and are able to give "off the beaten track" tips and hints. We are not back packers but travelling as a family with 2 young children, combining hopefully "real Thailand" with a bit of beach and luxury tagged on the end of our trip and I have found it invaluable. The book is already well used and we have not left yet! Don't leave home without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish amazon had paid tax on the profit they made on this sale, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
Product arrived on time and as described but I wish amazon had paid their tax on the profit they made in selling me it. They pay tax to the US government on the products they sell there. They delivered this to a UK address. Why did they not pay the tax due - that pays for the schools and hospitals their employees use, the roads and legal systems they depend on. If you agree "like" this comment.

3.0 out of 5 stars rough guide thailand, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
great book. good information. didn't use it that much cos once ur in thailand most of the information you get is from other travellers and local people. great as reference though. however does fall apart almost immediately. if you can live with that then great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide Thailand, 16 Mar 2010
S. Riches - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Thailand (Paperback)
Great book for content (the up-to-date-ish Oct 2009 edition) but like many of my Rough Guides it is starting to fall apart before it has even got to Thailand! The first chapter is gradually dropping out of the binding, a maddening weakness which I have never had with the better-bound more robust Lonely Planet series. I have treated it gently so this is a poor result. Be warned!
UPDATE JULY 2010....I telephoned the company to complain that the book was falling apart, and I was told they've had a problem recently with a new glue which didn't work. They immediately sent me a new copy which so far has held together. Steve Riches.

ARRAY(0xa0acbdbc)

The Rough Guide to Thailand
The Rough Guide to Thailand by Paul Gray (Paperback - 1 Oct 2009)
13.66
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available