5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best guide to Tanzania

3.0 out of 5 stars Tanzania: Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar
Published on 25 Nov 2007 by MrSam

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best guide to Tanzania, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
I've been working in Tanzania for the last 8 months and have been overwhelmingly impressed by this guide (it's inspired me to write my first Amazon review). Tanzania's great but it's not the easiest of countries to travel around and this book is the ideal partner - it's reliable, detailed and enthusiastic. It has a real insider's feel to it and has inspired me to visit remote corners of the country as well as the better known places. At the same time the instructions have been practical and accurate for all budgets and have built my confidence for travelling around a beautiful but sometimes challenging country. Easily the best guidebook for Tanzania and much better than other guide books I have used for independent travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 8 Aug 2007
O. Tupper (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I have recently spent 4 months in Tanzania, doing volunteer work, but also travelling a great deal. And my companions and I brought just about every single travel guide to Tanzania (lonely planet, footprint and a danish one) But I found that every time I had something to look up. The Rough Guide was the only guide that had both rich and detailed descriptions, but was also still updated enough, that I could use the information found within.

The other books metioned were both lacking in items, such a large hotel list on various smaller towns and are seriously out off date.

My point should be fairly clear, by now ;).
If you are going to Tanzania and you are moving outside of Zanzibar. The Rough Guide is by far your best choice, as a good and reliable travel companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantalizing tit bits, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
"Rough Guide" doesn't do this book justice. The advice re safety is spot on especially regarding the dallas dallas! I found so much out about Tanzania when flicking through this book, even the locals were impressed. Whenever I was informed of a must see, I flicked through my book and there it was with a good chunk of history/information. A+ Will definately be using Rough Guide books again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tanzania: Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar, 25 Nov 2007
MrSam "Sam" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
used this book on my trip to Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar recently. the information is now surprisingly somewhat out of date. not the books fault. apparently Tanzania has changed a lot since the last edition of this book. for example. all prices have gone up by at least 30%, very often more and are still rising. Some budget listed hotels/restaurants are now really expensive. So be prepared to spend that bit more. one of the reasons for the price hike is due to current world oil prices, the country depends a lot on oil, for everything. some local people say that prices have gone up 100% over the last 2 years.
I went to kendwa on Zanzibar. from the books description it sounded like an oasis of few huts and solitude. well things have changed, the beach is beautiful if you can avoid the traffic of tourists along the beach, i think it's the new Goa, great if that was what you were expecting. the hotels have expanded in size too.
sometimes extra up to date travel info can be found on wikitravel.org, it helped me a bit more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Safaris, 1 April 2010
H. Lammie (England) - See all my reviews
The Rough Guide to Tanzania has been extremely useful in planning my safari. Not only does it include important information concerning health and insurance, it actually has a section on the different types of safaris you can do. It not only informs you of how to avoid scams, but also provides you with a variety of different routes and companies. The guide is also full of other places to go and things to do once you have finished your safari, such as hitting the beaches. It is a really easy to follow yet detailed guide, which has helped me a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
Excellent service - arrived within 24 hours of order. Book is comprehensive with lots of tips and up to date information. Visited Tanzania last year and was able to verify some of the content.
Full Marks

5.0 out of 5 stars Tanzania guide, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
As always the rough guide gives excellent information when planning a trip to any country.
I found this guide very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to Tanzania, 31 Oct 2013
SKH (Devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
A replacement guidebook for my ancient East African Lonely Planet. Good information; chapters are the 11 different areas of the country, including Zanzibar; maps, facts, tips, as well as black and white and colour pictures - a useful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
Another up-to-standard book from the Rough Guide team - it contains all the necessary information for a pre-visit, but I shall be interested to re-read it and seen how accurate it was now that I have been there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Tanzania (Paperback)
We always use rough guides when we go away, more in depth and informative than the books that just focus on the "tourist"
Areas. This will always be close to hand during your travel. Only guidebook you will need

The Rough Guide to Tanzania
The Rough Guide to Tanzania by Jens Finke (Paperback - 14 Jan 2010)