5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rough Guide that I've seen
Published on 2 May 2010 by J. Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK,
This book is ok if you like churches, travel by bus and want to spend over Euro 30 for each meal on a Coriscan set menu. My family and I loved Corsica, but found this book only mildly helpful.

Published on 28 April 2010 by Z. Lawton

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rough Guide that I've seen, 2 May 2010
J. Rees (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
I'm not a fan of Rough Guides. In the past I've found the writer's opinion a bit condescending and jaded. Lonely Planet guides have until now been my preferred guide. Until this one. It's much better than the Lonely Planet guide for Corsica. The accommodation recommendations were spot on and it included small villages that other guides overlooked. We found a load of information unique to areas that didn't feature in any of the other guides. I highly recommend this guide. Enjoy Corsica. It's beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from Rough, 22 Jun 2010
J. M. Hewison (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
It has now become a habit of mine to buy the Rough Guide before planning our annual trips abroad. I was not disappointed with the Corsican edition. As usual, the easy to read information told me just what I wanted to know - where to visit, interesting things to see and do, unusual discoveries off the beaten track, restaurant and hotel information etc., etc. After reading and making notes it is much easier to see where best to centre a stay in order to get the most out of ones visit. Bravo and keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is excellent a must for a Corsican holiday, 12 Sep 2013
Ms. J. Bedford (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
This is an excellent book to help guide you through your holiday in Corsica. I actually bought another guide book at the airport because I thought I had not packed this one.
This one is far superior, apart from telling you the best places to go, it lo gives frank and honest opinions of what might not be such a good idea if you have limited time.
Another useful part of this book, it tells you when you go to a remote costal route where o park your car nod if you won't to go a bit further on foot to see something even more magnificent - it explains ho to do that
The best tip in this book was to actually travel up the western side of Caps Corpse - the book actually describes the points of interest of the eastern side in the chapter first. But it does say if you journey clockwise west, then north and then back southbound down the eastern coast it is a better view and much safer for driving on the left because domes those coastal roads disappear to nothing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK,, 28 April 2010
Z. Lawton "love to read" (Valais, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)

Since 'Rough Guides' were originally aimed at the low budget traveler, this book is full of practical bus and 'getting there' information and I thought that I would find good recommendations on where to sleep and feed a family of 4 (with kids old enough to want grown up meals) at a reasonable cost. But most of the restaurant recommendations were a lot more expensive than our budget. There were very few suggestions on where to eat snacks/ simple meals - other than pizza!! (If you can afford Euro 30 a night for a meal each, surely you'll not be taking the bus!?!)

I know that Corsica is a place to go for sun, sea, beaches hiking and sport but other than the beach recommendations, many of the 'what to see' references seemed to be about churches. Perhaps that's because that other than scenery/quaint/beach/restaurant, there is very little to do in the average Corsican town? The village / town descriptions became quite repetitive and indistinct as a result.

I also found the maps quite frustrating as the regional maps don't overlap. Like many travelers we use a sat nav' and I was relying on the book's maps to help me plan the route for our trip.

Overall, the book gave me a feel for where to go and what to do once we were there, but wasn't totally focused on the budget traveler (but perhaps 'budget' and 'Corsica' are mutually exclusive??).

2.0 out of 5 stars 2009 is not "up to date"!, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
I was surprised to see Amazon promoting this book by boldly quoting a (presumably original) press comment that it contains up to date reviews of the best accommodation etc. Yet the product information discloses that it is the 2009 edition. For really up to date information, I found the similar Dorling Kindersley guide to Corsica excellent. It was published in June 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
As always the rough guide tells you what you want to know. Good range of accommodation and list of the best places to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
Helpful and informative on most several subjects...advice for driving the Cap,good restaurants,
the roman site at Mariana..all good material.Nina Gwilliam

4.0 out of 5 stars The rough guide to corsica., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
A really good guide to corsica with an in depth view of the island and the traditions of its people.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
love the rough guides anyway but this one for Corsica is well rounded and give you a good insight of what the island has on offer.
The itinerary are not as good as they sometimes are though.... And the island is rich in various activities that are not well represented so it won't save you a trip to the local tourist information centre

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 8 July 2013
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Corsica (Paperback)
On our recent trip to Corsica we took this Rough Guide and the Cadogan Guide. On balance I preferred the Cadogan which I think covered the history & culture of Corsica better, perhaps to be expected, but also seemed to have more information generally about the area of Corsica we were visiting (we stayed in two villas in Southern Corsica, one on a vineyard between Porto Vecchio & Bonifacio, the second just outside Olmeto in the hills above Propriano). I can't comment about the coverage in other areas of the island.

The Rough Guide suggests that you can travel reasonably easily in most of Corsica using public transport provided you are willing to be flexible and plan in advance, although it acknowledges "the manifest inadequacies" of the public transport system. In truth, for most people, particularly anyone on a one or two week holiday, public transport is likely to prove too restrictive. I have my doubts that anyone with children would relish the prospect of being dropped over several kilometres from, e.g. the site of Filitosa, and having to walk the rest of the way or hope for a hitch. Yet whilst there is a 'hair shirt' approach to getting around, some of the hotel and restaurant recommendations are at the opposite end of the scale - a somewhat bizarre combination, although it perhaps reflects that Corsica is not a cheap destination.

The Rough Guide seemed to miss some lovely villages, some just a few kilometres from places they did mention which seemed less worthy of the attention. The same applied to beaches - there were several easily accessible beaches which didn't get a mention whilst nearby but much less attractive beaches did get a write up. I have always viewed the Rough Guides as mentioning places a little more off the beaten track but this didn't seem to be the case. There is better information about walking in Corsica than in the Cadogan guide so if that is your interest then the RG wins out.

Overall, I didn't sense any real enthusiasm for Corsica, and at times I wasn't even convinced the author had visited the places as there was a feeling of tourist brochurese which might explain the failure to mention the next beach around the bay. If you are interested in the culture and history of the island I would strongly recommend you read Dorothy Carrington's book 'Granite Island' which I probably used more than either of the formal guide books.

The Rough Guide to Corsica
The Rough Guide to Corsica by David Abram (Paperback - 1 May 2009)