Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 June 1999
If the readers want to find either the first hand sniping experiences or the detailed information regarding British snipers during WWII, then this is not the book for them.
Most of the book deals with Shore's personal experiences and thoughts on the military shooting in general during WWII -- actually, between the D day and late 1945. The sniping part were mostly "war stories" and not even his own! Also, it was very interesting to see that he entered the sniping game very late during the war. Maybe it was the contributing factor that there was not a lot of personal stories to tell.
Nevertheless, he did give some good accounts about the variety of small arms (allied and axis) he encountered during his tour of duty (of course, not at the receiving end!) But I am afraid that the readers would have to be reminded that those were only his OWN opinions.
One good point in the book was his discussions about the weakness of traditional military shooting instruction system and his ideas of improving it.
About the writing style, I found this book a little bit difficult to digest. There were some jumping threads of thoughts (although not entirely randomly) in the book that I just could not concentrate and easily finished it off. It took me four tries.
on 14 December 2012
I enjoyed the personal aspect of the events as experienced by the author.
It gave an insight into D Day and subsequent events.
As a rifle shooter I appreciated his comments regarding shooting and other historic details.
A book for the specialist rather than a 'general shoot em up tale'.
on 3 June 2009
I've always been interested in sniping,and this was a book I had to wait a long time for.Sadly,when I finished it,it wasn't really enjoyable.The simple fact being,that there wasn't much sniper accounts.If only they'd put more in,it would have been a cracking read.The sniper tales are indeed,very interesting,but brief.The author goes on to describe technical details,and I'm afraid I was bored stiff,with the rest of it.A great shame.