4.0 out of 5 stars Insights from Physics?
The story of how the body profoundly affect our thoughts, emotions and decisions about everything from the people we like to the ways that we work. Essential reading for anyone seriously concerned with understanding themselves and others.
Published 8 months ago by Bruce Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall ok book. Some great bits, some meh bits
Picking up this book I was super excited to read it. I'm very interested in our sensations, embodied cognition and how it all shape our world.

Published 15 months ago by S. Malvik

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall ok book. Some great bits, some meh bits, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence (Paperback)

I got some answers to this in the book, but I also got a lot of anecdotal ideas and stories that couldn't be backed up by science. I do understand this is a new field, but I wish some of the chapters had been firmer in their hypothesis, their claims and their stories. The book started strongly, then fizzled out.

2.0 out of 5 stars And your point is?, 3 Jun. 2014
I fully expected to like this much more than I did. Embodied awareness is something I'm particularly interested in, how we perceive the world, ditto, the importance of language, thinking and expressing in metaphor. Much more ditto.

So a look at what this book was about had me expecting a fascinating, depth filled read.

Unfortunately this doesn't go deeply enough, it looks at `what' it rarely looks at `why'

Lots of `hey this is fascinating' studies were presented, but overall I found this rather anecdotal, and pop laboratory

I'm afraid, rather tellingly, that I can within days of finishing it, remember little of it.

What I rather wanted was more neurobiology, and more exploration that body metaphor originally arises from sensation, rather than the metaphor itself producing sensation. For asking someone to hold a warm or a cold drink before evaluating on the same written descriptions of a person, whether they would judge that person positively or negatively, `warmth' in the hands leads to `warmer' evaluations.

There were missing questions here, to do with comfort and ambience. If the environment of the test was cool/winter, the sensation of cold leads to feelings of discomfort. So a more critical evaluation may not come from any verbal association between `warm' or cold evaluations.

To equate the fact that the known ability of petting a pet animal such as a dog or a cat lowers heart rate and blood pressure because it has a soft coat : "All you have to do is pet their soft coats to bring out their own soft nature - and yours" is rather typical of some of the reductio ad absurdum that litters these pages.

Many of the results and experiments cited had many possible conclusions which could have been drawn, as to the `why' of their results

Various studies cited with `odours' such as peppermint and cinnamon improving cognitive function are shown to improve performance - but she doesn't drill down into one obvious conclusion - some aromatic molecules have a stimulating/arousing action - are known central nervous system stimulants, just as others are known central nervous system sedatives.

So there's a lot of `wow, this happened! wow, that happened!' but the why is at times not explored, or the conclusions suspect

I received this as an ARC for review purposes

4.0 out of 5 stars Insights from Physics?, 6 Nov. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 May 2015
good

Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence
Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence by Thalma Lobel (Paperback - 3 April 2014)