4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 26 Mar. 2003
Simon Rockman - See all my reviews
Ten years ago I used to commission book reviews as part of my job. I would always look for someone I thought could do a better job of the subject than the author.
I've spent the last ten years writing about mobile phones. I've met many of the people written about in Jon Agar's book and was there at some of the launches he talks about.
I'm the person a ten-year-ago-me would have commissioned to write a review.
It's a good book.
Like a schoolboy going through a dictionary for the rude words I wanted to find mistakes. What I found was a good, clear explanation of the mobile phone as I know it and great background on the pre-history of mobiles. There are some minor mistakes - Sony became SonyEricsson a couple of years ago and officially it's a British company, not Japanese - headquartered in Hammersmith. SIMs can't be cloned and the facts on how the Government chose phone crime as a soft target are an opinion (in my view wrong) not a fact. But this is nit-picking. It's a great overview of how we got to where we are, from the importance of text messaging in the Philippines, to French infidelity and the mess of the American network. He handles one of the toughest aspects - how CDMA works - with aplomb.
There are things Jon Agar hasn't read and should have done, and it could have done with some more spadework on the photographs - just going to the BT Archives and to Nokia isn't full research - but it would not have made a vastly better book.
If you have a general interest in technology and the social effects it has this is a good, easy read.
If you work in the mobile phone industry this is something you should pick up. Everyone will learn something.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of Technology at its Best, 14 Mar. 2003
This book is a joy to read for anyone interested in understanding the background to the birth of the global communications revolution that is mobile telephony.
Agar provides an example to 'professional' historians everywhere, on how to author accessible, relevant 'social history', without boring the reader to death.
For 'amateurs' such as myself 'Constant Touch' offers an excellent and engaging global, historical, and cultural analysis of the mobile telephony business.
A 'ripping telephonic yarn'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Constant Touch: A Global History of the Mobile Phone (Hardcover)
Good step to understand mobile history

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
peter corley (south benfleet, essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
100% Perfect Transaction.thank you

Constant Touch: A Global History of the Mobile Phone
Constant Touch: A Global History of the Mobile Phone by Jon Agar (Hardcover - 7 Feb. 2013)