on 19 October 2015
This is a great book for dipping into and dropping them into conversation.
on 18 November 2012
I'm not sure rating Mark Forsythe's tomes with so many stars out of five is the most appropriate way. I would prefer to count the amount of strange looks I get for laughing out loud whilst walking to work each morning reading said tome. The Etymologicon was pretty much off the scale. The Horologicon hasn't got me so many funny looks BUT that could be because people are a little more used to me apparently wandering along laughing whilst reading.....in fact it must surely be, because the alternative would be that I haven't laughed out loud in public so much reading this one. I'll go with the former.
on 10 July 2014
Excellent follow-up to 'The Etymologicon', both fascinating and witty.
on 23 January 2015
Hilarious finding unknown ( by me )words for everyday situations
on 27 June 2015
Very enjoyable read. Must learn more of those useful words :)
on 23 August 2014
I didn't like this book nearly as much as The Etymologicon.
on 19 July 2014
Amazing writer. Informative and funny, perfect combination.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 November 2014
Not something to read in one sitting as it will bore you to death. Better to read a chapter, then put it down and do something else for a couple of days. It's very interesting and I'm learning a lot of new words which I slip into conversations to confuse people, but I think I prefer his 'Elements of Eloquence' book if I'm honest.
on 5 October 2014
Wonderful words! And well written. A lovely read.
on 23 April 2013
Hear about this through a radio adaptation and thought it worth a try. It has interesting aspects to it, but I found it a bit forced in places - perhaps didn't hang together all that well. I have yet to finish it.