Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2012
Good little book. The book covers various philosophical questions. It starts off with Socrates and how his asking of questions laid the foundations of things to come. The book touches on lots of subjects such as Doubting things, Seeking evidence, Dealing with death, How language can lead us up blind alleys, What is reality?, Who are we? What is a person?. The book contains the usual list of interesting philosophers: Socrates, Barthes, Sartre, Kant, Descartes, and even a bit of Wittgenstein. A few other Greek philosophers get mentioned. But no Nietzsche or Schopenhauer. Very good book for the price and easy to read as well.
on 13 September 2012
An excellent introduction to philosophy, providing just enough 'meat' in each of the topics covered to leave one with the basic ideas but opening the way to discover more.

But the Kindle edition misses one of the advantages of a digital book compared with a hard copy: the text contains many cross-references to other chapters which I was expecting to be able to select and to be taken directly there. The publishers of the this edition should really have taken the trouble to incorporate the tracking facility. Hence my four star rating.
on 26 April 2012
Knowing nothing of philosophy but interested in how it could be applied to life I bought this book and was very glad I did so and have now bought copies for my friends. I read small bits every few days and although I didn't think at the time it would effect my day to day life I have found myself thinking about things differently - or thinking about some things at all. It doesn't try to change your life but it does try to help you understand what your life is and that was the big impact for me.
I think you should buy this book.
on 11 January 2013
This is an unassuming little book unlike others on the market. It is concise whilst being thorough. I found it well written, thought provoking and digestable.

It is not pretentious or expensive yet covers alot more and better than other books. Well done.
on 22 October 2013
I am no nerd but it's been a while since I tried to understand how philosophy can help me in real life. I must say that the 'everyday' life that this book aims to, it isn't my own idea of everyday life. To me, 'everyday life' means one thing: solving problems. A lot of the dilemmas presented in the book, are pretty pointless and I would not waste my time overthinking them. They seem dilemmas suitable to people with nothing better or more urgent to do.

However, the book is well written, and makes for a good, fast introduction to the more useful sides of philosophy.
on 1 February 2014
So that's what philosophy is all about! This is a great book to set you thinking . . . and re-thinking. The strange thing about philosophy is that, as you read, you don't seem to learn anything NEW - you think you've heard it all before, but it takes someone like Trevor Whatsisname to put it into sharp focus. The theme that runs through this book is simply that it's always worth re-examining what you think you think! You already know your own stance on all sorts of issues. This book asks, in effect, 'Why do you think that? Could you perhaps be wrong?'
on 13 April 2012
Really enjoying this book. I am finding it easy to read, informative and entertaining. Plenty of examples given to help explain the philosophical ideas. A book to make you think
on 10 May 2014
I got this book on a whim, and once I started reading it I found myself enjoying the topic. Given that I'm not all that educated, this book has given me an insight into the subjects that my school friends went off to study at uni whilst I went out into the world of work. The author does a very good job at explaining without labouring any points, and the chapters are often short enough to read one before bedtime each night.
on 29 October 2012
Interesting book. I'd probably have to read it twice for everything to sink in. Very informative although it could have done with explaining to me the more practical aspects of philosophy in every day life that I bought it for. I would also like to see a time line for all the different philosophers but that's me being picky.
on 15 October 2013
This was a brilliant book. Really interesting with lots of facts and relative information about everyday life. It has made me want to delve further into certain philosophers and held my interest the whole way through.
I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.