on 14 May 2010
I was quite disappointed by this book. I was expecting a number of intriguing tales about animals similar to those found in the excellent BBC series (The Life of Mammals, Life in the Undergrowth) instead the whole book read like an introduction, never going into enough detail.

The book would give a line to reference to some extraordinary animal but then would never explain further. In the few places where it did go into more detail, the writing became overly technical and heavy.
on 11 December 2010
Superb book and a must read for all who are fond of animals. It also shows where our own characteristics come from and how close we are to the "animal kingdom".
on 5 October 2009
This is an enjoyable but rather light book - more a collection of fascinating 'case studies' of oddities in nature.
on 6 April 2016
I'm about half way through this book, which is unusual for me, as when I get a book I love I can't put it down. I'm finding this one to be nowhere near as informative as I thought it would be, and actually somewhat repetitive of general, basic information. Maybe it'll pick up in the second half, but I sadly have my doubts.
on 15 February 2010
I was very impressed not only by the content of 'Bats Sing, Mice Giggle', but also by its readily-accessible style. Some of the information I knew already, some I didn't, of course; and some had me wondering why it even needed saying, because I've never underestimated the intelligence of other life-forms. Those who do, I suppose, expect all intelligence to be human in variety: but that's nonsense, because other life-forms live different lives and have different needs.

The section on how we can now get a grip on what happens with bats, mice and indeed cattle, by scientific means, was revelatory - but long enough ago, the basic knowledge was instinctive, and I regret that it no longer is, however intriguing it may be to quantify and explain how and why they do what they do.

(As to the cattle: I was walking my dogs through a big field-full towards the river on one blisteringly-hot June day. The bull, with 2 or 3 of his wives, was lying in the only patch of shade while the rest grazed in the sun. Two of the calves, who had been playing together, began to square up to each other and become quite aggressive. The bull glanced across, got to his feet, strolled down the field, shouldered his way gently between them, and led them off down to the river for a drink. Anthropomorphism be blowed: he was being a good and caring father, looking after his family!)
on 18 October 2011
I enjoyed this book, it was full of fascinating facts, aniaml tales (pun!!) and scientific research. It is quite short and easy to read although I much preferred the later scetions on communication and social interactions than the earlier parts on animal senses.

It does though cover too many small factoids at times, never getting into the more nitty details. It could have done better by choosing a few select stories and showing how they paint the bigger picture and its importance in undertsanding this aspect of animal lives, rather than just loading up a plethora of facts to do that, which at time read a bit too fragmented.

I fear that this overload will leave me forgetting large parts of the book, and leave me with only a slight understanding of how all this relates to the animal world and its links to humanity. All in all worth a read but dont expect too much.
on 2 February 2014
informative and fascinating book, well planned out, read the majority of this book out loud to my partner as he suffered in hospital with a kidney stone; this book kept both of us and many other patients and members of staff occupied and happy.
on 21 May 2012
Title sounds better than it really is. Not particularly interesting which made it difficult to read. Perhaps if you're into that sort of thing,it could be riveting but I didn't & wouldn't recommend it to my friends.
on 27 May 2012
A great factual read. Kindle deal of the day is a great idea. I don't normally choose non fiction but this book was great.
on 26 December 2013
The title is enough, and the facts about natures ay of doing things are made interesting and easy to read