5.0 out of 5 stars Excelllent - A thoroughly enjoyable mine of culture!
Published on 9 Oct 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned
Published on 19 July 2008 by Lindsay Aslan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelllent - A thoroughly enjoyable mine of culture!, 9 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I hadn't realised there were so many strands within Romanticism. Over fifty years of the greatest music, art, philosophy, literature and even science, that the Western world has produced can be found within these pages. So adept is the author at distilling the important information that not once did the book seem to sell its subjects short. I was absolutely absorbed. This was my first Introducing book but if the high standard set by this book is met by the others, I'll certainly be buying many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romanticism, 12 Sep 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Tate Britain had a "two for the price of one" offer on a tall, well-stacked revolving tempter, so I selected the Enlightenment (the one I wanted) followed by Romanticism. Both were secreted up to the counter, paid for quickly and slipped promptly into the Billingham. (One does not want to be seen with "Guides to ... when one should be reading "The Roots Of Romanticism" by Isaiah Berlin or "Romanticism" (Cambridge Contexts in Literature) by David Stevens.)

Having finished the "Enlightenment", I later turned to this book; now used to this interesting series, it was great fun, every page full of b/w illustrations to clarify the text in some unusual, graphic way. Obviously it does not go into great detail but it does deal effectively with the movement with a broad-brush approach.

With its roots in the Enlightenment, "the word 'romantic' derives from Old French 'romanz' meaning the vernacular 'romance' languages that developed from Latin ... Medieval romances are fanciful, heroic, extravagant tales." The first sentences gets down to immediate issues.

Samuel Johnson, Diderot, Jane Austen, Thomas Paine, Thomas Gray, Rousseau, Edmund Burke, Wordsworth, Coleridge and so on; the list seems endless. From the French Revolution in 1789 to the Communist Manifesto of 1884 is the period of Romanticism, ending "with Jackson Pollock (1912-1956) as its doomed Byron" (P 171), the books covers a vast intellectual arena in a very enjoyable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem!, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Introducing Romanticism: A Graphic Guide (Paperback)
This book covers the period of history between and including the French Revolution and the Communist Manifesto. Romanticism is often referred to as 'the problem child' of Enlightenment. I enjoyed it. It covers cultural awareness, literature, art history, philosophy and so on. It's simplistic with a wealth of information. It's approachable enough to be read on the beach!Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars hmmm interesting, 24 Feb 2011
S. Ainsworth (Scotland) - See all my reviews
yes an interesting useful little book. Sort of 'Jackie'magazine style illustration (on every page!!)important Romantic concepts and useful enlightening quotes. I keep mine in my handbag for a quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romanticism for the Uninitiated, 21 Aug 2010
I too was worried that this book would not meet my needs after reading other reviews. However, I have found it extremely useful and informative.

It covers a lot of ground and gets progressively harder. It is highly accessible for anyone new to Romanticism and provides an excellent foundation for study in this area. The drawings are fun and help to illustrate the points.

Don't be put off by the format. If you want a firm introduction to Romanticism without too much heavy text, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to romanticism, 28 July 2010
I was a little bit worried by the others comments when I have bought this book but when it arrived it was a pleasant surprise, it is really an excellent and complete introduction to romanticism. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, 19 July 2008
Lindsay Aslan (England) - See all my reviews
Be warned about this book- it is virtually a picture book with a small amount of text on each page. Every page has a very illustration and about a paragraph or two of text. I was very annoyed at this, as I was led to believe that this book would be useful for my University course, but it was not. I have given the book two stars however, because the text that was in there, did contain some useful information.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible format, 7 Aug 2009
I agree with the other critical review, I'm surprised the Open University recommends this book - maybe they wish to prompt us to read about it all elsewhere. A Philosopher is mentioned, for example, then there's a silly, unnecessary picture with a speech bubble, but nothing interesting or useful is said. The format is like that of a child's book. If this is a bestseller I can only suppose that thousands of people must have bought it and then regretted it.

Introducing Romanticism: A Graphic Guide
Introducing Romanticism: A Graphic Guide by Duncan Heath (Paperback - 4 Nov 2010)
4.74