5.0 out of 5 stars A Serendipitous Find
The Lucky Bugger's Casebook is a fascinating collection of the true stories of the often outrageous good fortune that led people to a startling, wonderful (and sometimes truly bizarre) range of innovations and leaps forward that improve and enhance the lives and bank balances of many of us today, yet which we perhaps take for granted.

Daniel Smith is...
Published on 26 Nov 2009 by Mr. R. Mccann

1.0 out of 5 stars boring Zzzz..
not for me I'm afraid. read several pages flicked through some others and then gpassed it on to a charity shop.
Published 4 months ago by carolemcc

5.0 out of 5 stars A Serendipitous Find, 26 Nov 2009
Mr. R. Mccann "R McCann" (London, England) - See all my reviews

Daniel Smith is entertaining, funny and engaging in this book, in which he reminds us that in life we often find precisely what we didn't know we were looking for, when we search with an open mind in entirely the wrong place.

You will read this book in one sitting, and continually refer back to it when quoting stories to friends and family. A perfect addition to any stocking at this, or any other, time of year. I'm looking forward to a second volume!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Find, 8 Dec 2009
N. Mobbs (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyable light reading. I bought it for that difficult-to-buy-for uncle but opened it for a quick flick through when it arrived and got hooked. It really is very entertaining. I logged on to order another copy...

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm the lucky bugger for finding this one, 17 Dec 2009
G. Verghese - See all my reviews
I wanted to find the ideal present for a close friend and I when heard this advertised on the radio I bought a copy. I was browsing through and it kept me so captivated that I ended reading the whole wonderful book.
I can simply not praise it enough. Needless to say copies are on their way to my brother in law, father and a couple extra friends. Beryl my housekeeper who hasn't been so lucky this year may be finding one in her stocking

I real treasure. Well written and a totally charming treat.

I recommend you to go buy or get gifted one soon.

G

1.0 out of 5 stars boring Zzzz.., 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Lucky Bugger's Casebook: Tales of Serendipity and Outrageous Good Fortune (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Christmas present!!!, 27 Nov 2013
A present for a lucky b........who will be very grateful this year and only he knows why.....I cannot wit to see his reaction to this amusing and informative book

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky bugger's casebook, 10 July 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
While this title leads us to believe that serendipity is all we need, I must add that many of the science discoveries and some of the others were hit upon as a result of sheer hard work. Alexander Fleming is one often-cited case. He wasn't the tidiest about the lab and noticed that some petri dish lids had come ajar - in one a fungal organism had started to grow and was inhibiting the growth of bacteria around it. Penicillin was therefore discovered. But Fleming was a hard worker who spent a lot of time in the lab. If he wasn't the tidiest, he was there, conducting lots of tests. The good luck was that he didn't bin the lot without recording the difference observed.

Other people did seem to be more lucky but again diligent hard work played its part. Harrison Ford was a jobbing actor when he could not get enough parts to support his family. He took up carpentry and worked for a lot of movie and music people before getting to make some cabinets for George Lucas, who after a chat offered him a minor part in a film. Two years later they reconnected and Ford got to play Han Solo in Star Wars. I like the comment at the end of this piece - "Should it all end tomorrow, he must be comforted to know he has a trade to fall back on."

We get looks at science though history, cats, criminally stupid criminals and modern roles in Strictly Come Dancing, which I've never watched. There's a wide variety provided by the author but I preferred the science and invention tales. This is easy dip-into reading and you can use it to entertain others or as a present for someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a stocking filler, 19 Dec 2011
I bought this item for my husband's Christmas stocking. Can't yet say whether he has enjoyed it as he hasn't received it yet but looking through it myself, I can say that I am pretty sure he WILL enjoy it as it looks like a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provider's service, 6 July 2010
I cannot comment on the contents of the book as it was bought as a gift and therefore I have not read it but I would like to comment on the service of the provider.

Everything was exactly as it should have been, the packaging was good, deliver time also good. It was very easy to deal with the provider.

Sorry I cannot comment on the actual reading material.

The Lucky Bugger's Casebook: Tales of Serendipity and Outrageous Good Fortune