5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining
There are a whole lot of guides for sale on how to get into Oxbridge, but this isn't really one of them. It's not that it won't help you, but it's a whole lot more entertaining than that.

Published on 18 Oct 2009 by David Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Do You Think You re Clever?
I found this book interesting but disappointing. The questions themselves were thought provoking but Ifound the answers less than convincing.
Published 18 months ago by Olle Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 18 Oct 2009
David Hall (London, UK) - See all my reviews

There are a lot of myths about the Oxbridge entrance procedures, a lot of them true (somehow I made it into Cambridge, so I know). But the greatest myth is that the questions they ask are somehow impossibly esoteric and unanswerable. In truth, the questions they ask relate to the subjects they teach, and test not just intellectual rigour, but intellectual curiosity.

This book will appeal to the intellectually curious. The rigour is there in the hands of the author, who has covered an impressive amount of ground in researching and contemplating the answers to interview questions from across the spectrum of subjects. (A quick Amazon search, and you'll see he's pretty well qualified to do so.) For every question, taken from real interview, you get a quick few pages' worth of insight.

This is fun, just for the drama of seeing the question, thinking, "God, how would I answer that", and then rolling on to a reassuringly clear and well thought out response, and then wondering, "could I ever have come up with that?". Always interesting, always entertaining, this is highly recommended. (And a good gift for anyone who might be applying.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm starting to think..., 28 Oct 2009
H. R. C. Lord - See all my reviews
This isn't just a book for Oxbridge hopefuls. It's great for anyone with an inquiring mind who likes the idea of firing intelligent comebacks to some of the most bizarre, interesting, and loaded questions that the Varsity's finest have come up with.

There's lots of fun to be had posing the challenging questions to friends and seeing how they cope. And John Farndon's conversational, often humorous tone keeps the book light enough to hold your interest without losing any of its sharpness. Reading `Do You Think You're Clever?' made me think that if I could answer just one of the abstract questions even half as well as the author, then I'd be very pleased with myself - perhaps even smug enough to answer an immodest `yes' to the title question!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm not so stupid after all!, 28 Jan 2014
A fascinating and reassuring read that I can see myself re-reading a few times, and recommending wholeheartedly to anyone who rates themselves a clever-clogs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Every one can learn from this ebook, 14 Dec 2013
Mr. A. Mowatt "humour magnate" (scotland) - See all my reviews
Typically most of us might think we are clever, some may even be arrogantly so.
This ebook has something to offer all that might fall in this category.
I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun reading the questions, 22 Feb 2013
H. Winstanley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do You Think You're Clever?: The Oxford and Cambridge Questions (Paperback)
I enjoyed the challenge of some of the questions and would have answered them differently from the author....but then that's the point. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle the questions so well at 18.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do You Think You re Clever?, 16 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastically thought-provoking and genuinely insightful, 4 Jan 2010
What inspires me about this book lies in its ability to halt the oncoming calculating and conditioned way of answering questions seen in GCSE and A-Level papers. It probably won't help you that much in terms of succeeding academically, not just because its answers are far too 'out-there' to provide these conditioned answers, but also because it is far too entertaining to be of genuine interview use! To be able to see the face of the interviewer whose prospective undergraduate receives the answer to "Are you cool?" of "I'm mildly tepid" (which Farden suggests in the conclusion to this question as an appropriate answer).

This book will appeal to those who think outside the box - i.e. those who have the intellectual curiosity which is so necessary to getting into Oxbridge. I would thoroughly recommend it as a gift for those applying: the author unpacks the questions to make them slightly more manageable, and slightly less daunting. John Farden also manages to capture what Oxbridge are really looking for in their student - they are not interested so much in what you have to say, but rather how you get about saying it. Farden manages to capture this in the way he answers the question. By reading his book, which is fundamentally about thinking in a different way to our mundane daily lives, the reader thinks in ways in which Farden does not - and so further capturing the aim of the book; we think beyond the ideas which are portrayed and so we become more aware about things we would not usually think of or contemplate.

Well done! A thoroughly interesting read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat engaging, 24 Aug 2011
James Law (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This book has some interesting answers to questions that cover a reasonably wide range of topics.

However, if you're looking for a book to help you with your Oxbridge entry: this isn't it. The answers are rarely ones that someone without access to the Internet or previous knowledge of the topic could produce.

3.0 out of 5 stars Me Clever?, 10 July 2014
Not quite what I expected and not that easy going, but still an interesting book and worth buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Jun 2014
Easy to spot errors in subjects I do know about, which made me doubt the other answers. And he completely missed the point of some questions, e.g. The flame in space

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›