5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic...., 10 Dec 2009
O. Gregory - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masters of Design: Great Courses of Colt, Mackenzie, Alison and Morrison (Hardcover)
Everything about Masters of Design is of the highest quality - it is a lovely book. I have been collecting golf books for some time, and I have rarely seen such an impressive combination of fantastic photography and thoroughly researched and interesting chapters. Colt, Mackenzie, Alison and Morrison designed some of the most glorious golf courses in the world - from Cypress Point and Augusta National to Prince's and Royal Melbourne. This book tells of their unique stories and golfing philosophies with great class, flair and insight. Even for someone like myself who knows quite a lot about the game, I found it really interesting to read about the history behind each of their designs and the charming anecdotes and facts behind their development. Not only do you get gorgeous full-page photos of the courses as they are today, but there are also some rare archive photos that I had never seen before. It's one of those books that clearly written and put together by people who appreciate the game. It has taken pride of place in my living room and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf Design Masterwork, 23 Feb 2010
C. Allison (Brechin, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Because I share a name with one of the designers featured (though he was known by his middle name of Hugh) I have always taken a keen interest in the design works of these gentlemen, who set up many of the best courses worldwide.
The dynamic of the group is interesting - Peter Thomson's preface is quite revealing of the considerable Mackenzie publicity machine, while the work of others like Morrison and Alison goes somewhat unheralded....much of their work was overseas. Colt himself was a genius and inspired good work in all his colleagues. The book is beautifully illustrated with both old and new photographs and the text intelligently reflects their large contribution to world golf. I have a biggish collection of golf books and this is one of the best I own. "Masters of Design" - this book is itself a masterwork. Thorougly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masters of Design review, 18 Dec 2009
A. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting for the release for this book and it doesn't disappoint. There are some fabulous insights into the designers and their courses, some great photographs; some of which are from the early part of the 20th century and really are a wonderful timepiece and great for us to see how the course has developed.
Would highly recommend this book.

ARRAY(0xb12fe7b0)