VINE VOICEon 11 January 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a touching, true story about a young girl with a promising tennis career who is struck down with rheumatoid arthritus. The story follows her battle against the disease and how it has changed her life and robbed her of the one passion in life, tennis.

I found the first section of the book quite difficult to get through and found myself checking through the chapters to see when the story of Alice's fight againg RA started. If you love tennis, then you really wont find the first part of the book hard at all because that is what it focuses on.

However, I am glad I battled on and didnt give up because further into the story, I realised just why how much time had been devoted to the tennis career. To understand Alice's loss you have to understand what she has lost.

It was a lovely story, one that will give strength to any person battling against this dreadful disease.
on 23 September 2012
As a RA sufferer myself from a young age, I found this detailed story of Alice so true and moving. The tennis depth of the book is very necessary - to put her altered life into perspective. (It could be any career: the feelings, pain and frustration would be the same) I am full of admiration for the way this young lady is coping with her life! It was a very interesting, emotional, true account of a life altered by illness.
on 11 January 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A book that leads you through the full range of emotions from ambitious teenager with the tennis world at her feet to a still young woman with more experience of life's traumas than most of us care to contemplate.

This is a story of justifiable ambition and determination thwarted by an almost uncontrollable and disabling disease where hope, ambition and determination counted for very little.

Alice Peterson has written a biography from the heart, easily readable whilst tearing at the emotions, she leads us through the desperate endeavours of her parents, friends, teachers and doctors to make her life bearable and to offer her a future worth living. Even small victories were worthy of great elation whilst any big victory always seemed to get further away however hard it was strived for.

A lesson on life and an excellent read although the ending went on a little too long.
on 30 July 2001
Alice's struggle against this debilitating illness makes you realise the important things in life and how we should not take anything for granted. This remarkable story is told with humour and honesty - she admits how hard it has been at times whilst reminding us that she is a young person who is determined to live a fulfilled life. Her accounts of the competitive tennis circuit are fascinating and you learn where she gained her strength of character from. Read it.
I love Alice Peterson's fiction books, and knowing a little bit about her personal background, I was eager to read her book Another Alice, a true story about how when she was at the height of a huge and promising tennis career, was then diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

I don't want to say that I loved this book (even though I did!) because that doesn't quite sound right, but it touched me and it moved me in a way that I haven't felt in a while.

Alice is very honest about her life, and we see her go from a carefree tennis player with huge dreams of a career, to having to suddenly cope with a life-changing illness. I feel that I learnt so much about rheumatoid arthritis, and the way that Alice told her story made it feel as though I was with her every step of the way. We are given such an insight into not only the rheumatoid arthritis itself, but also the emotions, the pain and the hardships that go with it in Alice's daily life. Having mobility problems myself, I really felt that I could identify with some of Alice's feelings and frustrations, and so in particular I was gripped to the book wanting to read more of her journey.

I became so involved in the book - I was truly devastated for Alice as I read about the effect that her rheumatoid arthritis meant for her dreams of continuing playing tennis. When I was paralysed down one side I was only young so I didn't then have hopes and dreams like Alice, but now I think of things I would have loved to achieve in my life that I will never do, and then my heart breaks for Alice all over again because I truly understand and feel her pain.

It is a very inspiring novel - Alice shows such courage, fight and bravery in her determination to pick herself up, move forward and make the most of her life, and turn the negatives into positives. Alice's story touched my heart, had me crying freely and it stayed with me long after I had finished the last page.

I really admire Alice, she is a lovely person both inside and out and I'm so pleased that I was able to read her story and learn more about her. Alice encourages me and inspires me to take each day as it comes and to always look on the bright side, because no matter what, we always have hope, friends and something to smile about. This is a really touching and moving book and I hope everyone reads it.
on 27 October 2012
I bought this book wanting to know about rheumatoid arthritis. I know people who suffer from this crippling disease and wanted to learn more about it.

However a word of warning to those who want to actually know more about rheumatoid arthritis; this book is a memoir and therefore at least the first third of the book is about tennis. For anyone who suffers from the disease there is a lot here they will know already but it is always interesting to know how other people cope.

Alice begins each chapter with an interesting little device about what is happening in the tennis world and what is happening in her world. The book reads very much like a novel and I found it very moving. Alice had no choice but to be brave and she has been quite stoical, finding a new way forward for herself. I will be watching her writing career with great interest.
VINE VOICEon 6 May 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Rarely does a book evoke such a mixture of emotion - sympathy, pity, hilarity and solidarity to name but a few. Not usually my sort of text, the book is an easy read and provides insight into the sometimes unusually difficult and sometimes astonishingly ordinary life of a teenage girl diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. The book offers an account of hope, friendship and family; it challenges the stereotypical perception of a sullen, immature and disinterested teenager and does well to highlight the myth that arthritis is solely a disease of the elderly.

Another Alice touches on issues of mental illness, pain (physical and emotional),psychotherapy and medication and even provides an interesting insight into British popular culture. The author clearly has her own views on the medical management of RA, but generally these issues are handled sensitively and without undue bias. In many ways, medical practitioners would do well to read this book which provides a profoundly holistic account of what might simply be seen as "RA" - a condition that has social, cultural, psychological, physiological and spiritual consequences.

An easy read produced in aesthetically pleasing format, the books only weakness is that it began to drag in the middle, but by the end I felt I was leaving behind an old friend.
on 9 August 2014
Suffering from RA myself from a young age, this book helps you put things into perspective. It is a beautiful story about one young girls struggle against an illness people associate with old age.
It is a great read if you struggle with RA yourself, helps you see that you are not alone and that others feel the same way. It’s great as well if you are a family member of someone with RA as they as well suffer with us. It also sheds some life on how difficult it can be to start over, once your plans have to change because of your illness.
I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in understanding the challenges people might face in light of invisible illnesses.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was a real page turner. At times it was funny,sad and most of all totally full of praise for this lady. Alice Peterson's story of her life with RA is one that was full of courage. Most of us have bad days and think life has given us a low blow, but has it really? Alice had a promising career in tennis with everything to live for, when struck down with this nasty illness. Rather than give in she fought her way back to a life in which she felt fulfilled again. It was one of those books where you really want to get to the end, but hate it when you do! Well done Alice!
We all have our favourite authors and we read all of their books and now with social media we get to interact with them too so some of us feel like we actually know these talented people. Alice Peterson is one of my top 5 authors and I have devoured each of her books and they each have been a joy to read. During some twitter conversations I knew that Alice had originally had dreams set on becoming a successful Tennis player but due to an illness this wasn't possible and now reading her book Another Alice I got to know the whole story.

Alice suffers with chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis which was what lead her to her dreams becoming shattered. She was such a talented player and her future was looking like it was beginning to look bright but then just as she was about to leave for America she was struck by pain that seemed to travel around her body and after tests were done her diagnosis was confirmed.

This is such a heartbreaking read, more so because this is our much loved author not a fictional character who we read about on a daily basis. Alice manages to make her emotions flow through the pages those of pain, devastation, and feeling at such a low point that the only option at time is one of giving up. It was so hard to read the thoughts of such a young lady and a lot of it I could relate to so I did find moments of reading this book that I was blubbering away.

Through her book Alice manages to give the reader an insight to the illness and how it is trying to live with it so this book definitely helps to raise awareness of this debilitating autoimmune disease. For selfish reasons we all love that this inspirational woman keeps providing us with pure talent and enjoyment but the reasons as to why she is now in this career and not a world name on those courts is just so unfair.

I read this book in 2 hours and I couldn't put it down I loved this author before reading this book and I love her more so now, not out of pity for what she went through and what she still faces in day to day life, but because she is such a strong inspirational woman who I admire greatly. It was a pleasure to find out more about this authors journey and as ever she writes beautifully.