5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and extremely readable
Published on 4 Aug 2007 by Howie

2.0 out of 5 stars A self help book, not a science book
This time perception book is written as a 'personal development' book, not a science book. It's very perky, anecdotal and full off "Hey, we all agree on that don't we!" kind of buddy-buddy writing.

Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Rosey Lea

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and extremely readable, 4 Aug 2007
I did read this book very quickly but it felt like very little time passed while I was reading and now I understand why. As the book points out, absorption makes our experience of time seem to contract. While I was reading I recognised so many experiences from my own life and found myself continually in agreement. The author puts forward a very coherent theory which explains the different perceptions of time we experience in a variety of situations. As such it is extremely thought-provoking and plausible. Later the theories becomes more speculative but still plausible and stimulating, dealing with different states of consciousness and unusual experiences of time slowing down or disappearing. All the way through, even when dealing with quite complicated ideas the book is always very easy to read. You're carried along with the energy of the writing and the enthusiasm for ideas. At the end I feel inspired to try to live my live in a different way, making more time for new experience and trying to live in the present and appreciate each moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakfast tv made me buy this book, 10 Aug 2007
M. Sullivan "Train driver" (Ulverston) - See all my reviews
I saw the author on BBC Breakfast whilst eating my cornflakes a couple of days ago. The issues he was talking about seemed interesting but accessible to a non-scientist, non-clever-person like me. And yes, it's a very enjoyable read. Simply laid out with each chapter taking you through to another level of how time can be stretched and shrunk depending on your perception and your circumstances. It's a simple idea well explained, illustrated with episodes from Mr Taylor's own life (as well as famous sports stars etc) that make the more clever-er concepts easier to understand. I'd recommend it. Weirdly, it made a train journey go extremely quickly. Which has to be a good thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars candidate for the book of the year, 17 Aug 2007
Jo (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is full of fascinating insights into why we experience the world the way we do, and in particular the way we experience different perceptions of time. It's one of those books which makes you look at familiar things in a new and fresh light. In particular, I was impressed with the section on time in different cultures, that explains why many indigenous peoples don't have any concept of time or any past or future tenses. Oh to live in one of those timeless cultures! But the book does describe how we can become less focused on time, and even transcend it to some extent. A very absorbing and even life-changing book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A self help book, not a science book, 16 Jun 2010
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Making Time: Why Time Seems to Pass at Different Speeds and How to Control it (Paperback)

The points made are standard stuff (break routines, use new experiences as time markers, engrossing yourself means loss of time senses etc), but there's very little research and evidence beyond the author's own anecdotes - in some cases he even admits they're 'friend-of-a-friend' stories. In short, the author's recommendations for experiencing time are to meditate and move to a different country regularly.

As a book about time perception, it'll do. But there are much better books out there with more facts and fewer personal judgements. For example Time: A User's Guide

3.0 out of 5 stars A Brief History of (our perception of) Time, 24 Jun 2009
"Wilfully unscientific without ever dabbling into pseudoscience" claims the Independent's byline adorning the front cover. For much of the book, I suppose that's accurate. But if cherry-picking case studies in favour of precognition and premonition (then seeking to validate them by drawing incredibly vague parallels with the special theory of relativity or quantum mechanics) isn't pseudoscience, I'm afraid I don't know what is! Even David Icke (simply referred to here as a "New Age writer") is quoted at one point.

But don't click away just yet. The book contains some genuinely absorbing material. It's engagingly written and nicely personalised by Taylor, who comes across as an interesting and agreeable guy, offering up his own reflections and experiences. In addition, most of the core themes are hard to dispute (not to mention useful to live by), such as the wonderful observation that the whole purpose of doing things quickly is supposed to save time, yet if we did things more slowly and mindfully - living fully in the present - we actually create more time.

I wish Taylor would have explored in more depth aspects like professional athletes entering 'the zone' or time slowing down at times of emergency. For me it would have given the book a much firmer footing than the New Agey portions where woolly words like 'energy' and 'transcend' and 'consciousness' are repeated ad nauseum, as if they're revealing something more substantial than they actually are.

Nevertheless, anyone similarly unconvinced by such dalliances can be reassured that there remains plenty of worthwhile material in this book. Sure, it's brief and a little repetitive in parts, but as a reminder to live in the present, I'd say it's still worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotal, and too wacky for some, 25 July 2010
Sadly this book is not written with science in mind. Many of the ideas are 'common sense' (and that is mostly how they are justified as well), and the few 'original' ideas will be a little bit wacky for some. Without judging the views of the author too much, I would just point out that some of them will put certain people off this book. So, one of the key messages of the book is,

'The most important single thing we can do to expand and transcend our sense of time is to regularly meditate.'

I don't think it is unfair to suggest that the author argues that this and some of his other ideas to slow down time are more important for living a 'long' life than exercising and eating healthily. The arguments are often backed up by anecdotes. There is even one from David Icke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but concentrated on the wrong bits, 31 Mar 2009
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a well written book on a very interesting (and neglected) topic.
I was largely convinced by his argument about the volume of new information being the key to time passing faster or slower. Although I have to say this doesn't appear to be a particularly startling idea to me, I'm pretty sure most people would have come to this conclusion themselves.

The book get on to dodgier ground where he treats pre-cognition and other psychic phenomena as scientific or proven, the whole area is awash with fakers and he definitely cherry picks the research.

Finally he basically says that the Buddhist techniques of mindfulness and meditation can alter your perception of time and generally improve your life, I won't argue here, I've tried meditation and it seems pretty useful in calming you down.

However the book is a pretty long run for a short slide, you could read the first couple of chapters and the last chapter without much in the way of loss of information. So worth a read, but take some of it with a pinch of salt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please read the whole review, 14 July 2010
I don't usually waste time writing reviews but felt necessary to do so with this book. And what do I have to say about it...wow! I have never come across a book which has been such a complete waste of time to read! And since this is a book about making time, you can see the irony of it. Some might be taken in by the author, as they may be able to relate to his examples. He'll say things like time seems to fly when you're having fun (i.e watching a good movie, playing video games, sports etc) and time seems to drag when you're bored (i.e doing work, chores etc). Obviously it doesn't take an Einstein to figure that out as you go through life but he'll say to the reader; well, have you noticed how time seems to drag when you're washing the dishes because it's so boring. Some readers will agree and think they're getting something useful from the book and those who are fairly intelligent will realise that this book does not teach you anything new.

He repeats the theme of time passes quickly when you are enjoying an activity (absorbed) and slows down when you are bored (not absorbed) throughout the whole book, in different sets of words which became quite annoying as I felt there was so much repitition of this point and other similar points. In some places the author even contradicts himmself, probably without realising. Let me give you an example from the last chapter of the book: "The idea of transforming ourselves in this way might seem far fetched, but in reality it's quite straightforward. At least, the principles are straightforward - actually putting the principles into practice requires a lot of self discipline and effort". Translated to me that says; it seems difficult but is quite straighforward but actually it is difficult. There are a few other similar contradictions scattered throughout the book.

There are some interesting bits in the book. The author touches upon the topics of ancient cultures and advanced physics, which helped me get through the book but these topics are so brief it wouldn't be worth buying the book just to read these small passages. The whole book is actually like that, where the author goes on to other topics and then seems to forget the core topic of the book and then just takes you in circles. For example, the author dedicates a whole chapter telling us how non absorbing activities help slow down time, which is fine but then concludes at the end that these activities are dull and boring by nature and you wouldn't want to do them. So why go on about it for a whole chapter, why not just explain that in a paragraph or even a page, why did it take a whole chapter? This book can easily be condensed into about 40-60 pages in my opinion.

In summary, this book is probably not worth reading especially if you're attempting to 'make time'. I can sum up the message of the book in one sentence: Meditate as it will help you reach higher states of conciousness where time slows down and eventually you may be able to transcend time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzy logic, 4 Feb 2009
Some very useful info in this book which has definitely clarified my own thoughts. However the "science" is flawed in places. The first few chapters are quite interesting and seemingly written with sound logical reasoning. But as the chapters progress so the scientific analysis becomes increasingly dubious.

For instance, the author says: "Anybody who approaches the evidence for precognition with an open mind will find it very difficult to dismiss" and goes on to list a number of (dubious) case studies which have resulted in successful precognition. However the author fails to mention than countless case studies in which failed to reach such conclusions. Cherry picking results like this is meaningless in scientific analysis. Referencing Stephen Hawking or Einstein does not make the conclusions any more convincing; in fact I found myself questioning the content of the entire book because of the dubious logic employed in the chapter "The Illusion of Time", which is a great pity.

Logical reasoning aside, the book does highlight the interesting concept of time flow, and demonstrates how to manipulate our own thoughts to control our sense of time. The precise way in which the author labels his conclusions is the saving feature. For that it's worth the money.

Read the last two chapters - the remainder can be dismissed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Timely!, 14 Nov 2007
We all experience time. It is something that we are always aware of and yet it is a mystery. In this fascinating book Steve Taylor makes us re-evaluate exactly what time is for us on a personal, and psychological basis. Anybody interested in the mind and how it relates to reality will find this a terrific, challenging and informative read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›