5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!
Excellent book.Have loved all of her books but this one was a real page turner that kept me awake at night.Her best so far,
Published 20 months ago by yellow top

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting back on form, but.....
Published 10 months ago by Damo Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting back on form, but....., 18 July 2014
This is the 4th in the Jo Bermingham series but she hardly features in this one. This time it is her sidekick Gavin Sexton who is the main lead – but he seems to have had a complete personality transplant. His actions in the first chapter are totally out of character and unconvincing. I’m glad to say that the plotline this time was less far-fetched than the nonsense in the previous book, although the missing child coincidence at the end was a bit much and unnecessary.

The mystery of Gavin’s wife’s suicide was an underlying current in the previous books but it was all resolved very simply (but entirely unconvincingly) and left an unsatisfied feeling – especially given the cliff hanger at the end of the previous book. It’s as if the author knew she had to put an end to it but didn’t know how.

I find the author frustrating. It is obvious that she can write, build characters and create innovative plotlines, but I would expect more depth and punch from an experienced crime reporter. Her books come across as superficial, going for easy descriptions and emotional hits rather than a really good in-depth novel. More tabloid than broadsheet, alas!

However, her books are readable and I’ve read all four in the series so she’s doing something right.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 9 Sept. 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have always enjoyed this series featuring DI Jo Birmingham, and the last book was left with a potentially great start for the next book. The synopsis also sounded intriguing so I was really keen to get started with the latest instalment in the series. What threw me overall was how little Jo actually featured in this book. I think you would be hard pressed to say 25%! Instead we get to see her colleague Gavin Sexton take more of a central lead along with DS Aishling McConigle.

The story sounded intriguing, but what frustrated me was the feeling that the general story was very disjointed. There were huge sections on the `if's, buts and maybe's' and not enough of everything else. I also managed (don't know how) to get really confused keeping track of all the teenagers names. This alone, and then coupled with the fact that Jo Birmingham features so little made me feel like this book just didn't fit.

I also don't recall Gavin Sexton being such an idiot! It seemed like he had morphed into a different character in this book and I felt like I was reading somebody's first (and clumsy) attempt at a series. The book wasn't a total write off and there are glimmers of O'Connor's talent as an author. But I felt like the series had made a shift that wasn't necessary. Overall, and towards the end of the book it seemed to be coming together a little more and my interest was higher than it had been. That said, this was way off the mark for NOC, and I ended up feeling really disappointed.

I have been a fan of this series, but as I've said in previous reviews for her books; I feel like I'm waiting for the brilliance to shine through. Thankfully, the book ended with an insight and (hopefully) the return of Jo back as the lead character (which is as it should be!). I hope that people continue reading this series and don't base all of her books on this single one as I feel the readers would be missing out. I never like giving books such low star ratings, but I really couldn't justify any more that this based on this story alone. I can only hope that the next book sees the return of that great writing Niamh O'Connor has produced in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 18 Sept. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Blink by Miami O'Connor, 30 Aug. 2013
I didn't give it 5 stars because although I enjoyed this book, it wasn't quite as good as the author's previous ones.

A very good storyline if a bit far fetched.

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BOTHER, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Blink (Paperback)
The storyline was a bit jumbled - I had trouble following it.
The culprit seemed a bit far fetched and didn't seem to fit the story.
I would not recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Blink (Paperback)
Excellent read

Blink
Blink by Niamh O'Connor (Paperback - 15 Aug. 2013)