5.0 out of 5 stars up close and personal
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Neil Ansell

3.0 out of 5 stars pilgrim at tinker creek
This is a very difficult book to review as I am uncertain what I think about it! It was more readable than I thought as it is descriptive stream of consciousness stuff. Dull in parts and very beautiful and thought provoking in others.
Published on 8 Jan 2012 by clare

5.0 out of 5 stars up close and personal, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (Paperback)
Annie Dillard's thoughtful and meditative book is of course a renowned classic of nature writing, but as this new edition has not yet received a review I thought I would have a go. What makes this book stand apart from much nature writing is its sense of intimacy. For much of the book she focuses on the small things of life and examines them with a clear-eyed and unflinching gaze. I first read this book when I was about 14 or 15, and its sense of trying to search for some kind of meaning in the world around us resonated strongly with me at that age. As children we are fully open to the small mysteries of life, to the comings and goings of the bugs and the wild flowers, but as we get older our focus changes, and we become more preoccupied with the bigger picture. Dillard retains that sense of childlike wonder at the world, and reminds us of what we have lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars What all nature writing is trying to be, 20 July 1999
By A Customer
Annie Dillard is more alive than anyone I have ever known including myself. Her words are captivating as they create images of a natural world that pulses with spirituality even in its moments of raw cruelty. She does not pontificate about nature, admitting that she is only writing as an observer. Nonetheless, her writing is wise, reminding us that events as simple as changes in the light or the unexpected sight of a muskrat for a second is like a gift from the universe. For the first time in my life, a warm fuzzy feeling of wonder and gratitude for simple existence filled me when I read this book. And I know I will feel it again every time I open Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. As a wannabe environmentalist who has read as much nature writing as I have been able to get my hands on in my 16 years, I would place Annie Dillard right up there with Rachel Carson at the top of my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Path to Return to..., 12 Jun 2003
This review is from: Three by Annie Dillard (Paperback)
Annie Dillard is a master of image and metaphor, mixing nature, philosophy, science and drama into essays that at times make me hold my breath in wonder. I return to her books again and again, reading bits to friends, teaching essays to students. She is not "easy" but the immersion is well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dillard's images smell of nature., 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Three by Annie Dillard (Paperback)
Dillard's polyphony of images creates a roundness and depth unfathomed by most modern nature writers. Overlapping images brings breath to observation. Her's are not images of nature upon the dissection table, but nature alive and exuding itself. Her observations pierce the bone and marrow of nature revealing the transcendence and sacrament that is man's experience with nature. Her writings give off the scent of true experience, true life and true thought. Dillard is quite possibly the premiere essayist of our period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book changed the direction of my life., 12 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I read this book while a fundamentalist Christian in seminary studying for the ministy. It literally changed the direction of my life. It was the language that at first seduced me; not a page is wasted, not a word out of place, not a throw-away metaphor. It sings with a beauty and sense of utter awe that I have never witnessed in another writer. Dillard taught me to trust my own inner voice, to see the world with eyes that were fully open. It started me on a long path that continues to this day, thinking for myself, observing and embracing the small everyday currents that resonate so deep with my spirit. Annie is a kindred soul, a witness to the utter mystery and joy of a life lived with eyes and heart attuned to the vibrant exuberance of the spirit. I have given hardback copies of Pilgrim to many fellow pilgrims and have made rereading it a yearly spiritual service. This is must reading for all serious seekers after beauty, truth, and a spiritual path that does not deny the mysteries of life. Annie is a fellow pilgrim who does not fail to ask the difficult questions, the felicity and power of her prose sings with an authenticity that is impossible to deny. This is one of the most important books of the later 20th century and I recommend this book to all seekers after beauty and spiritual refreshment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep coming back to this book..., 12 July 1999
By A Customer
I first read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek as an undergraduate at Southwest Missouri State University, in an exposition class. I loved it then and I love it now. I am currently taking a graduate seminar on approaches to teaching literature and have been given the opportunity to design my "dream course." Annie Dillard's Pulitzer Prize-winning literary journey is at the top of my list. I am disappointed to read the few comments from readers who didn't enjoy this book--I suspect they have not taken the time to fully explore Dillard's vision. The work is rich with details that are not just there for the sake of description. It is a carefully crafted prose narrative that delves into theology, existentialism, transcendentalism, and natural history, addressing the relationship between man and God. I would recommend reading Linda L. Smith's book, entitled Annie Dillard (one of Twayne's United States Authors series), for an enlightening analysis of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, and other works by the author. If you are willing to open your eyes and mind wide enough, you will surely discover Pilgrim at Tinker Creek's treasures.

5.0 out of 5 stars My theme book..., 1 April 1999
By A Customer
This book has become a comfort book for me, espcially since I'm originally from southwest VA, where Dillard wrote Pilgrim. I'm in NY at school now and reading it is cathartic in a way...it takes me home.
But over and above that, it's a meditation on the Divine and on Nature and how the two relate that still resonates deeply with me. I have yet to find "the tree with the lights in it," which constitutes a large part of her discussion of Seeing. But the book itself is like a tree with the lights in it, at times. The lights of Divine inspiration.
Read this book slowly and let it bring the broken parts of you back together...you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A profound nurturing of my soul, 21 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Annie Dillard speaks to me as no other author does. I travel with her on her pilgrimage, revel in her landscapes, ponder her microscopic probings of worlds beyond the scope of most of us and - laugh - with her at the absurdities so many of us accept as "Gospel". She is my "morning read" many days and my days are richer for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and moving, 30 April 1997
By A Customer
This book is one of the best I have ever read! It is thought provoking and wonderfully written. It's beautiful imagery takes you on a leave of your own world. It touches a place hidden in most people and lets you feel as if you were actually at Tinker Creek.

3.0 out of 5 stars pilgrim at tinker creek, 8 Jan 2012

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard (Paperback - 29 April 2011)
7.71