on 13 June 2010
This book looks thoroughly into the aspects of research writing not only from the language aspects but also from the structure. I personally, being a non-native-speaker, found it as a priceless guide because it features useful vocabulary, tips, examples and step-by-step guiding. This book was of a great help during my struggle towards the first journal publication.
on 12 June 2011
Excellent Guidance for Academic Writing!! I wish I found this book at the early stage of my PhD. Love format and writing style of the author - clear, concise, interesting and easy to follow on boxes of conclusion in each chapter. I would like to meet her in person one day. Super woman :) Impressive :)
on 28 November 2013
It's a good book,full of advice and terms.It is clear and divided into sections corresponding to the section of a scientific paper. I really like it.
on 15 April 2016
This a brilliant book that helps with writing an academic paper for publishing, but also any research dissertation (BSc, MSc or PhD). I feel that it is not suitable only for non-native speakers of English, but also for English speakers who are writing their first academic work. It has grammar and writing skills sections and an excellent vocabulary list including examples of how the words and phrases are to be used. It is published by Imperial College Press and that in itself is a mark of quality.
on 4 July 2012
I came across this book whilst visiting a colleague in Italy who thought very highly of it. I thought it might be of value to our students so I had a look through and saw that whilst it had much to recommend it, it also had some fundamental errors that I could not condone:
- the use of the term 'Methodology' for Methods. Methodology is the study of methods and in most contexts is not directly substitutable for the word Methods.
- It recommends putting discussion in the Results. My colleague in Italy had followed its recommendations and submitted a paper, and received feedback from the journal that there was Discussion in the Results.

I don't have the book to hand so cannot go through it with a fine-tooth comb but I was sufficiently concerned given these mistakes that I felt I had to flag them up here. On the plus side, the book appears to provide lots of examples of the way English is used. I hope a 2nd edition comes out that addresses the weaknesses since this book has the potential to be very useful.
on 12 March 2016
This is enormous help at writing something Academic. The author has substantial experiene and understanding problems of the foreign students. There is a huge vocablurary which can be applied for writing. The author is also an excelent teacher.
on 29 December 2013
The most favorite I like the book is for non-native speakers. The book has comprehensive content for fresh people who is the first time to write research dessert.
on 31 July 2014
Very useful; most probably the best of its kind.
on 5 March 2016