on 9 March 2011
I will definitely be referring to this book when I am out and about. Starting with practical advice on getting the best from our countryside, it then covers mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, fish and bugs. What I particularly like is the fact there is a photo showing every species in its natural habitat, as well as a clearly labelled drawing - the combination makes identification really secure. There is a 'Super fact' for every species - good for showing off in front of your friends! Circles to tick on each page give a good record of what, when and where, as well as the 'notes and pictures' section to complete. The little diagrams showing scale are excellent. Young naturalists will treasure these books and they will be great to look back on as grown ups. There are glossy identification charts with stickers to encourage and reward children. This would make a perfect start of summer holiday gift - so much fun and information in one place - brilliant.
on 18 March 2012
I bought this for my six year old grandson. I thought that he was a little young for it but he would grow into it. A few weeks ago we went out for a couple of hours looking at the signs of spring. He is loves to see and talk about what he sees and detects. Bird life, badger trails, fox hairs caught under a fence, snowdrops and catkins. He needs to record what he sees and this book is perfect for that and provides lots of information. I love the way that it compares the critters we see with the size of a domestic cat. We've just been acquired by one who dropped in one day and eventually moved in permanently. Well done the two of us are well on the way to being good wildlife detectives.
on 11 June 2012
I don't normally leave reviews, in fact this is my first, but I do believe in giving credit where it's due.

I bought this book as a present for my 8 year old stepson, and was totally impressed. Here's why:

* There's lots of it. No skimping on content. Very extensive.

* Very informative. Not just the basics, but a lot for a child to get stuck in to and learn

* Good layout. No point in having lots of information, if it's served up in a way that means no one wants to read it.

* Excellent value for money. You get all the above for well under a tenner.

Job done.
on 4 December 2012
Bought this having read the other reviews. Book is excellent value for money. Lots of information, written clearly, clear photographs so you know exactly what you are looking for. They have used a domestic cat silhouette for comparison on the animals. Great idea as everyone knows the size of a cat. Plenty room to add your own notes, stickers also provided. Think this will give hours of fun & interest to kids young & old.
on 17 December 2012
bought this for my son's (2.5 and 5) they love using it to find animal tracks and other wildlife stuff
on 21 October 2014
Bought this for my eight year old granddaughter and she loves it. My only hesitation about giving it 5 stars is that some quite common countryside critters are glaringy absent in what is essentially a 'spotters' book and that's a shame.
on 26 April 2013
This is not just a book for children...it is for all ages. The information is easy to understand and all readers benefit from this. Good photographs and excellent detailed drawings. This book is a must for everyone.
on 29 July 2012
I did like the format and content of this book and look forward to using it in the near future. The book arrived in very good condition, as offered.
Many thanks
Ian Hulley
on 1 January 2015
Really great book for getting kids outside and away from tv, even rainy days my son wanted to walk the common with his book to use the stickers, and learn about wildlife.
on 10 July 2014
Excellent book for those interested in British wildlife. Particularly good for the younger readers.