5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT READ FROM START TO FINISH
KIMBERLY CHAMBERS BOOKS ARE ALL GREAT, THIS ONE HOWEVER IS BLINDING, ITS THE FIRST TIME IV LAUGHED OUT LOUD WHILE READING, ITS FULL OF HUMOUR BUT ALSO A LOT OF SADNESS, JUST BUY THIS, YOU WONT BE DISAPONTED, CANT WAIT TILL THE NEXT NOVEL(THE FUED) IS RELEASED
Published on 8 Nov. 2009 by Angie Mcewen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other books but still ok
Although I enjoyed this book I think it was my least favourite of the author's so far. I found most of the characters fairly horrible, with the exception of James, Maureen and Maria perhaps, but them aside everyone else was pretty horrible, and even the 3 more likeable ones didn't really engage me. Ethel was vile and course, and Tommy and Susan despicable. I find it...
Published on 13 Aug. 2011 by JM

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT READ FROM START TO FINISH, 8 Nov. 2009
Angie Mcewen "asbo" (scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal!, 8 Dec. 2009
C. Madden "maddca" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
Another page turner from the writer tipped to take over Martina Cole, along with Jessie Keane and Mandasue Heller. This story is full on from the first page. If you like a tale about prisons, dysfunctional families, drink and drugs, the odd graphic sex scene thrown in for good measure then read this. However, this is not for the faint hearted. If easily offended by bad language then this may not be suitable because there is a huge amount of it on every page! Having said that, this novelist can tell a great story and I would imagine the language just makes it seem more real.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 5 Dec. 2009
bert (south wales uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Betrayer (Hardcover)
This book was read in 2 days it was so good I couldn't put it down It is was page after page of thrilling reading the story was excellent and I cant wait for the follow up called "sweet baby James" which is already on pre-order Kimberley Chambers is by far the best Author out of them all she leaves Martina Cole and Jessie Keane standing

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 21 Feb. 2010
Elizabeth Liddiard "LIZ" (ROMFORD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
I have read the previous two books by Kimberley Chambers and thought that they were great and would highly recommend them. This book - The Betrayer - however, is something else, it is amazing from start to finish. The characters are great and it really has everything, it is funny, sad, gritty, shocking and absolutely fantastic. I won't tell you the plot as that's unfair, but the ending is so well done. If you like Martina Cole books then you must read this as I have to say, it is definatley up there with her better books, in my opinion. Slightly softer I think, as you won't find youself praying so often that someone next to you on the train isn't looking over your shoulder and reading too!! or closing the book up so that you can bearly see it!! All I can say is that I highly recommend this book, she is an amazing writer and I have written the date of her next release (4th March) on my calendar as I can't wait to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow and more!!!, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
What a relif to have an author to replace Martina Cole!! This book is a great read draws you in from the first page and keeps you hooked!! I read this in a few days could not put it down, I love Kimberley Chambers style of writing and look forward to reading more from this fantasic new(ish) author. I really hope there will be a sequel to this book but I will wait as you have to wait for a good book!!
Role on The Fued!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars How on earth have I not read KC before?, 27 Oct. 2010
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Story

Maureen Hutton lives on a council estate in the East End of London with her three children. Her husband was a waste of time alcoholic who never helped her and she has had to go it alone ever since. Maureen's life over four decades sees the ups and downs of her family's life. Unfortunately when she is told a secret that may tear her family apart she has no choice but to get rid of the betrayer before it is too late.

Opinion

Okay first off, what planet have I been on? Why on earth I haven't picked up a Kimberley Chambers book I do not know. What I do know is that every book she has written I have now ordered and I have no intention on missing out on her future releases.

Kimberley Chambers has written a book that reminded me of the first book I read by Martina Cole. Her style is something of a slap in the face. It's hardcore reality and immerses you from page one. I actually picked this book up because of the rave reviews here on Amazon. Of each of her 5 books, none of them have rated less than 4.5 out 5 stars ranging from a minimum of 9 reviews up to way over the 30's. This alone was enough to grab my attention. I randomly decided to choose The Betrayer as it had a whopping 15 reviews rating it as 5 star. Thankfully, all 15 people were right!

The book itself starts off by introducing us to Maureen Hutton in 1975. We meet her three children, Tommy the eldest son, Susan the middle daughter and her youngest son James. Living on a council estate in the east end of London in the seventies is difficult for anybody, but for Maureen it is all she knows.

Her children are all completely different and we watch as each of their lives revolves around decisions they did or didn't make when they were younger. No matter what happens to them they can always rely on their Mum. The story picks up pace from the word go and we see Maureen's eldest son Tommy make a choice that affects the rest of his life and that of his family. It sets the precedent for their futures and as usual Maureen is the glue that holds them all together.

Kimberley Chambers has an uncanny knack of making you feel like you are living their lives alongside them. The characters she created makes for real emotion towards each one and by around chapter five I had an intense loathing for Tommy Hutton. As the years progress we see her children grown up and break away from Maureen all doing their own thing. Some of their lives they keep secret from her for fear of upsetting her. Maureen's daughter is also somebody that I instantly disliked although James, the youngest son I fell in love with.

The story itself immerses you into a world where drug addiction, the underworld and dysfunctional families is all part and parcel of everyday life. If you are easily offended then you may not like the language in this book but for me it is what makes it all the more real. There is no hiding from the reality of being brought up the way the Hutton's were and everybody'd secrets get dragged out over time.

I love the fact that the story was set over four decades and this just made the reality set in even further. I almost had a longing to find out what was going to happen and was annoyed that I couldn't read faster.

Kimberley Chambers is genius and has produced a top notch book that Martina Cole and Mandasue Heller fans will love. She is certainly creating her niche and in my opinion is one her way to fighting for the crown of the best female crime writer around! If I was you and you haven't heard or read Kimberley Chambers before, I suggest you start right now. Trust me, if you don't you may well regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brillant book, 20 Jan. 2010
Mrs. Tracy A. Smith (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
I have read all Kimberley Chambers books and they have all been brillant. This book is interesting from the start to finish and even leaves you feeling "oh my god he be back". Very funny in places and very sad in others. Would recommend and cant wait for her next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valerie, London, 12 Feb. 2010
Mrs. V. Simon (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
The Betrayer is one of the best books I have ever read, absolutely brilliant, I couldn't put it down. Definitely Kimberley's best to date. In parts it was hillarious, as well as gripping and sad. What a brilliant writer she is. I feel lost now that I have finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move Over Martine!!!, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Betrayer (Kindle Edition)
I Love Kimberley! I have followed Martine Cole for many years, impatiently waiting for her next book. But I have been disappointed with her last 2-3 books, so much so I havent even downloaded her latest......because I found Kimberley! She has the same earthy writing style but her books are pure storyline from start to finish instead of pages and pages of narrative describing each character in minute detail. Engrossing, addictive and compelling I lose myself in her world and fall in love with the baddies everytime. The families are very, very bad, but their victims are sometimes even worse which can divide your loyalties as each page turns. I am now reading Kimberley's latest The Trap....the cooking, cleaning and probably even getting dressed will be forgotten for the next few days. I'm back in the East End with my favourite author!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Read, 8 April 2010
This review is from: The Betrayer (Paperback)
What a blinding read from a great author once again. This tips on the original Martina Cole scope of writing. Its a book that once you have picked up you will find it very difficult to put down.

Although I am a great Martina fan, I do feel of recent her books have dried up a tad and she needs to set the fire alight again.

If you enjoy Miss Chambers style of writing then I would suggest reading June Hampson, Roberta Kray, Helen Black and Jessie Keane, move aside Martina and Mandasue you have some very serious competition.

Enjoy your read people!!!!

The Betrayer
The Betrayer by Kimberley Chambers (Paperback - 18 Mar. 2010)