4.0 out of 5 stars No Longer Clueless
The first half of this, largely, excellent book traces the careers of a small group of satirists and comedians from Cambridge Smokers to Clue via Footlights, revues, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, The Goodies, Hello Cheeky and numerous other less well remembered projects and, over that time, there are comedy connections to most of the greats of the last 40 years. It is...
Published on 23 Dec. 2009 by T. Mantripp

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information
Being a long time devotee of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, this book seemed to be right up my street. The title `The Clue Bible - a fully authorised history of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' and the clever cover illustration, depicting the last supper but featuring seven Clue stalwarts, indicated that it would tell me all about the programme of which the latest series showed...
Published on 10 Feb. 2010 by Bantam Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Jem's Gem, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Fully Authorised History of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue: The Clue Bible from Footlights to Mornington Crescent (Paperback)
It stands to Robert's credit that ISIHAC is only first mentioned on page 162 of this 350 page book. Any treatment of the history of this most beloved of BBC Radio comedies would be incomplete without first examining its roots going back to immediate post-Cookian Footlights era. Robert's details this history in a style that is part scholar, part fan-boy and somehow the mix works delightfully.

It would also be remiss of me not to remark that this is a book for die-hard, fundamentalist ISIHAC fans only, but then again, is there any other kind?

It is rumoured that the first edition of this book included the complete Mornington Crescent rules in the Appendix, but was removed in later editions due to copyright and legal issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Clued Up, 13 Oct. 2010
Almost as many pages as the bible and yes split into two testaments! The first section concentrates on Footlights and I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. I was surprised at the talent that that radio programme generated and who wrote it.... The second section is all about "Clue" and Chairman Humph. It has some very insightful commentary from members of the team and was fascinating to read.

Definitely worth buying if you like Clue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats sleeping pills, 27 April 2011
ISIHAC has often restored my will to live, and now this detailed history is helping me get to sleep. Not because it is boring, but because I find it relaxing to read about all those remembered and forgotten episodes, interspersed with masses of things I didn't know about Samantha & co. I am looking forward to the remaining couple of hundred pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars ISIHAC perfection, 7 Nov. 2010
Any ISIHAC fan will find this a perfect addition to their collection. Brilliant stories and jokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of very happy memories, 1 Jan. 2013
These are the comedians I grew up with and time has only made them funnier. I introduced my children to the humour of Messrs Cryer, Lyttleton, Brooke-Taylor, Garden, Oddie and Rushton and delighted in seeing that the humour is timeless. This book is a wonderful look behind the scenes and is a must for all ISIRTA and ISIHAC fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars ISIHAC, 21 Jan. 2014
Waht a good book. A thorough examination the history of, and the eventual current show that is ISIHAC. If you are interested in the show and indeed the wider evolution of radio comedy, then this is a good read for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The antidote to radio comedy books, 1 Jun. 2014
Excellent read. An exhaustive account of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue and everything leading up to and between the two. A joy for fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb. 2013
Very complete review of post-Kenneth Horne British radio comedy. Excellent coverage of ISIRTA and Clue personalities and programme development. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough but slightly disappointing, 30 Aug. 2010
I bought this because I am a huge fan of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and can chant all the catch phrases. The 'behind the scenes' stuff was fascinating and explained quite a lot that wasn't obvious from this side of the radio! However, the big downside was the use of coarse language. When reporting a conversation, this is a necessary evil but I can see no excuse for using it in the narrative. I suspect that, given the current use of the English language, the author may not have realised that he was using it. But it jarred each time - possible more so because ISIRTA made an effort to select the right word for each occasion.
It was good to see that the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch - "we were so poor that .... " - got its correct accreditation. ISIRTA often gets left out when the development of British humour is discussed and, for people of my generation, it was obviously a major cornerstone.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for die hard fans - no Mr Willis not the film..., 17 Jun. 2014
Ian Barker (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're a fan of the long-running Radio 4 antidote to panel games, you'll find this book packed with interesting and amusing information. If you're not a fan there's a good chance you won't find it at all.

It's a long book and for at least the first 50% you could be forgiven for thinking that it was one book to the theme of another. It traces the protagonists' pre-Clue careers from the Cambridge Footlights. It also devotes a lot of time to the anarchic forerunner of Clue, the fusion of Goodies and Python that was I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

None of this makes it a bad book, it's all good stuff, with the odd script extract to keep you laughing as you go. It also stops shortly after Humph's death so there's little about the show's more modern incarnation.

In summary, entertaining but probably one for the die hard fans.