4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Betrayer but a great read!
~Story~

Published on 22 Nov. 2010 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Read
I was a big fan of Martina Cole up until I came across Kimberly Chambers books..this was the 1st one I read & found it very good & interesting..loads of twists, would def recommend it to others. looking forward to reading her other books.
Published on 30 Oct. 2010 by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Betrayer but a great read!, 22 Nov. 2010
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
~Story~

Debbie Dawson makes the fatal error of falling in love with Billy McDaid. When Debbie announces to her mother June that she is pregnant by the low life drug dealer Billy, June realises that life will never be the same. Debbie's brother Mickey has just come out of a stint in prison and is determined to make his life better and that includes protecting his mother and sister. When Debbie gives birth to Charlie, it seems that the little boy is pure evil. Not only is he sadistic and nasty, he is about to be the start of what tears the family apart.

~Opinion~

I have only recently discovered Kimberley Chambers having read The Betrayer which was a first class read. Born Evil was the second book Kimberley Chambers wrote and although I loved it, it wasn't as good as The Betrayer. I think this is a sign that Kimberley Chambers is getting better with each book she writes.

Probably the first thing to note is that this book is gritty realism at its best and that includes swearing and violence. If this isn't something you particularly like then maybe this isn't the book for you. Having said that, it's not something that bothers me and I think it adds to the realism of the characters and setting.

This book starts by introducing us to Debbie at a young age when she first meets Billy and we get to see just how destructive he is on her life. When she falls pregnant she decides that although young she wants to make a go of it with both Billy and the baby. I admit that although Debbie is the centre of the story I didn't really warm to her that much. By the middle of the book I wanted to strangle her for her stupidity, and by the end of it I hadn't made my mind up what sort of a person she was. The fact that I got so irritate by her can in my opinion only be a sign of good writing on the author's behalf.

The book is staggered over the years and we see Debbie move on from her life with Billy to one where she spends time with her mum June and her brother Mickey. In addition to this we have Mickey's best friend Steve who I adored. The story itself was weaker than her other book but only in the sense that I could see what was coming. Although this wasn't as good as the first I read I still thought that it could walk all over the kind of books Martina Cole is producing right now.

I am pleased that I have finally found an author who seems to be gaining a massive fan base very quickly and her work seems to get better with each book she writes. This certainly wasn't the winner out of the two for me but was still a fantastic read.

MY STAR RATING: 7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Read!, 13 Nov. 2009
Kath "book maven" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born Evil (Hardcover)
This is a new author I came across and although she has not written too much but will be looking out for her further books. She is very similar to how Martina Cole used to write before she went off the boil! Good grounded characters and with plenty of twists - I await your further books Kimberley!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 1 Dec. 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
I don't nornally read books like these, the sort by Martina Cole etc, I think they're too depressing, but having seen the excellent reviews this got I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did because it's a cracking read, easy to get into, good plot, the sort you don't want to put down. It leaves you thinking too, although Charlie is truly evil, it must be so hard to be in Debbie's position, he is her son after all, how would you cope in the same situation?

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 30 Oct. 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from Chambers, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Chambers and I liked it as much as the first. From the start I wasn't keen on Debbie, who I felt got worse at the end but all the other characters were exciting. The storyline about Charlie was totally gripping and reminiscent of 'Little Freddie' in Martina Cole's The Take.
I read this in two days, it didn't disappoint and I'm looking forward to reading her third book. A great new author.....about time too

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
The second Kimberley Chambers book I've read and I couldn't put it down. Read it in two days. I've gone off Martina Cole now as her books are getting very 'samey' and Kimberley Chambers seems to have got what Martina Cole has lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty crime, 4 May 2013
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
You know when you pick up a Kimberley Chambers, Mandasue Heller or Martina Cole book you know what your going to get. Crime, swearing, relationship dramas, violence and usually sex of some description and your never let down. Debbie is our main character, it starts off with her telling her mum about her unplanned pregnancy with a rather undesirable character bringing shame on the respectable household. Debbie won't listen to reason and runs off with Billy, she knows life will be perfect. The story follows her shocking reality and the harsh truth of her step fathers words about her man and now she has made her bed, she must lie in it.

I started this last night before bed and was only going to read a few chapters, 100+ pages in and after 1am I was still reading. The characters are rough, aggressive and swear like troupers, you don't have to think too hard about the plot as your sucked into their grimy world and all the drama.

Some of the story is quite shocking, these characters are for the most part undesirable and Charlie, Debbie's child, has echoes of Kevin from Lionel Shriver's book. He makes for a very unlikeable character, somewhat like his father however he has darker and viler depths. I hated most of these characters but not in the way you want to stop reading, more you would like to throttle them. I did have a soft spot for Mickey, although he is a criminal, into illegal activities, swears like a fish wife he has a heart of gold and a strong sense of family loyalty. The book ended a wee bit premature for me, I wanted it to keep going and they say an author who keeps the reader wanting more is doing their job. I just hope miss Chambers is going to do a sequel to this book sometime, 4 out of 5 for me this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 26 Oct. 2010
Mrs. Tracy A. Smith (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
really love kimberley chambers books and this was brillant. It was well written and feel the characters come alive. Very gritty and mean villians in this book would definately recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars move over martina, 11 Mar. 2009
Ms. J. Hart "jules" (essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born Evil (Hardcover)
this book was absolutley brillient even better than billie jo the dialouge and characters are amazingly real and the story grips you from the start this is the second kimberley chambers novels i have recently read and she deffinately takes over from martina and mandasue as my favourite author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born Evil - spoiler alert, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Born Evil (Kindle Edition)
I read this in around a week and I couldn't put it down. It was fast paced and I just couldn't get enough. I believe that there are people out there who are born evil and this book definitely captured this. It kind of put me in mind of "We need to talk about Kevin."
I hated Charlie with a passion and he made my skin crawl. Billy also made me feel like this. I hated how Debbie stuck up for him in anything he did.
Debbie was too soft on him for my liking and was blind to how nasty her son really was. I would have like to have seen Mickey do him in instead of the easy prison route but I suppose that is reality.
Very well written and I will definitely read more from this author. The only think I say is that, being from Glasgow I noticed that some of the patter Billy used was from the East of Scotland and Southern Scotland. But apart from that, one of the best books I have read in ages. Well done Ms Chambers x

Born Evil
Born Evil by Kimberley Chambers (Paperback - 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01