4.0 out of 5 stars More for the retirement fund ?
I liked this book. Anyone looking for a biography will be disappointed as it is simply a collection of remeinisisances from his colourful past.

Published on 27 Sep 2008 by Bertie Posthethwaite

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes! No... Maybe...
Published on 24 Aug 2008 by Aria-May

4.0 out of 5 stars More for the retirement fund ?, 27 Sep 2008
This review is from: Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wondrous Stories (Hardcover)

It is a little disjointed, but this is catered for in the text and actually says so. Having seen a large number of his shows, this was the book I was waiting for. I found it a very easy and comfortable read, and find it easy to dip back into now and again, something I rarely do with other books. Respect to his co-writer. I look forward to another installment.

For those thinking of possible duplications with his "grumpy" dvd, there arn't any as his DVD has other stories. For more of the same, I would recommend his "Live in 2000" dvd.

Avoid the "Other side of Rick Wakeman" dvd though. Its, shall we be kind here,... Poor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes! No... Maybe..., 24 Aug 2008
Aria-May (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
I'm not a great reader of biography, but I was looking forward to this book as I admire Rick Wakeman both as an amazing musician and as a quirky character. This book is OK, and has a number of of interesting and amusing recollections from Rick Wakeman's career but it is rather rambling and self indulgent. Whilst it gives a sense of some of the bizarre and whacky things that have happened to him in the course of his musical career I was hoping for something a bit more interesting than in depth details of his drinking habits which seemed to feature on every other page... Having said that some of the recollections were so funny that I did laugh out loud and have to read them to my husband. So, if you're a complete Rick Wakeman fan you may enjoy this enough to make forking out the cash worthwhile, but be warned, it is only a collection of stories and not a decent biography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 13 Mar 2014
PJ (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Rick's known for his storytelling and this book has some priceless recollections in it. You don't have to be a prog rock fan to enjoy it either.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world need more 'Grumps' like Rick!, 17 Aug 2013
M. Clark "bigmac" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have loved his music since the early '70s. He has always told a good joke or two between songs in his live shows.
(should have been a stand-up comedian)
And now he is letting rip on the things that we all find irritating and annoying in our everyday lives.
Keep 'em coming, Rick!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute hoot!!, 12 Feb 2011
R. Cheshire (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Rather than being self indulgent, I think this book takes the micky out of his eccentric life and points fun at himself. It was a great bedtime read and I cant wait to read his further adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Rick, you'll love this!, 27 May 2010
If you enjoy listening to Rick chatting about his experiences as much as you enjoying listening to his music, then this is the book for you. It contains some great stories - some we've all heard, many we haven't, told in his usual relaxed style, with digressions and asides.

There's also some serious commentary in there as well, and I'd actually have liked to have read more about his opinions and experiences in different countries, but perhaps not the best place for them in what is really a very light hearted volume.

It's a quick easy read - shouldn't take more than an hour or so, but excellent. Thoroughly recommended. I should also point out though that if his sense of humour isn't to your taste, or you're looking for some expose of the rock and roll life style, probably not the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but over too soon, 29 Nov 2008
If you are thinking of buying this because you want to hear ricks life story then your wasting your cash.

This book is a collection of short stories from his life in music from about the age of 14.
The only moan i have is that its a bit short, i did the complete book in two evenings and im not what you would call a fast reader.

But with chaptor titles like "The tin bath tecnique and the small hours hooker" or "i've got che guevara in the shed" its well worth the read. If nothing else you will find a new use for a breeze block and a hotel towel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight collection of anecdotes, 14 Feb 2009
Barry Lees (Greenock, Strathclyde Scotland) - See all my reviews
Don't buy this expecting a "serious" biography/autobiography. The book well reflects Rick's 'chatty' tv persona and will prove a good laugh for fans and non-fans alike. It seems to be Rick's way of telling us how it feels to have led a rather charmed life ever since he hit the big time with Yes in the 1970s. He doesn't dwell on any low times, preferring to remember all the funny bits (and there are plenty in the book). Go on, buy it to cheer yourself up and let your partner/friends in on the act too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wkeman strikes again!, 5 Jun 2009
This is a very funny and interesting book. it's full og incredible stories in different countries and times. Especially for Yes/Wakeman fans, this book is full of hilarious annecdotes and curious facts about yes and its different members, besides rick's personal stories, which are just amazing!
recommended for yes fans, but also lovers of funny, curious stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Fun, 27 May 2009
I was given this as a gift. When I saw what it was I was a bit taken aback. I'm no prog fan and YES remain a dirty word round my way. But... give him his due this is a quick and entertaining read. Not really a biography. More the kind of long winded anecdote he probably tells in the pub or on those "grumpy" tv shows. Still not going to get me putting on one of his albums though.

ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wondrous Stories
Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wondrous Stories by Rick Wakeman (Hardcover - 21 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01