5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 4 Aug 2010
Nicholas Warren (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
This book delivers exactly what it promises. It is a very clear explanation of the mathematics that will used again and again at University in the first year. It assumes only a good understanding of High School mathematics.

It does not lead you much into the more rigorous approach to proof used at University, but makes sure you know the mathematics needed as tools in applications. As such, the book would be at least as valuable (if not more so) to a prospective physicist, chemist, economist or engineer as mathematician. There are many exercises and I have checked many of the given solutions at the back for accuracy. The topics are very well explained and can be used stand-alone for self-study. The book is also written in a lively fashion, as entertainingly as endless definition-theorem-proof in a standard mathematics textbook is not! There is also a good set of references to explore topics further.

If every student about to enter University for a quantitative degree carefully studied this book over the summer, he/she would be very well prepared.

I know nothing about the authors (other than I believe they come from the U.K.) but, congratulations for a job well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
I found this text to be of great use to me.
The authors use of language was well balanced between using mathematical language whilst explaining concepts in everyday english.
Having passed MST121, the 1st level Open University maths course, I think the book will be a useful revision source for the next level courses.
I would recommend it as either a stepping stone or a revision guide to Uni maths course.
I'd say it does exactly what it says on the cover, it bridges the gap.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing approach, 9 Jun 2011
Matthew D. Crispin (La Jolla, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
I am prompted to write this review having seen that one Amazon reviewer scored the text with 1/5.
The authors admit that some of their contemporaries were familiar with many of the concepts they discuss, but the sad reality is that many were not. I have no reason to think that this situation has changed for the better. I think their approach is very accessible, clear, and suitably caveated when leaps of faith are being made. Their principle failure is with the title which fails to emphasise the suitability of the text to scientists. (This may have also deflected some of the 1/5 reviews from disappointed mathematicians).

My only minor gripe is that the Appendix is a bit disorganised and that there are examples of material being referred to from the main text which seems to be missing.

A very welcome book!

Dr M. Crispin
Oriel College,Oxford

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, but doesn't quite fully bridge the gap., 21 July 2011
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
When I got this book I thought it would have lots of new stuff like analysis that is never covered at A-level Maths or Further Maths, but I found that most of it was work that if you are doing full further maths a level you will cover at school, although there are some chapters towards the end that cover new things in some detail like sequences, series, logic and set theory notation. The rest is eigenvectors, hyperbolic functions, polar coordinates stuff you will probably cover at school.

Although the book may not be perfectly fit for its purpose, it is still very good revision material for things at covered at school with short,clear and concise explanations lots of exercises (with answers)

If you are looking for something to actually bridge the gap to degree level, probably best just buy a book that is recommended by your no.1 choice university to guide you through one of the course covered in the first year of your degree. Cambridge University advises Algebra and Geometry by Alan F Beardon 2005 which covers groups, vectors and matrices etc. so thats probably a better idea to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful book, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
As a mature student returing to university after 12 years I really needed to brush up on my math skills and this book really helps with this.

Everything is explained in laymans terms, I'm studying a science based degree and the book covers everything I need to help me with my assignments, it really does bridge the gap to university maths.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bridging the gap between answers and rationales, 24 Nov 2010
DCC Gaster (Winchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
I have very little to say in criticism of this fascinating and beautifully presented book. It is this. Based upon graphical solutions to inequalities, I cannot always see why a solution takes a particular form. Looking for example at problems 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 which involve graphs of a similar form, why are the solutions written in a different way and could they be explained, especially 1.2.8.? Apart from this, I am enthralled to discover a mathematics book which describes with such clarity and economy the basic principles of undergraduate studies that someone like me, with only O Level maths taken over 40 years ago, can understand and even enjoy it. It has begun to assume the character of a crossword in my mind and it was a subject which presented a barrier to me until now. It must illuminate the interpretation of scientific results, but I have yet to reach this stage. For the moment, I restrict myself to a problem or two a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Book!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
Sorry, this book went totally straight over my head! But my eldest son who is doing his A levels at the moment and hoping to study Maths at Uni, says this book is just great! Helpful, informative and and easy to understand, I liked the pictures :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
Excellent book. I bought it to get me back into maths as I went back to Uni after a few years to do physics (involving a number of mathematics modules) and some of my maths work was rusty. The author gives you a confidence boost by telling you that she herself struggled with maths at first year uni and goes on to introduce and cover topics briefly but with great explanation. This is a good book for anyone who is worried about the step up to higher education mathematics or for anyone who is returning to it after a number of years as I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics Book, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
I bought this Maths book for my son to take with him to University as he is studing Maths. It has been helpful especially in his first term.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maths books, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics (Paperback)
Good addition for studying higher level maths. Ideal for students after A level maths if taking further maths. Ideal book for when studying degree level subjects.

Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics
Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics by Martin Gould (Paperback - Feb 2009)