5.0 out of 5 stars Covers pretty well all you'll need to know about gliding, 3 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book is well laid out with clear diagrams, and explains all the necessary information for both the novice and more experienced pilots. The illustrations are particularly helpful and the explanations of various techniques easy to follow. Overall this is an excellent book, and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in this sport. I peviously bought "Beginning Gliding" by Derek Piggot, and in my opinion, this book by Steve Longland is the better one by a long way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, bar none for a beginner, 13 Jan 2009
I am a professional gliding instructor and for the last four years I have recommend this book to all my students when they start gliding; for a beginner it is the best book available, bar none!

At my club (the SGU) we run summer holiday courses where we have three students sharing one instructor for five days. We are considering including this book as part of our offering, sending it to our students in advance of the course, so that they "hit the ground running".

For little more than the price of one flight (off a winch launch) it must be the best deal available to minimise the cost of learning to fly.

Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a beginner, 19 May 2008
This is a really excellent book. Its key strengths are simplicity and clarity - on these it is arguably the best book for the absolute beginner to gliding. The diagrams are simple and clear but very useful - for example the diagram on 'lookout' is etched on my brain!

In the end I got 3 beginner gliding books - this one, Piggot and Stewart. They all do certain things very well and do complement each other. But I'd say that Longland is the best - giving a crystal clear introduction to this fantastic sport.

As well as the basics of flying a glider, other very useful aspects relate to the history of the sport and an outline of how a gliding club functions - these were very useful indeed as gliding clubs are often set up very differently to powered flying clubs.

A fantastic book and worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gliding books, 24 April 2011
Mr. G. Shuttleworth (Leeds UK.) - See all my reviews
This book is very well detailed and gives a perfect descriptive journey through all aspects of gliding. As a beginner myself I have found this book extremely helpful. Clear diagrams and uncomplicated text, it is a 'must buy' for any enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent informative reference book, 19 Dec 2011
An excellent book, well written and easy to understand. Perfect for aspiring glider pilots and those with a keen interest in just learning more about what gliding is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gliding In A Nutshell, 24 Aug 2013
I have read Piggot's book but to my mind the clarity of text and illustrations is far superior.
For a beginner like me this is a great text book that prepares you for instruction and is very readable too.
I believe this is essential reading for any newcomer to the sport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile preliminary reading, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Gliding: From Passenger to Pilot (Paperback)
I bought this after finding it by accident while looking for something else, and getting grabbed by the lyrical description of a gain of altitude flight in the introduction. As a long-time lurker in the gliding world, it seems to answer most of the questions that a UK-based aspiring glider pilot would have, and it's well written and well produced. Worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect title!, 25 Sep 2012
I was given this book as part of gliding trial package for my birthday and found it very helpful to know what to expect on the day of the flights. Steven combines his easy to read, wonderfully descriptive style with enough technical detail to get a really good understanding of the sport. The book is full of clear diagrams that perfectly complement the text. Its been a constant companion through my training and a couple of years on and I still keep coming back to re-read relevant parts. Its worth it just for Steven's descriptions of two very different flights in his introduction.

Gliding: From Passenger to Pilot
Gliding: From Passenger to Pilot by Steve Longland (Paperback - 6 Aug 2012)
13.59