Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 April 2011
I was initially unsure whether or not to buy this book as I could not find a review anywhere including the RHS monthly magazine. I have grown tomatoes for many years and even got first prize for tomatoes last year in our small local show. I mention this only to let readers of this review know where I am coming from; I wanted a bit more understanding of tomato growing so I could get a better crop this year. It is unfortunate that we get reviews of mediocre repetitive books but not a comprehensive book like this. I took the plunge and ordered it (it doesn't cost a fortune after all) and was very pleased that I did.
My doubts were initially about the size of the book- 127 pages does not seem a lot but it does provide a complete coverage of the subject. It is not padded out with recipes ( there are already enough books with those) nor with general introductions about subjects such as composting, weed control etc that you find in many gardening books. Nor does it have a long encyclopaedic list of varieties (many unobtainable) which is a normal way of padding out gardening books; the list is selective and adequate. The traditional opening chapter on the history of the plant being dealt with is short and ineresting. So overall the book is ALL relevant.
As I said, the book is comprehensive. It is well written and well presented. it also seems to have been well edited which is not the case with one or two books I have read recently. As well as covering the subjects you would expect to be covered such as seed raising, training, feeding, pests and diseases there are the less routine subects such as grafting, "passive" solar heating and soil biofumigation- if you are in the dark about any of these subjects I suggest you buy this book- I don't think you will regret it
on 26 February 2012
So many gardeners have a go at growing tomatoes, such a lovely and useful fruit. Yet,often written information is consigned to a few sentences or perhaps a chapter in a general gardening book. In this one highly readable and moderately priced book one can find virtually all the amatuer grower could need or want to know. No doubt more varieties could have been listed but in practice the preferred choices differ greatly from grower to grower. It is very much a matter of personal preference, best arrived at by growing and tasting the ever increasing number of available types. This book is a great encourage to do just that.
on 27 March 2013
I bought it for my Dad, a keen tomato grower for years. I read other reviewers' comments saying it was suitable for people who know how to grow tomatoes already. My Dad was very pleased with it, and particularly because it had a section on tomato grafting. So it appears this was right and it caters for the more experienced grower. I haven't seen it myself, so cannot comment if a beginner would enjoy it.
on 18 April 2013
Bought for husband who had a bad year with tomatoes last year. Lots of useful information, well presented . Have been growing tomatoes for years but learnt much from this book . Well worth buying !
on 11 August 2015
A very interesting book on the subject.
I would have liked a little more on growing temperatures and watering but that is my only gripe.
I have just acquired a greenhouse this year and this is my first season of growing tomatoes.
This book has given me more knowledge of tomato requirements and is a helpful reference to dip into when problems arise.
The book is a handy size, well printed and formatted.
on 18 September 2015
Living in the south of France thankfully provides the warmth to grow tomatoes well. However, there are still many problems that this wonderful book has helped solve. I've looked for a tomato book that covers all the bases and this is no doubt the best. I cannot speak highly enough of the advice on so many aspects of tomato growing.
on 12 June 2016
I have just thoroughly immersed myself in this book since buying it. I can now see exactly why things have happened in recent years (e.g. inconsistent watering, now rectified!) and am confident that barring disasters my plants will be healthier. Very, very easy read.
on 13 January 2016
Great book. Maybe not for beginners but great for people who have grown toms before and want to know more. Well worth the price. Have learnt a lot just flicking through the pages before even giving it a good read.
on 12 January 2013
This was given to my son who has a passion for growing tomatoes.
He said it was the most interesting book on the subject and was absolutely delighted!
on 25 May 2013
Great book. Full of brilliant tips on all aspects of growing tomatoes. I hope to have a great crop this year.