Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 February 2010
This really does fill a huge gap in the market for a practical, easy-to-follow and sensibly laid-out book. The techniques are clearly illustrated with lucid explanations, step-by-step instructions and photographs - the layout is extremely user-friendly. This is going to be an invaluable must-have for anyone studying book-binding...
on 10 February 2010
This book is terrific. Instructions are clear, comprehensive and accurate. Excellent illustrations and great layout. A great find!
on 4 November 2010
I've been on several residential bookbinding courses, and have several books on the subject, but this one is one of the best I've seen. Specifically, the descriptive text and accompanying photographs are first class. Bookbinding is not easy to learn just from books, but if that's the way you want to do it, this book is the one!
on 1 April 2011
A extremely well thought out book, giving a guide through all types of binding and with most useful terminology section including a description of tools and materials. This book also helps to remove the myths of bookbinding. I would recommend this book to any one wishing to start the art of bookbinding. The Author also produces an excellent CD version of this book.
on 28 March 2014
As others have mentioned, this is not the book for the absolute beginner. It's also not a book for someone with less than eagle eyes. The text is printed in very small fonts, some of the text is in light red which makes it very difficult to read, the pictures are small, and there are big blank areas on almost every page that could have been taken up with larger, darker text. In short, it is uncomfortable to read, not inviting, which is a shame because the content is actually quite good.
on 9 December 2012
Recently bought this book on recommendation of a number of bookbinding enthusiasts and some experts. It is very clearly written and has lots of illustrations which makes following the book quite easy. As has been noted by others, this is not a book for beginners but then I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn bookbinding simply from a book. Best to attend a few workshops and then delve into books such as this one for specific projects to enhance one's repertoire. Having said that, this is not just a book with a set of interesting projects. It is very much a reference text as well which helps to remind the reader of specific techniques as needed. I keep it now on my binding desk and consult it as I need to recall some details. This is particularly helpful as, though I do know the basics, I wouldn't consider myself an experienced bookbinder by a mile. And my favourite part has to be the Weaver's Knot. It is one thing I always struggle with - despite seeing a few techniques in workshops and even YouTube videos. The technique described in the book is really easy to follow (and illustrated with photographs). No more fear of running out of sewing thread!

Highly recommended.
on 7 August 2010
I was lucky enough to take a class taught by Kathy Abbott, and this book is the next best thing. A clear description of tools and techniques that most people could follow easily.
on 7 March 2010
The book does what it says on the tin. (well, the cover anyway)
It really does take you small step by small step, with clear illustrations of the difficult bits, where other books tend not to be bothered with the really elementary stuff.
For an absolute beginner, it provides the necessary guidance.
on 21 October 2011
I'm finding this book incredibly helpful in my attempts to teach myself sewn bindings. I have other books, but after buying this one........now finally I understand! Her written instructions are clear and concise and her writing supportive and inspiring. I would have avoided making quite so very many mistakes had I started using this book right from the beginning!
on 6 February 2014
I have a little experience of bookbinding and have found this book an excellent visual step by step reminder. The photography is first rate and the layout and typography are easy on the eye and methodical. I would highly recommend this book to the those wanting a good guide to basic bookbinding.