5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a builder
Published on 13 Aug 2008 by A. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
As described and arrived within specified time.
Published 20 days ago by Peter K

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a builder, 13 Aug 2008
A. Wood (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I run a small building company and therefore have to do a variety of roofing jobs - from small repairs to building extension roofs. I am used to buying building books that purport to be professional guides but turn out to be DIY manuals, American guides inapplicable to the UK, reprints of books that are 50 years out of date or just academic architects guides that don't have practical information on techniques.
This book is spot on.
It gives a good overview of current roofing materials and methods, and then it details lots of commonly faced roofing tasks. The explanations are clear and detailed but if you don't immediately understand there are loads of diagrams and photographs.
While not a complete manual on roofing it is probably comprehensive for anybody who is a general builder, and it is clear enough to be used by a reasonably competent DIYer.
Any criticism? Although the book is 158 pages long I would happily pay for another 300 pages of cleaver solutions to unusual roofing problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roof tiling and slating, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I needed a book on roofing for a new build garage that I am attempting to complete myself, This book explained every aspect of the job and answered numerous other questions I had about the subject. written in plain english and very well illustrated, all in all an excellent book to have, I would highly recommend this book to anybody who requires information on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the roofing industry needs, 1 Aug 2008
G. Mercer "Technical Manager" (Sandtoft, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
In the UK roofing industry there is precious little good quality written information freely available on the practicalities of pitched roofing. This excellent book goes a long way to address this. It is written in a clear, practical way by the very practical author. I like the modern, chatty style and the photo's and illustrations are excellent. At Sandtoft we operate a very busy technical department and I know that we will be referring to this book often - to both answer customer queries and when writing our own technical guides etc. Anyone involved in the installation of tile or slate pitched roofs should have a copy.
John Mercer: Technical Manager: Sandtoft Roof Tiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good explaination for UK roofdesign and construction., 9 July 2008
xm214 (Brecon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I was looking for a book that showed me how to layout and tile a roof using either slate or interlocking tiles. This book I found clear in illustration and techniques for doing the job, includes getting around laying out roofs with build errors. Geometry and calculation aren't my problem, its the actual laying out and progress of work I needed to learn. The problem is many books are published for the US market, it isn't.

Well it worked for me. I doubt if one book will have all the info you need, so dont expect a silver bullet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Book!, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I purchased this book having had some experience of the technical (degree in construction) and practical aspects of slate and tile roof coverings. Having read this I have sucessfully managed to re-roof a large Victorian Terrace (over 1800 slates), several off-shot roofs and carried out numerous repairs for friends and family. This book contains loads of great little tips of the trade that you cannot pick up from the more technical literature out there. This is an invaluable reference for those wanting to tackle tasks that would be slightly beyond them. I now have the roofing bug!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 April 2010
Mr. B. E. Robinson (Pickering, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I'm a builder and do a fair bit of roofing. i'm always flicking through books and articles whenever possible, looking for useful tips and other peoples thoughts into aspects my line of work. i found this book one of the best i've come accross, full of useful tips and easy to follow methods! would be great back ground reading for an apprentice! i definatley reccomend this book above the rest!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
As described and arrived within specified time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
The book is clearly set out and covers everything need to enable me to tile my bungalow in an easy to understand and concise manner. Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
I'm a generalbuilder who has done numerous simple roofs. However I recently undertook a much larger roof with some more complex tiling issues and ordered this book with the aim of clarifying some grey areas and I have to sayit is an excellent book. It not only answered all the questions that I had but gave me some additional excellent advice. I would recommend this book to anyone planning a roofing job.
It is written in plain english with clear pictures and diagrams by; I assume; someone from this country as opposed to the numerous american books that are out there. Well worth every penny. You wont be able to by my copy second hand as it is staying with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about rooves, 4 Jan 2014
Mr. R. West - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide (Hardcover)
The book describes how to tile rooves. It does what it says on the label. Written by someone who teaches tiling so it's very NVQy and does not expect the reader to have any particular discipline.

Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide
Roof Tiling and Slating: A Practical Guide by Kevin Taylor (Hardcover - 11 Jun 2008)
13.59