5.0 out of 5 stars Greater London: The Story of the Suburbs
Published 13 months ago by MR JOHN RICHARD SWAIN

3.0 out of 5 stars Suburban London
Bit of a curate's egg of a book. Rather too much old history and not enough of what today's suburbs are really like. Nevertheless this is a good read for anyone wanting to understand how London has become what it is
Published 12 months ago by jpm

5.0 out of 5 stars Greater London: The Story of the Suburbs, 28 Feb 2013
This is a splendid publication and is thoroughly recommended to everyone interested in the development of this great world city, whether they have lived in London or simply visited the capital. It is also a challenging read of more than 550 pages and this reviewer would also recommend the use of a large-scale atlas, such as the Times Atlas of London (2012), and/or the Cassini boxed set of Ordnance Survey Maps 1805-1948, whilst reading the book.
I suppose my only faint criticism, as a retired geographer with a particular interest in the Interwar suburban growth of London, would be that Nick Barratt, like many historians, insists on going back to the very earliest beginnings of the foundation of the city, so that the the more recent developments receive rather less coverage than expected. However, this should not detract from a well-researched and magnificently illustrated text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by Robin Michaelson, 18 July 2013
This is an excellent detailed readable history of London and its development in a world class city - highly recommendable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, pity about the illustrations., 8 April 2013
Very well researched, compiled and written. I was a little disappointed by the quality and relatively small number of the illustrations. But well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive book for a massive topic, 27 Mar 2013
Well I have just got to the end of the book and as a Londoner I have been amazed at how much info Nick has managed to put into this book. To see the growth of London from its early days to the current sprawl - and see how different parts of London have gone from desirable to unloved and back again really shows how organic London is. Truly a world city, London has been a magnate for people from the rest of the UK and the four corners of the world and that melting pot of cultures, beliefs and practices has moulded the city over time. I have learnt all sort of interesting snippets, which have helped flesh out the places where my ancestors lived and worked. If you have an interest in London beyond the 'city' (which has retained a remarkable control over its own dominion), then this is a book that is really worth having. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Suburban London, 26 Mar 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Research, 9 Mar 2013
R. Campbell - See all my reviews
This book has brilliant style and is easy to read. As a person who has lived and worked in London on and off for 30+ years, I have a great love for the place, and it is fascinating to see how the city has grown and constantly adapted. Nick's highlighting of small details whilst filling us inon the bigger picture is brilliantly handled. My hardback copy had some reproduced images that were too dark to see properly, but that did not take away the great enjoyment I had reading it.
Well worht it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning about kindle version!, 18 Mar 2013
I want to start by saying that it is a great book - fully recommended with some very interesting stories!

However - I brought it as a kindle book. The book has lots of maps and diagrams - with text annotations and these were unreadable on my kindle (via iPad). The quality was poor and blurry when you tried to expand them. It did really effect the enjoyment of the book

I have queried this with amazon who have given me a refund and will be passing my feedback to the publisher and they hope to resolve it at some point

So - probably best to keep to the book version for the moment if you are thinking about buying this title

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book, 17 Mar 2013
Diana L. Stagg (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
I had to order a second book as when my sister-in-law looked at it, she instantly bought it off me! It is quite a work of art as it covers such a wide area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely interesting book, 2 Jun 2013
I have not had time to really read this book. I have only dipped into it and viewed the illustrations. I grew up in a London suberb and know some of these areas quite well so it promises to be an excellent read. I bought one copy myself for a grandson who is now working and living in London. Having previously given him the Times Atlas of London, which he was very pleased with I thought this woould be an interesting addition. I heard Nick Barratt give a fasinating lecture recently and felt that this book would be of a similar calibre.

2.0 out of 5 stars Story of the suburbs but not my suburb!!, 17 May 2013
Not what I expected or what was advertised. Very little for South London where I was brought up which was disapointing.

ARRAY(0xabdc0f24)

Greater London: The Story of the Suburbs
Greater London: The Story of the Suburbs by Nick Barratt (Paperback - 4 Sep 2014)
9.34