5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive reference book for counselling students
Published on 28 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars walls of text.
It's very heavy and wordy. Once you've read through it a few times you'll understand the point it's trying to say. I bought this for my MA as a recommended text but it wasn't one of my favourite reads. It's walls of text, you'll need a counselling thesaurus to accompany you. Saying that, once I did understand what it was telling me, it was very informative.
Published 1 month ago by Findlay

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive reference book for counselling students, 28 May 2001
By A Customer
I found this book to be an invaluable tool in my learning. It has become the most well thumbed book on my bookcase. During my four years of training I have been introduced to many different aspects of counselling pyschology. Each time I hear of something new I rush to this book and look it up.I have used this book constantly as a gateway to further learning. It has given me the essence of many different approaches, and encouraged further study. I highly recommend this book to other students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide for Trainee Counselling or Clinical Psychologists, 8 Oct. 2008
This book provides a wealth of information about the discipline of Counselling Psychology. I found it useful when thinking about what area of Psychology to focus on in post-grad and career development. The main sections are Research and Evaluation, with some interesting perspectives on qual and quan research; Different types of therapeutic practice, from psychodynamic to CBT, plus others; Theoretical underpinnings, such a life- span and age related counselling needs; How counselling psychology is applicable to various contexts, such as primary care and the workplace. There are also excellent chapters on the future of counselling psychology and ethical issues. Its a great start point and is well referenced, enabling follow-up study if required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Handbook of Counselling Psychology (Paperback)
Look, I have to admit that so far I have only looked over the contents and read the intro and the first chapter, but I find the topic invigorating, and the writing conveys well the complexities and challenges of the topic. I feel very safe in the hands of the writers who are evidently experienced practitioners. I have just completed my psychology degree and I am part way through my counselling diploma. I am working towards funding a PhD in Counselling Psychology and this book is helping to confirm that this is indeed the right path for me. I can't say how useful the book would be to a qualified CoP but it gives context, complexity and texture to someone like me who wants to find out more about the current issues and dilemma facing counselling psychologists. I only wish it came in two smaller volumes so I could read it in the bath!

3.0 out of 5 stars walls of text., 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Handbook of Counselling Psychology (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done better........., 14 April 2006
V. De Maynard "Time Lord" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst the book did provide an overview of the psychological approaches to counselling and psychotherapy, and showed the salience of research in the development of the counselling psychologist, I felt that this book was a little too superficial, and looked at nothing in a great details. I would have preferred to have read something on what makes a good case study, how to write a good case study, or what is process report. All these things are vitally important to students, but this book contains none.

Handbook of Counselling Psychology
Handbook of Counselling Psychology by Ray Woolfe (Paperback - 17 Nov. 2009)