Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2004
This delightful picture book by popular author and poet,Roger McGough, does for non fiction what sugar coating does for medicines! The book looks through the eyes of a child at the misconceptions of how certain appliances work, and the technicalities are explained by the loveable, cute and cuddly, Dudley!
An excellent text to work with in the primary classroom, as it exemplifies the features of this non-fiction genre, with clearly labelled, scientific diagrams. The illustrations throughout are engaging and fun, and readers who have enjoyed previous work by Chris Riddell will not be disappointed.
on 18 June 2009
When i looked at this Literacy unit i didn't know what books to do to make it interesting. then i saw this book. the kids really enjoyed it. We read some of the crazy explanations for how things work, an d they thought these were funny. Then we used the serious explanations to pick out key features of explanation texts. they made some of their own explanation texts, some serious and some wacky.
This book is ideal if you've got to teach this unit.
on 4 March 2012
I'd never heard of this book before until it was recommended to me by a Literacy consultant as a text for teaching explanations to Primary children.
Now I've read it I think every class should have a copy.
It is the most wonderful book, not just for teaching about explanations, but for the imaginative writing, the great illustrations and the discussions it can lend itself to.
I cannot wait to share this with my own children as I think it is suitable for all ages (they are 2 and 4).
You can get so much from it as a teaching resource but it is also just a great read to enjoy with your own children.
A great buy.
on 23 March 2011
Great book, the one I used 2 years ago from the school library had disappeared, so I sourced this new edition. Fabulous text, really accessible at all levels, and great illustrations for the really poor readers. I used it to teach the features of explanation texts to year 3 & 4, the children were fascinated and produced their own, based on the model, really easily. Kept us all amused!

Also, I have to recommend the service; I ordered at Friday lunchtime and received it in the post on Saturday morning. How's that for service!!!
on 21 February 2014
It was really hard to find this book so I was very pleased to find it. Used to teach explanation texts to upper primary, it brings a really interesting and fresh approach. The text combines a detailed explanation of how an object actually works with an ingenious alternative explanation which stimulate discussion and writing around the text. Ideal for any child who asks 'I wonder how that works?'...
on 16 April 2010
This book engages children's imagination. It is an excellent book to use in a classroom when looking at explanation texts. Pupils enjoy reading the explanations. The contrast between the imagined and correct explanations of how things work is excellent. It also has helped children to write more imaginatively and think about how to extend their writing. I highly recommend this book.
on 24 March 2011
Great book, my 8 year old daughter loves it! Thanks to the super fast delivery she didn't have to wait long to get her hands on it! Supports the National Curriculum nicely - was actually being used in our Primary school, hence my daughter's request for it! For a child who doesn't like reading out loud much, she read this to anyone who would listen!!!
on 2 May 2011
This is a fantastic resource for parents and teachers alike. We used it for y6 revision on explanations and the quality of writing it inspired was amazing! I only hope we get explanations for our SATs! A very humourous and fascinating book.
on 11 December 2012
This was recommended by my 6 gyear old daughter's teacher as a great non-ficion book and she loves it.great pics and alternative explanations for how things like dishwashers and toasters work,followed by the real explanation
on 4 December 2011
This is a fantastic book for teachers trying to teach explanation texts. The kids really engage with it and it is alot easier for them to access than other explanation text examples. Highly recommended.