Format: PaperbackChange

on 31 January 2010
I am a Year 4 teacher and I have used this book with my 8 and 9 year olds and they thoroughly enjoy it. It is a straightforward story of a young boy going (on his own) to visit his grandparents and cousin on Tobago. At first he suffers from culture shock> The story tracks his changing attitude to his family and the island.

From a teaching perspective it is excellent resource to help the children understand a simple plot and then be confident to write their own versions of the story. It is beautifully illustrated and it can also be used as a great introduction to topics involving changes in children's lives and their attitudes to these changes.

And if you just want to read it and enjoy it, that's great too. The illustrations and the gentle way in which the characters are developed makes it a lovely book for a parent to read with a child or for the child to read for themselves.

Thoroughly recommend it.
on 26 May 2011
We are a Year 3 class from Ealdham Primary school. We have been using Gregory Cool as our Literacy focus for five weeks. We loved it! We really enjoyed reading it and learning about Tobago. We have been writing poems and diary entries as if we were Gregory. We used freeze frames to show the important parts of the story, our teacher took photos and then we made a comic using a programme called Comic Life. They are really Cool!!!

We liked the part where Gregory and Lennox called each other nicknames - 'The Mighty Lennox' and 'Cool Greg'!! Also we liked the part when they went to the beach and Gregory thought he saw sharks but in fact they were friendly dolphins! We don't want to tell you anymore because we don't want to spoil it for you!

Enjoy reading it for yourself!
on 23 June 2003
We are from Stoke Leys School in Aylesbury, Bucks. We read Gregory Cool as part of our literacy lessons. We all think that is is a fantastic book. It's so good everyone wants to read it - we found a copy in our school library, and we are all fighting over it. One of our favourite parts is when Gregory goes swimming and thinks he sees some sharks, but they are only dolphins.
Gregory cool is one of our favourite books this year! We are all 6 or 7 years old and we think that all ages will enjoy this story. It is a fascinating story of a boy who went on holiday to Tobago to visit his grandparents. He met his cousin Lennox and found out that things were quite different in Tobago, especially breakfast!
Caroline Binch was able to capture the feeling of his adventures through her wonderful illustrations, we could really understand how Gregory Cool was feeling.
on 6 December 2012
This is a story about a boy who is going to a country called Tobago to stay with his grandparents. I think the best part is when, he goes swimming and he thinks there are sharks but they were actually dolphins! It will make you want to read it again. He has got a new cousin called Lennox.

I think this story is exiting so I will give it 10 out of 10

By Lewis.M.Graham
on 26 March 2010
This wondeful book, Gregory Cool is an amazing story for both children and adults.

Caroline Binch has not only written a superb book but has also drawn beautiful, detailed illustrations. I liked the part when Lennox climbed up the coconut tree because it was brilliant! Also when Gregory thought he saw sharks but they were amazing dolphins.

It would be suitable for everyone because it is an exciting and wonderful book! You will be delighted by the colourfull illustrations.

I love the character Gregory because he is a cool city boy and he is extremely fed up of Tobago, until they get to the beach. When he gets there ,the amazing beach encourages him to be happy.

I give your book 10 out of 10 the reason why i will give your book 10 out of 10 because the outstanding illuserations are really detailed.

Owen Smerdon
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2009
I was looking for some new books for my 9 year old daughter and was taken with one of the reviews submitted by a child who had read this book with her class at school. My daughter liked the story and the pictures are wonderful. The story is short and simple with a positive message.
on 27 April 2014
My son enjoyed this. It was bought for a particular topic and did the job. Arrived quickly, no more to add.
on 10 March 2013
Needed this book for a literacy lesson. Beautiful illustrations, the kids thoroughly enjoyed it. A lovely story line which has a message threaded through it about overcoming cultural differences and not needing material things to enjoy yourself.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2015
Gorgeous little story! Our nieces and nephews adored the story. The illustration in the book was amazing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse