5.0 out of 5 stars For everycat: past, present and still to come
Published 22 months ago by Debi Gliori

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an Ok Book!
I was really looking forward to buying "I am Cat" for my young daughter because Jackie Morris usually creates very nicely illustrated books, but I feel that this book is not very good value for money, at the full price £11.99. It is a bit thin on the ground with not enough pictures and text. Some of the illustrations are not her usual high standard. They look half...
Published 22 months ago by Milly Molly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For everycat: past, present and still to come, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
Jackie Morris's deep regard for her subject shines through on every page of this, her latest, beautiful book. In the context of our ever-changing, rapidly industrializing world, 'I am cat' is an elegaic and haunting love-song to the wildness we are in danger of losing forever. It's a challenging book ; the text is pared-down, the illustrations make no concessions to comfort or what, in the children's publishing world is sometimes termed the 'cuddle factor'. 'I am cat' is precisely that - as self-contained and elegant as its subject, staring out at the reader, inviting us to make of it what we will. This is an intelligent, thought-provoking and visually stunning book from an artist working at the top of her field.

5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you to buy just one copy of I Am Cat, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
If I could I would buy this book for all the children, leos and cat lovers I know. I have just re read it in order to write this review. At first sight I fell in love with the stunning pictures, the simple poetic language and the extra information about the cats of the world at the back. Only now do I get the subtle and vital message to all human kind: We can all dream of being other than we are, walk in other skins, down other roads and know that with all our differences, we are all earthlings, able to dream and share our dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Cat, 13 Nov 2012
Mary Hoffman "Stravagante" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
I am a sucker for cats big and small and I love this book! The illustrations are superb and the different big cats that the small cat dreams of are beautifully realised. Another winner from the Illustrator of The cat and the Fiddle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical..., 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
Magical, beautiful and deeply felt, even with only the few words this book includes. But all you know is in the gorgeous illustrations, capturing cat-dom in all it's feline depth. (The specific species information at the back is a bonus). A perfect Christmas present for anyone who loves animals and illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside every house cat is a sleeping tiger, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
A domestic cat sleeps ("ammonite tight") and dreams - wonderful, vivid dreams of fierce, wild, other-cat lives: lions and tigers and jaguars, oh, my! A beautiful book for any cat lover; Jackie Morris's love for cats, domestic and wild, is matched by the glory of her illustrations and the magic of her prose. Orange cats have played a major part in Jackie's life, and those who follow her blog will recognise an old friend in the cover artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful enchantment, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
A domestic cat sleeps and dreams of wild and exotic cousins. The illustrations are gorgeous the script is perfect. This book is a keepsake and will become a family heirloom. Children will love it as will my 84 year old mother when she will have a copy for her birthday on monday!! Another stunning book from the talented Jackie Morris.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic Cats, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
Jackie Morris is one of my favourite contemporary artist/illustrators - I admire her work. If you follow her blog you will realise exactly what is involved in order to produce the finished illustration the reader sees on each page. Jackie searches deep within herself for every single magical image - layer by layer they are worked at until she has realised her vision. She has a unique and instantly recognisable artistic style and she also possesses a poetical way with words which she uses to bring her images to life - a rare talent. Jackie's books appeal to both children and adults.
The ginger cat on the front cover entices us with those mesmeric eyes to look inside the book and discover what lies within. Each cat's face has that unmistakeable feline quality of detachment, majesty and elegance and their bodies are lithe and exquisite. This domestic ginger cat is dreaming of all the wild cats he might be, providing us with a glimpse into the world of each one and carrying an underlying message about the fragility of their existence.
A visual delight from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Purrfect Read!, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
Author/illustrator Jackie Morris never fails to deliver with her picture books. I Am Cat is brilliant, a perfect blend of lyrical text and gently-hued dioramas. Read my full review at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should have one!, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
I am Cat is a tour de force, a work of pure delight from the remarkably talented Jackie Morris, whose ability to understand animals from within is demonstrated in her vibrant paintings. This is a book to share with children, to keep forever, to hand down to descendants, and to admire. Other books are equally good - especially her beautiful Nursery Rhyme Collection, Snow Leopard and Tell me a Dragon. Collect them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 24 Oct 2012
P. Ward "gruffthree" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am Cat (Hardcover)
Damn, those cats were good!
No monkeys though, which made me a little sad - can't a cat dream of being a monkey?
I know I can.
But a marvellous volume, one that your children will treasure and remember fondly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I am Cat
I am Cat by Jackie Morris (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2012)