5.0 out of 5 stars amazing
This is a fabulous story told from the point of view of a boy who goes to fight in the first world war.I read it to my class of year 5's as part of our World war 1 and 2 topic.A very emotive story which held their imagination and enabled them to imagine what it would have been like. It is an emotional story and I had a lump in my throat at the end...well worth the money.
Published on 24 Aug 2009 by Fl Domkowicz

2.0 out of 5 stars One Boy's War
I bought this book for my 14 year old son, but realised as soon as it arrived that it was a child's picture book and not a novel, as I had presumed from the description.
My husband looked at it and pronounced it rather sad and depressing and not really suitable for a young child. Disappointing!
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 Aug 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Read and believe, 26 Nov 2009
Mrs. Deb Clapham "Deb" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Boy's War (Hardcover)
This book brings to life the horrors of being a soldier in WW1. It is told through the eyes of a 16 year-old who lies his way into the army. His devastating description of life in the trenches, his stunned disbelief at the loss of his friends and his fear of going over the top are even more poignant when you realise the story isn't fiction but is based on the diary and letters of Sidney Dobson, a youngster from County Durham. Sidney died in a muddy field in Belgium. His letters to his Mum will touch the hearts of all who read it.
Although presented in simple form, it held the attention of the 11-16 year olds I read it to during our Remembrance Assemblies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Story, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: One Boy's War (Hardcover)
The children that I work with had been learning about World War 1. This was a very moving story which they thoroughly enjoyed listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Thought Provoking, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: One Boy's War (Paperback)
I bought this to use as part of a topic being studied by my P7 class. It is a beautiful, poignant refection of the "brave' young men who took the King's shilling and the impact it had on families. It left many of my pupils open mouthed. I'm so glad I bought it as it stimulated super discussion and that would have been difficult to achieve without a resource at this level. Beautifully written, stunningly illustrated, heartbreaking.

2.0 out of 5 stars One Boy's War, 6 Jan 2010

One Boy's War
One Boy's War by Lynn Huggins-Cooper (Paperback - 4 Nov 2010)
5.99