5.0 out of 5 stars Many brilliant poems, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Ninjas (Paperback)
One of the interesting things about this book was the way it combined poems of radically different kinds. There were several experimental pieces that left me cold and didn't seem to me to rise above the level of technical exercises. In sharp contrast, I felt that a number of the poems inspired by paintings were among the very best in that genre that I've ever read because of the way they combined extreme sensuous evocativeness with a subtlety of thought and imagination about what lay behind the visual surfaces presented in the paintings they referred to. A group of poems about animals was almost as good, and there were some fine, funny and also poignant poems playing with science fiction scenarios and ideas. I think Yeh is a hugely promising poet. Even the poems I didn't much like testified to her interest in experimenting and widening formal and imaginative boundaries, and the ones I did like showed how fruitfully interest in technical exploration can be combined with depth of feeling and thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars absurdly marvellous, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Ninjas (Paperback)
This book of poems is so wonderful that I keep it by my bed. I often think of the images Jane Yeh makes with mere words! The jellyfish poem is one of my very favorites. Sometimes i think i have a feeling that i find poetry difficult - Jane makes it easy without cheapening or shortcutting the medium. I want to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, absurd and human, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Ninjas (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Jane Yeh's Marabou and found it very impressive in range and eloquence but somewhat inhuman. What's entertaining (to me, at least) is that there are lots of non human characters in 'The Ninjas' (like robots) but as a collection it reads as so human that it is almost heartbreaking. The poems in this collection are easy to read and understand, but you want to keep rereading them because they are so well written: such perfect language and so accessible. It's the opposite of how I usually feel about poetry, which is that I have to keep rereading it in order to understand it properly. There is nothing lazy about this collection: each poem is polished and perfected and a pleasure to read. I really did want to cry when I got to the end because it was over! I really hope that you will read this book because I really hope that everyone will read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arresting language and original imagery, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Ninjas (Kindle Edition)
Arresting language and original imagery. Yeh's book captures with precision one's instincts and desires. The narrative is a beautiful negotiation of human vulnerability and sensibility

The Ninjas
The Ninjas by Jane Yeh (Paperback - 29 Nov. 2012)