5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reference for curtains, cushions & other projects!
This is the ideal book for competant sewers who want the knowledge to improve their soft furnishing projects.

All instructions are accompanied by clear photographs of each step so very easy to follow.

There is a great section at the front which gives information on tools of the trade and specific techniques which you will need to know.

I...
Published on 16 May 2010 by S. Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for the DIY-er
Published on 4 April 2011 by martha jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reference for curtains, cushions & other projects!, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)

I am sure that this book will be one I will continue to revisit in the future whenever I tackle curtains, blinds etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanilka, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
I looked for a book like this for some time. I already have some experience with making cushions and curtains and I like to explore and learn more by being self-taught.

In this book I particularly like the explanation of the sundry materials (lining and interlining), types of threads and their use, types of tracks, poles, baten systems. There are a lot of useful tips, clear steps with pictures and you know exactly what you are doing without feeling stuck as I did with some other books. And I wish I had this book when I was joining piping together (flanged cords) for this first time, the book makes it so easy to understand. Also, this is the first book I've come across that shows how to make a firm pelmet using plywood.

This book is worth buying, it is written with care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells you what you need to know., 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
I am a professional curtain maker, and intended to order this book when it came out last year. I make it my business to keep up with the latest publications, and I am very pleased with this one. Very clear and concise instructions, unlike so many glossy coffee-table books in the genre. Tells you what you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent refresher for the skilled soft furnisher, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
I first took to sewing when I was just 6 years old; firstly making toys then clothes and eventually when I bought my first house. 15 years ago I decided upon a change of career; I decided to train and then qualify to become a soft furnisher. I am extremely creative but I find this book invaluable for ideas. It is beautifully detailed and laid out with thorough explanations, which guide oneself step-by-step. This book is like a bible for the more advance soft furnisher or for someone looking to take the next step and make it their profession.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for the DIY-er, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
Ordered this book as I am redoing soft furnishings in our lounge. I am experienced at sewing, but wanted something that would help decipher some of the terms and methods I had seen elsewhere. This book is not for the beginner or intermediate crafter. It is best reserved for someone thinking of becoming a professional upholsterer. There were only a few projects in the book, and that was also disappointing. The steps for the projects required flipping back and forth between different sections of the book, which is confusing to me. If you are an advanced DIY-er, you might like it, but I will probably be donating mine to the local library.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for curtains and more, 1 Sep 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
Until recently, I would not call myself good at machine sewing. I used to knit in sewing classes at school. Yet I have made curtains at least twice. I remember the first time when the sales girl was astonished that I would even attempt to make my own curtains - like there was some sort of secret society for curtain making. However, if you are uncertain about making any kind of soft furnishings - this is a good book to help. It includes details of materials and equipment but also fabric characteristics - what makes curtains hang right and measurements, which are definitely a secret society. Fancy decorative ideas are included such as ruching, pin tucks and Canadian smocking, pleats and more that give your projects a touch of class. This book will show you how to make professional blinds, curtains, tie backs and cushions giving all the basics in detail with superb photography throughout. The projects test your new found skills and also provide instructions for bedding and a cover for an upholstered, straight back chair. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft Furnishings, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
This is great book, if you have a bit of an understanding of sewing then this is a great book to refer back to and start you making great looking soft furnishings proffessionally.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
Very disappointed with the techniques shown in this book. It looks very outdated with unprofessional finishes. The book is not detailed enough for the user and as a professional soft furnisher I would be loathe to recommend this book to anyone in the trade or hoping to join it. There are a number of other books available that show more professional skills and techniques and to a far higher standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed to start making curtains, 17 Mar 2013
Ms. Louise M. Ruddy (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Soft Furnishings (Paperback)
This book really nailed it for me. I am just starting to make curtains and I couldn't understand instructions or Youtube videos until I started reading this book and then I got it. There is so much detail and it is easy to understand. A lot of care and thought has gone into this book. I would definitely recommend it

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 20 April 2013
I am very disappointed with this book. I was expecting to be enthused with lots of ideas. It is totally uninspiring and dull.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Professional Soft Furnishings
Professional Soft Furnishings by Wendy Shorter (Paperback - 20 Feb 2010)