5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one book on growing fruit and veg, buy this
Published on 19 Oct. 2009 by Sally Kinnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not quite as helpful as expected.
Published on 5 Mar. 2010 by E. Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one book on growing fruit and veg, buy this, 19 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Girl's Guide to Growing Your Own: How to Grow Fruit and Vegetables Without Getting Your Hands Too Dirty (Paperback)
Ever since I acquired a large garden five years ago, I have been feeling guilty about not grown anything more edible than a punnet of basil I bought in Tesco (and it died). I can manage flowers, but what with the digging, and the planning and the soil preparation, fruit and veg have always seemed like a spadeful of work too far. This accessible, nicely illustrated and well written book is the answer. Finally, it offers a formula I can follow, which makes it all sound possible, without pretending there are not a few a problems to overcome. I love the sections called "if you only do 3 things this season" and as for the authors tips on how on to overcome a snail problem I cannot wait for spring to start my murderous assault with wine or beer in what she calls " a little cocktail party of doom".

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky find., 12 Nov. 2009
Carole Morris "Unicorn" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This is a great little book, and should rank as one of the essentials for anyone with a small space to grow useful and gorgeous plants. The writer manages to be extremely entertaining without distracting from the business in hand. Once I had shown this book to my Creative Fibre colleagues - most of whom are into gardening as well - I didn't see it for dust as everyone wants to borrow it! I shall be watching out for any following publication from this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not quite as helpful as expected., 5 Mar. 2010
E. Mills "EmmaM" (UK) - See all my reviews
I saw this book in a garden centre and it looked perfect for me so ordered it from Amazon! I have really enoyed reading it - it only took one evening though. It was very fun to read and interesting as I am a novice gardener with a small garden and I want to start growing veg. However It could do with a few more hepful tips - such as what do I do with my seedlings when they grow tall and 'leggy' - do I need to pinch them out? Haven't got a clue! Also some more varieties would be good as I wanted info on growing asparagus and rhubarb - but no luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 22 Mar. 2010
I bought this book having very little gardening knowledge, but I wanted to try doing some 'Grow your Own'.

I love the way this is written, it has loads of tips and useful information and is also witty and enjoyable to read.

I already have loads of ideas I want to try, and soon as the weather permits I will be testing this book to the full!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 Minutes Potting, 11 May 2011
I started gardening last year as a trial as I'm not green fingered at all to my suprise what little veg and fruit I did plant grew. I was looking for a book that would help me grow veg and fruit from scatch with little time spent in the garden (work committments) when I came across this book on Amazon. Amazing! I like the weekend projects as well as how to plant from seeds in only 20 minutes and you also have quick recepies for when you pick your own produce. I also love the fact that this book gives you a difficulty rating. A fantastic purchase for any novices like me. What else can I say apart from BUY THIS BOOK!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light informative read, 11 Feb. 2011
Bought this for my daughter along with some more heavy reading on gardening as she has a new garden. The others are great reference but this is a good read. Yes read in an evening but returned to many times. The ideas have been put to use and have encouraged her to try different things.
Recommend for new gardener but does need other supporting books. Found by accident and I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Edible Balcony, 7 April 2011
This is the second book i have had by ALEX MITCHELL.
This one is a must as it is suitable for the patio as well as the balcony.
There is nothing in the book that is had to understand and it will not take long to be up and running your own fruit and veg i am very pleased with the book even my daughter that was not intrested has started up her own on her balcony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, and useful too..., 3 Sept. 2010
I loved the look of this book and the inside lives up to expectations. Alex Mitchell has a warm, witty, accessible voice that makes the (for me) daunting prospect of gardening and growing things in a small space seem completely achievable. I'm not naturally green fingered, but I'm keen to learn and this book is a brilliant starter guide. Really recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, 3 April 2014
Nice book to read and very modern for the younger age group. I would say this book is for girls because its girlie and cute. Lots of information and tips for new starter without getting to deep. Couldn't give seller good feedback back for some reason as it wouldn't let me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good.Clear. And just fab!, 9 Mar. 2012
This sort of growing your own fruit/veg guide has thought of everything, whether you have a big garden or not, there's more than just 3things you'd find that you could actually grow :) .Clear instructions, good pictures and fast delivery.Good all round.