5.0 out of 5 stars Years of slasher cinema history in one book.
Published on 27 Sept. 2010 by L. Cross

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more
I saw this and ordered, really looked forward to reading this. But it was not very well written. It had an 'essay written for school' kind of feel to it. The posters and artwork in the book were pretty good though. But I didn't really read anything new in this book that I did not know before, which made it a bit disappointing. This book could have been so much more.
Published on 3 Sept. 2012 by G. M. Petzl

5.0 out of 5 stars Years of slasher cinema history in one book., 27 Sept. 2010
L. Cross "Leeroy Lewis" (Liverpool, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
As a huge fan of slasher movies I first came across this book whilst searching for slasher movies. I looked at this book which led me to purchasing it for my own self curiousity of slasher cinema of the 80s. I read the book from start to finish in one whole day - honestly, I was that hooked by the history of slasher cinema that I couldn't put it down. The more I read, the more I wanted to know so I read on and on and I discovered all the infomation I was looking for. The author of this book has obviously pain-stakingly researched the sub-genre thoroughly and accurately which is comfort to me, you feel in safe hands with the history knowing it's from a devoted fan.

As for the artwork, it is simply amazing and beautiful - some artwork I have never seen in my life which I would love to have scattered across my bedroom walls! So, I now have years of slasher history stuck in my brain, which is what I wanted in the first place. It's a beautiful book that has given me more of a drive to purchase and discover more slasher movies to add to my currently small collection.

If you like slasher movies, or want to learn more about slasher movies or if you just generally like horror video/poster box art - it's definately worth your time. It could also be useful to media and film studies students.

Purchase a copy - it won't disappoint =].

5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
The previous reviewer was spot-on: meticulously inclusive and beautifully designed, this really IS the definitive book on slasher movies. I thought I knew all there was to know about the genre, having been glued to the likes of Slumber Party Massacre since the age of 12, but Teenage Wasteland has had me trawling Amazon and eBay in the hope of finding various obscure gems I'd previously overlooked. As well as the expected extensive delve into Halloween, Friday The 13th and so on, there's a generous but relevant diversion into Euro-horror and - something I found truly fascinating - a look back at early and classic-era Hollywood as seen through the trained eye of a slasher fan (I now NEED to see 1932's Thirteen Women!).

As you'd expect if you've ever visited the author's website Hysteria Lives!, the writing here is as witty and entertaining as it is informative, reminding me of one of my other favourite "horror history" books, Kim Newman's superb Nightmare Movies, which this book is easily on a par with. There's no pompous academic posturing, just a genuine, infectious love of slashers, brimming with enough trivia, insight and background info to satisfy even the geekiest at heart. As for the illustrations, I admit to being blown away by the rarely-seen posters and stills that pepper every page - obviously a lifetime's worth of collecting and the thing that really sets this apart from other slasher-themed books. An essential purchase for horror fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, 3 Sept. 2012
G. M. Petzl "Gaby" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Slice and Dice and very Nice, 6 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
As a big fan of the slasher genre (and the author's outstanding web-site), I have waited for this book with excitement and anticipation for an age. And oh I was not disappointed!
This is an exceptional book - beautifully packaged and born out of love, respect and pure enjoyment of the slasher. And how the memories came flooding back... my own teenage years happily spent watching and jumping and thrilling as yet another sexy teen falls prey to the cleaver...oh happy day!
I will be ordering aquite a few more copies of this book as Xmas approaches. My Nan may not know what has hit her!

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT the definitive book on slasher movies, 16 Dec. 2010
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
Which isn't to say it isn't a fun book to read because it is. It's also very superficial being more of a survey with brief critical comments. The structure is basically sound: the roots of the slasher movie, the golden age of the slasher movie, the post-golden age of the slasher movie. But it's also where it falls down.

Far too little space is allocated to the third section, particularly new millenium slashers which leads him to gloss over excellent slashers like Hatchet and Cold Prey 2, though he does acknowledge the quality of the latter -a couple of pages analysing why Cold Prey and CP2 are so good and why the sequel is better would have been interesting. There is also a brief section of golden age slasher reviews which pretty much regurgitates what he's written earlier about the movies and the space would have better been spent on -well, I think you've guessed what I was going to say.

This is a likeable and colourful book but also something of a missed opportunity and it could have been so much better -the 4 star rating is me being generous. A little more critical analysis wouldn't have hurt either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting enough, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
This isn't a "bad" review by any means, I enjoyed the book enough to recommend that any fan should have a look at it. All the basics are here, i.e. the history and influences behind slasher films and some brief reviews of the most popular or notable ones. There are a few suprises here even for knowledgable fans who know their stuff.
However, there are some bad points too, which knocks off a hefty 2 stars from this review.
The first being the depth of the research, which is good no doubt, but is also quite superficial and just abouts scratches the surface of what could have been said. You can literally read through it in 2 hours.
I agree with the 4 star reviewer; that more should have been said about later era slashers, which leads me on to the second point. The author being the age he is, has a typical bias for the "classics", which result in inevitable (and irrelevant) stabs at newer films, and possibly explains the thinly written end section of the book.
The last problem I had was with the sheer size of the book itself. The ratio between content:size is massively skewed. The squareness of the thing also makes for some dodgey carrying and reading. I suppose they wanted to show off the colour pictures inside, but I would have preferred to save the paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on the Slasher Film, 1 Oct. 2010
Michael (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
This is it, horror fans! Much has been written about the slasher films of past, but none as lovingly and vividly as J.A. Kerswell's book, Teenage Wasteland The Slasher Film Uncut. As a dedicated fan of films, especially of the horror persuasion, over time you cull so much information about them, they become truly a part of you. And just when you thought you've known it all, you pick up a book such as this and you find yourself fully immersed into your cherished genre, learning and loving it all over again. The pages pop with a color and vibrancy (this is a beautiful looking book in every regard) and Kerswell's love affair with the genre really shines through. This is someone who has put their heart and soul into a bound book, and we get to reap it's reward. I flip through the pages and I see everything from A 'Friday The 13th' to the much less obscure 'Girls Nite Out', each film smartly and thoroughly covered. I can't wait to pull down from the shelf now and again to refresh my love for this nutty batch of films. You will be in slasher movie heaven. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Slasher coverage, 4 May 2011
R. J. Q. Levins (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
The short review is this: if you're a fan of slasher movies buy this book! I have been reading J. Kerswell's Hysteria Lives website for over ten years now and have loved his insight and knowledge on the genre. He alone is responsible for my discovery of countless unsung gems that i never would have heard of otherwise. His book is a natural extension of the website and is an excellent read. J. Kerswell really knows his stuff and even if you have just a passing interest in the genre, it is a perfect point of reference to learn more and celebrate the wondors of the slasher movie. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide to stalk and slasher movies., 9 Sept. 2012
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
A comprehensive history of the slasher film starting as early as the late 19th century with Grand Guignol up to the present day.
The majority of the book concentrates on "The Golden Age of the Slasher" (1978-1984). Richly illustrated throughout it concludes with a handy guide to a selection of slasher flicks and selection of lists which tell you how much each film grossed at the cinema and a body count section for a selection of films.
A worthwhile purchase for anyone interested in this area of cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it under the duvet with a torch!, 6 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut (Paperback)
What a great book. Quality writing. Credible and authorative. I am a more general fan of the horror genre, (with a bit of a thing for zombie movies) and this book has made me realise that I need to simply watch a lot more slasher flicks. My dad (late 60's) picked it up today while round for a cuppa and basically didn't say a word for the rest of the visit, just sat there poring over the fabulous pages sporting the great scenes and posters from the genre. Also looks FREAKIN SWEET on the coffee table!!!! BUY IT!

Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut
Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut by J. A. Kerswell (Paperback - 25 Sept. 2010)
Used & New from: £9.48