on 26 July 2011
Yippee, a book that finally speaks common sense. No more confusing scientific jargon. all too common in most nutrition books. Glen speaks to you in a casual manner, no different to having a conversation around the dinner table. The information is practical, useful and applicable to everyday living.

For sure, it's not going to suit a lot of people. It lacks that sex appeal of the sensationalism and hype of the quick fixes offered by most 'nutrition' books. He doesn't promise that you'll lose twice your bodyweight within weeks. He doesn't have some super food he learned from a period spent with an ancient tribe in the Amazon. He doesn't recommend trying to source exotic foods that grow on the Eastern side of the top of the Himalayas, and are only harvestable in times of a lunar eclipse.

Instead, this book is for people who realise good health lasts longer than a few weeks initial enthusiasm. That we have lives to live, jobs to go to, children to look after on top of everything else, and that healthy living needs to fit into this. It gives a crash course in what you need to know on nutrition. What foods -all available at your local supermarket- you need to include in your diet plan and why, as well as plenty of delicious, and critically, quick and easy recipes.

For sure, this book won't turn you overnight from beached whale to beach babe.

But for anyone interested in living better, feeling better and preventing those late life diseases for you and your family, this is for you.
11 comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2010
This book is the first nutrition book I have read that offers practical guidance on buying, storing and preparing good food and it's written in an informal style that people can understand easily. I like the fact that it's organised into meaningful chapter headings and the recipes are healthy and appetising, but are made with ingredients that are widely available and affordable, if you shop wisely. I anticipate that I will use this book a lot rather than it gathering dust alongside others that I have bought.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2010
This is a refreshing look at the food we should be eating. No 'superfoods' or over-priced rare berries, this book is full of regular products that are cheap, easy to cook and available from the local supermarket. The recipes are delicious and easy to make (my favourite is the chickpea and spinach curry on page 88). The author, Glen Matten, writes in a fun and conversational way, and even includes chocolate and coffee in the list of things we should have in our diet. I love this book.
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2014
I have given this book to male friends on numerous occasions and have one in my own shelf. It is a great reminder of how to improve one's diet by adding little, good ingredients. The recipes are helpful and make it easier to imagine how one would "eat better". There's more to learn about nutrition but this little book is practical and accessible. I recommend it.
on 6 February 2011
This is an inspiring look at nutrition & gives a wealth of easy to follow,delicious recipes that make you question 'These are too tasty to be good for you?'
I love the authors evidence based approach to 100 everyday foods, their benefits to health & guidance & ideas as to how to buy & cook.
Every kitchen should own one.
on 6 January 2010
A well written book about the types of food you should eat.The recipes were delicious!I would recommend it to anyone! a five star book!
on 26 November 2012
A book full of common sense, love the simplicity of the recipes however have been unable to source some ingredients no matter how hard I try. Recommend to anyone wanting a healthier diet.
on 6 March 2011
This book is amazing. its layout, the information that it gives, the recipes- i am loving it. The information is sensible and straightforward- easy to read and the recipes- the handful i have tried so far are great
on 17 February 2012
I bought this book first for myself and have since gone on to buy several copies as presents for family and for friends. Everyone I have bought it for rates it as an excellent book. It provides clear information about nutritious everyday foods that will help improve our health, with recipes that are easy to follow, affordable and tasty. Great recipes for breakfasts, lunches and main meals. Even my partner who is not a lover of fish loves the white fish with coriander pesto - delicious. If you like it as much as me, my family and friends this is a book you will use again and again. Definately worth purchasing and a great gift to send to people you like and love and who you want to eat well, be healthy and live for a long time.
on 12 February 2010
I am a student nutritionist in my final year of study and what I loved about this book is that it was not written by someone who thinks he is part of the 'nutrition police'. He offers practical advice and great reasons why you should be eating certain foods and even includes things like cheese and a full English breakfast!

I have tried a number of the recipes and they have all come out very well and delicious! (not difficult at all - I don't make things that are difficult to make!) The lamb dish is really yummy and the smoked haddock fishcakes are great too.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in food (and nutrition) and would like some new delicious recipes to try. Enjoy!
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse