5.0 out of 5 stars Make your own lovely soap!
I already own a couple of soap-making books, and have had a few goes at making my own soap. I wish I'd had this little book from the start though, as it explains the chemistry and processes of soapmaking very simply but comprehensively.

Published on 12 Dec 2009 by bluefairy

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out!
Published on 24 Dec 2010 by rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your own lovely soap!, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)

There's lots of lovely recipes to try, with detailed but clear instructions, and the emphasis firmly on natural ingredients. As well as the traditional cold-process method, it also covers how to make translucent and liquid soaps. A few of the recipes use some very expensive essential oils, such as jasmine and neroli - personally I think these are far too costly to use in soap and would substitute them with something cheaper myself! However there are plenty of less extravagant recipes, and also recipes for shampoo bars, shaving soap and even a soap for washing dogs! I learnt some new things from this book and the recipes look a bit more interesting than some in my other books, for example it explains how to make herbal infusions to use in your soap, instead of always using plain water, and how to make milk soaps.

It's a slight pity that all of the soap recipes contain palm oil, which is a rather controversial ingredient (due to rainforests being cleared to grow palm plantations). The author does stress to only use ethically produced palm oil, still it would have been nice to have a few palm-free recipes included.

Overall though I thought this book really good value for money, and surprisingly informative - I must say I only bought it as I came across it at a very cheap price, and I wasn't expecting such a small book with no photos to be that useful or interesting, but I was pleasantly surprised!

If you're wanting to try making your own soaps, I think this book would be an excellent place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific soap making guide :), 20 Jan 2010
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
I own 3 soap making books to date this is the best by far! This book has good sound SAFE advice on soap making, great info on ingreadients and the recipes use vegetable oils. The downside of this book is there are no pretty photo's, of soap just hand-drawn illustrations. Not a book for the coffee table, more for the kitchen and getting stuck into making really good soap, from tried and tested recipes, if you only buy one book on soap making this in my opinion is the one to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars British Focused Book, 22 Jun 2010
Yay!! (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
The book is very clear and easy to follow.

The suppliers are all British, and the weighing system is dual UK/American.

It's assumed that you would prefer not to use animal fats, and uses a combination of palm oil and coconut oils with no animal fat recipes included.

What is interesting is that the author recommends lower temperatures 95-104 f, whereas other authors recommend higher temperatures of 130 f.
The lower temperatures ensures the oils and additives retain their therapeutic qualities.

A worthwhile buy, despite having no photographs to inspire the novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!!!, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
This book is THE BEST book I have ever read on how to make soap!!! It is informative yet simple. Other books I have read make soap making seem like rocket science but this book makes it so simple and easy to follow. I also like the suggestions on how to make your soap environmentally friendly by purchasing palm oil not grown in rainforests (they chop rainforests down just to grow it!!). I would really recommend this book to anyone wanting to make their own, chemically free, environmentally friendly soap! Also, there all sorts of different recipes and ways of changing the look of your soap, for example, marble effects. DONT LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE!!! BUY THIS BOOK!! =)

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out!, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
On the whole this is a super little book for someone like me who is still in the beginning stages of soap making. However do watch out for part 5 of the soap making recipe where Sarah says to add the water to the sodium hydroxide crystals. This is very dangerous ~ always add the crystals to the water. Therefore, what could have been a '10 out of 10' book went down in my estimation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab purchase, 13 May 2010
Susan Jackson (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
I am so glad I made this the first book I bought about soap making. It was in-depth and helped me to take the first steps into soap making.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
Lovely looking compact book - covers all the areas for a novice in clear concise sections. Great recipes enough to inspire me to give it a go !! may convert our family back to soap from showergel - you can make a soap for your own particle needs using lovely natural ingredients and i am sure the soaps will make super presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
this book is a winner for me, not only does it talk about soap and have fantastic reciepes but it also goes into why natural soap is good and talks about holistic impacts on your body. once i statred reading this i found it hard to put down. only had it 2 days and i have nearly finished it. if your starting out or are an advanced soap maker this is a book to definatly invest in. cant sing its praises enough. all the reciepes are low cost, easily sourced and dont include animal fat, veg shortening or beeswax.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
This book is great for beginers such as me.It will give you all the information you need in a very simple way to make natural good for your skin soap.Not very fancy soap but this is another advantage of this book.Emphasises more on quality rather than appearance.It has though hints for marbled soap and extra additives eg poppy seeds etc.my only complain is that so far the recipes i have tried do not seem to smell what is promised.The chocoholic does not smell chocolate but rather nutmeggy which is one of the ess oils used.Also if you decide to use the saponification chart it does not specify whether it is a strict chart or it is calculated for mild superfatting result.also at the same place of book suggests that lye should be 1/3 of water in weight roughly whereas i have found online that water should be 1/3 of oils in weight.not sure which is right but could both be. I only owe this little sweet book about soapmaking.I made 4 batches and none failed so far. maybe there other good books out there but if your are a beginer definetely consider this one .Happy Christmas soaping :)))

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the money, 20 July 2011
Mrs. D. Roach "Di," (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self-sufficiency Soapmaking (Paperback)
great book for all who want to learn this fascinating art. Found it difficult to source some of the products, but went on 'soaposh' and found them all.

Self-sufficiency Soapmaking
Self-sufficiency Soapmaking by Sarah Ade (Paperback - 25 April 2009)
6.97
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available