5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively portable, comprehensive and clear guide, 31 Aug 2009
M. de Graeve - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
After more than 20 years of birdwatching I have been waiting for a guide like this which covers the whole of Europe, yet which is light and easy to carry. Moreover it contains clear and helpful colour illustrations. My only criticism is that the distribution maps could be a little larger, nevertheless they are clear enough. A welcome addition to the amateur birdwatcher's library, which can easily be taken on any trip to Europe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide for All Levels of Birdwatching, 16 July 2012
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
For years, I have been looking for a field guide that covered a lot of species but had not-that-complicated text and good illustrations. As the time went on by, I finally understood that I couldn't find that kind of a guide in Turkey. So years passed and I had to go with Collins (which at the time was too complicated for me, but now my fav, guide) and Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide by Rob Hume (it was a good book but was a bit basic for my level).

Finally in the May of 2008 me and my family did a touristic trip to England, and I went to a bookstore in Oxford knowing the odds of finding a guide like that were high as England was the birding country of Europe. So I went to the section that was exclusive to ornithology books (never found in Turkey). As I was looking for a small but good-looking guide, my hand slipped over to this one. As I was looking through it's pages, I didn't think that this was the one, but I still bought it.

When we got back to Turkey I had more time to spend time with the stuff I bought and as I looked at this book more carefully I saw that it covered almost all of the breeding and regularly-seen species of Europe, accompanied by very rare vagrants, too. Despite it's text was basic it was good enough for you to ID the species you saw correctly. The illustrations were great, too!

That's when I understood that this was the one. I still use this sometimes, even though I now use mainly Collins, as I know enough English now to clearly understand it.

If you want that kind of guide that I once looked for, "basic but lots of species", this is the one. Hope you enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars European Bird Guide, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
One of the best books we have seen on the subject. Great pictures to enable you to identify species and good all round information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birding for a european novice, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
This book is good for a novice bird spotter or anyone interested in identifying birds while on holiday. Gives lots of info and pictures. Recommeded

5.0 out of 5 stars European Bird Guide, 9 Sep 2009
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
For a book of this size I found it very comprehensive, with excellently detailed drawings, making it very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, very complete and useful for a new ..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
great book, very complete and useful for a new bird watcher from Southern Portugal. Good size for taking on field, yet not too small so quite easy do read and examine illustrations.

4.0 out of 5 stars yes this is a good guide I was a bit disapointed at first as ..., 2 July 2014
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
yes this is a good guide I was a bit disapointed at first as there are no photographs but actually the pictures are vey accurate and it is a very good referance book

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
A handy pocket sized book which I try to take out all the time at the week-end as we have a lot of different birds localy

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover just about all UK birds, 2 July 2013
A. Morris - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
Ideal to carry in a rucksack. Compact yet includes pretty much any bird you are likely to see in the UK. Superb illustrations and helpful notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good (second) Guide, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: New Holland European Bird Guide (Paperback)
Worth the money as a second guide. Collins is still the one to have for all birders but, if you want a different approach then this is ideal.

New Holland European Bird Guide
New Holland European Bird Guide by Paschalis Dougalis (Paperback - 28 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: £0.18