‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for a professional finish!, 11 Mar 2009
C. A. Mandeville (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
This impeccably presented book not only answers any questions I might have about a reupholstering project but goes into such depth about the method that I have complete confidence about tackling the job and completing to a decent finish. This is vital for the tricky transition from beginner to intermediate. A fantastic resource book, clearly written and illustrated.

Notable, for me anyway, was the section on upholstery sundries/fillings and stuffings - ever wonder what the stuff is that you are pulling out of the old chair - it could be seaweed! So, instead of worrying consult the book!

also, the section on fabrics is brilliant for identifying fabrics and weaves. Soooooooo useful when you are debating a major purchase.

Very good on top cover construction as well, with large clear photographs taking you through each step.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comprehensive upholstery book to date, 9 Oct 2009
A. Lockwood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I have bought lots of upholstery books over the past few years and this book is the most clear and comprehensive so far. Really detailed instructions and helpful photos. Also, the projects are simple and do-able - other books try to get you to upholster a chaise longue in 2 pages!! It feels like an insiders guide rather than a coffee table book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and thorough, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I bought this book having done only re-covering before with a view to re-upholstering a chair I found. It is so clear and explanatory that I have been able to flick through the different projects and combine the steps to fit my chair. The book is full of photos and clear steps on how to master the best finish and how to do the required stitches. I was initially going to do a course but buying this book has shown me that there is no need.I wanted this book for the information on traditional upholstery and I have found the information on this to be exactly what I needed. There are also projects that use the modern approach using foam etc. Every part of this book has been extremely informative and I found that my local upholsterers have been willing to help me acquire padding, tacks, twine etc. in small amounts enough for my project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - best yet, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I am completely new to upholstery and apart from viewing some clips on You Tube had no prior knowledge on the subject. I bought this book and immediately made a deep buttoned footstool which looked just like a shop bought one. I've since made a floor standing deep buttoned headboard with equally pleasing results. Having subsequently read another book on the subject they recommended that deep buttoning was best left to the experts - I'm just glad I didn't read that one first as I might have put off trying. I'm now totally hooked - my next project is a set of Louis dining chairs and I'm totally confident that they'll turn out just as fantastically well. My only criticism is that at times the tools and materials list for each project can include items not needed for that project so can end up being more costly than it needs to be yet at other times the list don't include all the items he goes on to use in the project. I recommend that you read the book from the front and in detail for the project before you start. You can then do a sanity check on what is actually required and avoid costly mistakes and frustration at not having the right materials. The author also recommends some tools such as a foam drill which doesn't seem to exist in this country without any suggestions for alternative solutions. We had to be very inventive to resolve some of these issues ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I took this book from the local library, but decided that I needed it for myself to help re-upholster a few chairs and a sofa that were in dire need of care. The tips and descriptions of what to do were extremely helpful and easy to follow. Saved me £100's by doing it myself rather that geteting someone else to do it - and a better job with new materials as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Guide, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I am really pleased with this book which is a perfect starting point for my quest to learn upholstery. I would highly recommend it.

I buy quite a few books of this type and this is one of the best, by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars upholstery book, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
ordered this book so I could have a go at covering an old chair I was given. Haven't done it yet but think the book will be a great tool to help as I have never done it before and don't have the time to go on a course.

5.0 out of 5 stars upholstery book, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
I chose this book because I am interested in starting a new hobby. I have been interested in this sort of thing for a while and this book has given me a good insight on the way to do things. I can't wait to get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
The book does explain different stages quite clearly, but my disappointment was with the use of a lot of modern and not enough use of traditional materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upholstery manual, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Upholstery (New Holland Professional) (Paperback)
Great book. Very clear pictures and instructions. Very useful for beginners and intermediate upholsterers. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to start .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Upholstery (New Holland Professional)
Upholstery (New Holland Professional) by Malcolm Hopkins (Paperback - 29 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: £69.37