5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Marvellous
Once more Glen Duncan has produced a brilliant novel to end the trilogy that began with the Last Werewolf and continued with Tallula Rising. Each novel stands alone as a great read from start to finish and By Blood we Live is no exception. The pace is fast and the effect is un-put-down-able.
I am personally offended that no major broadsheet took the time to assign a...
Published 8 months ago by Martin Snasdell

Published 28 days ago by Rowena Hoseason

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Marvellous, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf 3) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy) (Paperback)
I am personally offended that no major broadsheet took the time to assign a highly paid literary reviewer to read this book and give it the high praise it is due. The story is exciting the characters are finely portrayed with the usual excellence and finely delineated nuances that we come to expect as the norm from this my no means ordinary author . But let it be said that the emotional depth the whole world difference expressed in words is not something that readers get every day. Its a sham that no counterpart to the Oscars is given to authors of the style and sheer skill of Glen Duncan, As a reader you care passionately about the fate of these what would be conventionally speaking anit-heroes, but believe me any one with a sensibility modern or otherwise wants to know how and what will happen to Tallula, Walker Justine and primarily and so stunningly, in this volume, the vampire Remshi. This is literary fiction of the highest order and should be respected and read and reread as such. I can't recommend this work highly enough and urge all readers to do so, and if they haven't already seek out the American and British hardback editions of the first two novels of this marvellous trilogy and read then again from the beginning. At a time when book publishing in conventional formats is in some way threatened by new technology here we have a wonderful book to be treasured always as it should, as long as there are writers writing the highest quality work there will be, me among them readers eager to share and cherish these offerings. More power to Gen Duncan! I am impatient for the next work whatever it may be. I know it will be of the best kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 2 July 2014
TonyD "biotone" (Up North) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, so read this with a sense of high anticipation, and in many ways it didn't disappoint, leading up to a (fairly predictable) conclusion of sorts and leaving the door wide open for further developments. Duncan swaps between characters to relate each chapter from their own perspective, and that I like very much. The main characters are drawn well and you can certainly feel an empathy with both the werewolf (Tallulah) and the vampire (Remshi) but I felt that many of the supporting players were pretty one-dimensional. Many of the 'hide/chase/escape (or not)' sequences are repeated right out of the second book in the series, and I have to say that I found the constant sexual references unnecessary and in some instances even detracting from the narrative, but the violence (certainly not for the squeamish) is well handled with a leavening of wry humour to take the edge off what would otherwise be a relentless gore-fest.
So, in summary; glad I read it, but could have been better and felt a bit rushed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than most werewolf stories (but not a patch on the first in this series), 29 Oct 2014
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This trilogy appears to be afflicted with a law of diminishing returns. The Last Werewolf, the first in the series, was flat-out brilliant. Mature, skin-shredding, psyche-writhing supernatural sexual pulse-pounding fantasy for an adult audience. The second part, wasn't quite so great. Same themes, but bogged down by the vulnerability of the female wulf and the loss of her mate.
This third part struggles to live up to its forerunners. New characters of a toothsome type brings fresh blood (in more ways than one) to the story. In fact the only plot which really held my attention revolved around an ancient vampire and his almost eternal quest to locate a lost love. What should have been the major story, involving Tallula and her pack, felt very much like a re-tread of earlier events. There's a sinister religious / militaristic organisation hunting them down... and once again she's all too easy to capture.
There are some spectacularly gory moments in here, and the vampire narrative was enough to carry me through to the end. But its resolution was curiously flat and lacklustre: an awful lot of build-up for a whole lot of not much.
Glen Duncan's interpretation of the giants of the supernatural world is still far superior to most spookynatural tosh -- his creations run riot and leave nothing but body parts in their wake. He's never scared to rub right up against cultural taboos (beastiality, anyone?) His writing is potent and his imagery is involving.
But it feels as if all the original ideas and energy were poured into the glorious first instalment in this series. 'By Blood We Live' is a lot less impressive, and I almost wish I'd left it on the shelf.
7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the squeamish, 17 Feb 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In this third book of the series which started with "The Last Werewolf" the author concentrates more on vampires - especially on Remshi who is over twenty thousand years old, but he changes viewpoints between vampire and werewolf characters to tell a number of different stories in the same narrative.

This is a novel about so many things - violence, revenge, persecution, fear, and love to name but a few. Remshi is seeking out Tallula (see "Tallula Rising" the second book in the series) because he believes that she is the reincarnation of his lost love. Tallula is trying to keep herself and her children alive whilst acknowledging that she doesn't love her companion Walker. The forces of the Roman Catholic church are persecuting werewolves and vampires alike. Someone has found the cure for the werewolf disease but it may be worse than the condition. Remshi is having strange dreams and blackouts. Justine is adjusting to her new life as a vampire but also trying to tie up the ends of the old one. Linking it all together is a poem written by Robert Browning.

This is an ambitious book told in robust prose. The author tries to convey to the reader the attraction of eating flesh and drinking blood, how these earthy desires are connected with other passions such as sex, and the accommodation with morality that supernatural people have to make - this book is not "Twilight" or anything close and should not be read by the squeamish. The story is brutal in places and the violence is graphically described. At times you begin to wonder if it is a bit too much and then the author inserts an amusing snippet or a piece of glorious descriptive writing and you are immersed again in his vision.

I was gripped by this book from the beginning as I was by both its predecessors. I admire the author's wish to tell a rawer, more brutal version of the supernatural story than we read in so many urban fantasies. The book did have flaws - some of it was obscure and at times the author overwrote his passages so that the prose overshadowed the meaning - but none of this got in the way of a remarkable and powerful novel with a strong and unusual narrative. I was given a free copy of this novel by the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The man's a genius, 12 Feb 2014
This is a brilliant conclusion to the trilogy that began with The Last Werewolf and continued with Tallula Rising, each one delving slightly deeper into the werewolf myth. I would definitely advise reading them first before coming to this, as a number of plotlines are continued and expanded upon. I don’t want to say too much about the plot, as there are so many twists and turns that anything I did say would give something away but needless to say, there are plenty of werewolves and vampires, a religious group of soldiers dedicated to eradicating them from the world, chases, gun fights and killings, all linked together by Duncan’s sublime prose. He has a way with words that should make most other writers just give up. Don’t worry if you don’t like horror – I’m not a massive fan myself, but Duncan is first and foremost a great writer of literary fiction (see Hope, Love Remains and A day, a night and a day for examples) and he brings that tone to this set of books. The book is populated with the most interesting characters, who deliberate on popular culture, classic literature and, of course, the meaning of it all. It’s a strange experience to find yourself siding with a werewolf and almost (almost!) beginning to think there may be some truth in all this. One difference with this book compared to the first two is the number of first person narrators employed – you get to delve into the thoughts of vampires in depth for the first time, as well as humans and werewolves. And each of them is an amazingly distinct, articulate character you look forward to hearing from again.

Glen Duncan is a genius. For me, he is the most talented writer working in Britain today and yet he seems largely unknown. I have no idea why, as everyone I pass one of his books to, loves him (admittedly, I pick people who don’t mind the odd bit of graphic violence and/or sex in their reading material). And while it’s nice to feel like I’m in on a great secret (like someone who discovers a great band and is then disappointed when they become the next big thing) I hate the idea of Mr Duncan not being popular enough to make a living from writing and, God forbid, stopping… i for one cannot wait to see what he does next. So, please buy his books... All of them... Now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best by some measure, 12 April 2014
P. Cranfield - See all my reviews
I really like Glen Duncan's thoughtful prose and subject matter, and , whilst accepting that the werewolf series has been a tip of the hat to commercialism I really enjoyed the first two books.
This one, however, left me cold. The characters were not real to me and had no differentiating features in terms of their tone of voice. I really didn't care for any of the characters, not even Talulah, who had been a strong voice in Book 2.
The book felt disjointed, messy and overlong.
A real disappointment from Duncan, who needs to go back to what he does best.
Frankly, the other major problem I have with this is that I'd recently read the Wolves of Midwinter where the characters carried the book in true Anne Rice style and where you care for the werewolves and their coterie. Perhaps the comparison is unfair- I get what Duncan was trying to do with his visceral style- I just don't think this book delivered on a number of levels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Feb 2014
All three books have been really good . Third book doesn't disappoint either. I couldn't put it down no nonsense great werewolf story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avid reader, 17 Jun 2014
Have read all of the glen Duncan books in order a brilliant tale part sad and tragic part triumphant but definitely gripping look forward to more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb third book in the series., 24 May 2014
Mr. Gareth I. Davies "giddig" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Everything I loved about the first two books in this trilogy is all still present and correct here. I love the way Glen Duncan describes things and uses the first person perspectives to weave this wonderfully epic werewolf/vampire tale. It's rare I read a book and am left digesting not just the characters and plot but the actual way language has been used too. Glen Duncan is a superb author. Werewolves and vampires may seem an overdone genre these days but this trilogy has plenty of it's own twists and style to mark it as what the other weaker efforts in the genre should aspire to. This book is so well written you could just pick it up and enjoy it as a stand alone novel but you would be doing yourself out of how great the whole trilogy is. The language is very grown up still so if the "c" word offends you won't like this. There is no fear in dealing with the more adult aspects of werewolf and vampire life here. Glen Duncan has given me an ending I think fits the gritty and up to date tone but also teased with the possibility that there could be more of the tale to tell. I really hope he writes more in this werewolf/vampire world that he has created. Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 23 May 2014
Kev (Perth, WA, Australia) - See all my reviews
Really enjoy GD's style of writing. Left a few questions unanswered but was still worth the time invested in this trilogy. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf 3) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)