Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2010
I sat in the bookshop literally laughing my head off at this book, which of course caused some mess and consternation. Dave Shrigley has a weird, dark and sometimes childlike imagination that triggers both deep thought and belly laughs. An artist/cartoonist/whatever he is has no right to be so expletively talented, yet still as poor as a church mouse, I assume, when compared with that pretentious bloke who does sharks. Give it to all your depressed friends at Christmas - the gift of highly original therapeutic humour - so you can feel duly self-righteous.

Professor Colin Feltham
on 30 November 2010
An excellent collection of both old and new stuff (mainly new I think) by the amusingly disturbing artist David Shrigley. Even the pieces which have appeared elsewhere before are worth seeing again in a bigger, bolder and brighter format. A must for any collector of David Shrigley material, and a great introduction for anyone not yet aware of his work.
on 18 November 2010
Shrigley is probably my fave modern artist - his perspective is brilliantly twisted, and his admixture of high concept and low format (scribbles, crossing out and ruled lines form part of his lexicon) is right on the money. This is art with a sense of humour; often satirical, always left of centre. This book offers an overview of Shrigley's work, including photographic and sculptural pieces. His work is ideally suited to a book format - you aren't losing anything by not seeing the original in most cases (as you would with a printed photo of a painting, for instance) and being able to soak it all in en masse definitely helps to get you into 'Shrigley mode'. As weird as it is his work has great popular appeal...I guess people find cartoons non-threatening or something. Check it out.
on 8 November 2010
Hyperbole perhaps, but ultimately true. This book is brilliant. Shrigley manages to be entertaing and funny yet there underneath the absurd belly of his work lies something truly dark and serious. His work is thought provoking and direct and deceptivley simple and a joy. While some contemporary art may seem hard to connect with and maybe a bit distant, Shrigley's work has an honesty and humour about it that makes it irrestible and inviting.
on 16 September 2012
I was about to ignore the request to review this - being a scientist I didn't feel I was qualified to comment on an artist's work. But I think good art is probably like a good scientific theory, it reveals something fundamental about the universe in a way you'd perhaps not considered before. This book is a wonderful collection of pieces, which reveal much about his universe, with a dark humour that succeeds in genuinely making me "LOL". I've seen many of David Shrigley's cartoons before, but funnily enough it was his "Forced to speak with others" CD that led me to this book, which in turn I'd discovered thanks to BBC 6 Music playing "Don'ts" (have a listen to that one on YouTube). Thinking about writing a review caused me to pick it up and leaf through it again and an hour just disappeared, but what a great way to lose it. My favourite item? Possibly inspired by "Don'ts", it is an almost child-like drawing of a volcano erupting, with a hand reaching out to it and the warning: Don't touch the volcano - it's hot! If that image raises so much as a smile you need to own this book :-)
on 14 December 2010
This book is immense. I bought it as a present, but think I'll get one for myself too! It arrived at the office, I had a sneaky look and a girl in the office saw it and we both had a giggle. We both knew most people in the office would probably find a lot of the drawings offensive and disturbing, but we shared the same humour and this book is just pure, simple brilliance.
on 5 April 2015
Superb book with superb collections of Shrigley's work! I already started laughing when I referred to the basic information of the book - Shrigley's humour seems to drown this whole book inside out, even in the words. I was a bit disappointed when I realised most of the works in this book do not have any titles that I can refer back to, but nonetheless it's still worth the read and worth to spend an afternoon giggling away on each and every page.
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2015
Hit-and-miss, but the hits are excellent. Probably this book could be about a quarter of the size, if you were just going for the very best stuff, although perhaps just most of it goes over my head! Still, that's art for you! I really enjoyed it though. Took me a couple of happy hours to get through.
on 22 January 2012
It was ordered by me as a present for a relative so I haven't done the book justice. But I did have a browse through it before wrapping it up and enjoyed the quick ready wit the outrageous drawings. A super outlandish book for those who seek the unusual and have a sense of humour
on 12 February 2013
Bought this after seeing an exhibition of his at the Cornerhouse in Manchester. Sometimes his drawings make you chuckle, sometimes they make you reflect or feel sad and poignant. Whatever the effect it's good.