4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, amazing feat of survival
The author sets the scene very well and takes you into the story without delay. Four men set out to carry out sabotage operations in occupied Norway during WWII, arranged by London. An unfortunate set of circumstances leads to their discovery before they have a chance to even get going. This results in one man of Norweigan origin, on the run trying to evade capture...
Published on 22 Aug 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better written
I really tried hard to like this book.... I know I should be more sympathetic to his plights, but to be honest, if you like POW escape stories that are packed with adventure, then I would really give this book a miss.

It starts off well enough, detailing how Jan manages to escape from the Germans and is betrayed. At times the tension is fraught and the plot...
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Bridgey

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible true story of bravery, 23 Feb 2014
liz (london, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Die Alone (Kindle Edition)
A must read for everybody so we never forget the incredible courage that was displayed by the special forces during the 2nd World War. Or the brave civilians who risked everthing for their beliefs and principles.
An astonishing story of one man's indomitable will to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic story!, 3 Feb 2014
A brilliant example of mans ability to survive and the kindness of others. Really enjoyed the whole story and loved the reality of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Die Alone (Paperback)
A thoroughly amazing story of human resilience against unbelievable odds. The protagonist finds himself against a series of increasingly difficult obstacles in his bid to escape the Nazis. Supported by resistance members, the re-telling of this story also does justice to the Norwegian resistance movement and sheds some light on the Norwegian state of mind. Highly recommended if you don't like Nazis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surely nothing in life could be as harsh as this, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Die Alone (Paperback)
An incredible story of endurance and wartime resistance in the frozen north. Brilliantly evoking the cold, harsh conditions and the risks, danger and frustration of operating behind enemy lines.

A truly heroic tale of survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: We Die Alone (Kindle Edition)
I read this book over a couple of days as I found it very hard to put down, to read what Jan went through and the highs and lows of his escape are just amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unbelievable, 7 July 2013
This review is from: We Die Alone (Kindle Edition)
I have not quite finished reading the ebook but I am amazed that Jan is still alive! A very good read well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 2 Jun 2013
Nich Woolf - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Die Alone (Kindle Edition)
Especially if you have read The Shetland Bus this will be the best adventure you have ever read about. It is hard to believe the motivations of those times but as long as you remember that this is a true story then you cannot help but be fascinated.

5.0 out of 5 stars a simply outstanding read, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: We Die Alone (Paperback)
When i was growing up I used to love reading those boys own stories of extraordinary escapes in World War 2 and it has been a few years since I read my last one, so it was with some surprise that I bought this and thought i'd try and rediscover my love of the genre.

I started this book late one evening and simply couldn't put it down, it makes compelling reading from start to finish, and the thing you need to remind yourself is that this is a true story - it actually happened and this makes it all the more remarkable.

If you like the true life heroic stories of people who against all the odds just wouldnt give up and die then this book makes compelling reading, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: We Die Alone (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing story! If you have any interest in military history, or stories of immense bravery and fortitude, this is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars WE DIE ALONE, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: We Die Alone (Paperback)
A really good read - amazing what the human body can survive. I have passed this book onto friend who I know will enjoy it.

We Die Alone
We Die Alone by David Howarth (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)