5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read; highly recommended
This is not usually the sort of book I would go for but having read the extracts in The Times I thought I would give it a whirl and I am glad I did. Once I had picked it up I couldn't put it down.

Th first part of the book covers in gory detail the author's experiences in Liberia as a journalist with the mercenary Nick du Toit who he hired to protect him and...
Published on 3 Jun 2010 by isabel in the kitchen

3.0 out of 5 stars Friendship First...
I enjoyed this book very much and found it a gripping, informative and often saddening read. I read quickly through the last 100 pages because by that time I'd had enough of the plans of the plunderers and how they go awry. To me the book seemed to be summed up by its title: it was mostly about a friendship and how it endured in extraordinarily difficult circumstances...
Published on 28 July 2010 by Airly_2904

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 22 July 2010
David Persson - See all my reviews
"My Friend The Mercenary" is based on James Brabazon's spell-binding account of his own experiences as a war reporter in war torn West Africa and of his evolving friendship with South African mercenary Nick Du Toit. The book is superbly written, mesmerizing as well as highly amusing in retelling the author's experiences from West Africa as well as in revealing the plans to topple the leadership of Equatorial Guinea. The book (which literally reads like a thriller) puts the reader onto a pure a roller coaster into the murky waters of "guns for hire" but also into issues of morality and objectivity that pertains to reporting from a war zone. For readers interested in learning more about the tragic-comical plans to topple the government of President Obiang, this book offers a wealth of inside information retold with lots of charm and wit all however based on thorough research. "My Friend The Mercenary" is thus in a totally different league than the book "The Wonga Coup" by Adam Roberts (which also retells the faild coup attempt), and is much more well-researched and written than the hasty workings of Roberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: My Friend the Mercenary (Paperback)
Yes an excellent book

4.0 out of 5 stars Factual and interesting., 6 Sep 2013
A factual account of an unusual but close friendship built on trust under trying circumstances. The author risks his life and pretty hard conditions for a story but gained a good friend in the process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 2 May 2013
Really enjoyed it. At times horrific, but always engaging. The road less travelled, for sure; made me interested in the conflict, as well - a passing interest is enough to get you through this book in days. The last section changes tack, as the coup is taken apart forensically - but this is not to the detriment of the book, which is pacey and informative throughout

4.0 out of 5 stars I could smell the gunpowder and bombs, 22 April 2013
An excellent read. Wonderfully written and greatly descriptive.

Thoroughly enjoyed Brabazon's work.

Highly recommended.

My only gripe is that Brabazon does not get it right when it comes to EO - Eeben Barlow created Executive Outcomes and nobody else. And it certainly was not created by that Wonga clown!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to get into, but definitely worth it!!, 9 April 2013
I chose this book due to reading a lot about hired guns/private military/mercenaries. This title is unlike any others I've read, as its written from a reporters point of view, at the beginning, it informs you of the eventualities that are coming, but I must say it took a little while longer to read, due to the fact it was so informative, and was an education about West Africa, its cultures, and of course it's troubled past. But above all, about two very unlikely friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a corker, 11 Mar 2013
This book was enthralling from start to finish. I could barely put it down and want forehand find the programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 10 Feb 2013
James Brabazon's story of his time in Liberia with Nick du Toit is a gripping read. Following Nick's incarceration as a mercenary in Equitorial Guinea following the failed coup, Brabazon's gives a side of the story one would not get from Simon Mann. Well worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read !, 15 July 2011
This review is from: My Friend the Mercenary (Paperback)
This was an amazing read. An education, a metaphor, and an insightful gutsy novel. I could not put this down but I had to, to work, sleep and then read on when time management permitted. He brings the reality of war to life. Disturbing accounts for the meek; but if you want to learn of the reality of war, the frightening concept of child soldiers, the struggle for survival on so many levels. Then this is the book for you.The love interests are a good angle on the desire for normality and Brabazon's analysis of this desire is an honest account.The reminders of the absolute danger that engulfs war journalists hits you right between the eyes. If such things were not documented in this way no one would believe such things happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended: A first-rate debut book, 19 Jun 2010
A friend spoke so highly of this book that I felt I should read it too, and I am so glad I did. Much of the book is about the author's coverage (as a cameraman) of the civil war in Liberia and his relationship with his bodyguard. From backgrounds as different as chalk and cheese, the two men accept each other at face value and an enduring friendship is forged in the war torn jungles. Nick du Toit saves the author's life on more than one occasion and only the sad passing of his beloved grandfather prevents Brabazon from joining du Toit on the ill-fated attempt to overthrow the Equatorial Guinea government - and Brabazon throws much light on the conception and development of this failed coup.
This truly is a brutally honest book, well-written and always gripping. Seldom does one see a journalist admit to his own weaknesses and I certainly never expected to admire an (ex)mercenary, but Brabazon's courage, honesty and engaging narrative had me praying for du Toit's release from the hell hole in which he was incarcerated and for a chance of a new and respectable life.
Brabazon, meanwhile, has proved himself as a mesmerising writer and I for one can't wait for his next book.

My Friend the Mercenary
My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon (Paperback - 16 Jun 2011)
7.99