5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read; highly recommended
This is not usually the sort of book I would go for but having read the extracts in The Times I thought I would give it a whirl and I am glad I did. Once I had picked it up I couldn't put it down.

Th first part of the book covers in gory detail the author's experiences in Liberia as a journalist with the mercenary Nick du Toit who he hired to protect him and...
Published on 3 Jun. 2010 by isabel in the kitchen

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Confusing at times
Published 8 months ago by LES WILLIAMS

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 Jan. 2012
This has to be one of the best books that I have ever read. Full of action and the horrors of wars,but touched with some humanity and the contradictions in how people can be kind and yet be barbaric.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story., 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: My Friend the Mercenary (Paperback)
We often read bits about wars in Africa and I for one find some quite unfathomable. I found this first hand account of rebels fighting in Liberia truly engrossing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to get into, but definitely worth it!!, 9 April 2013
I chose this book due to reading a lot about hired guns/private military/mercenaries. This title is unlike any others I've read, as its written from a reporters point of view, at the beginning, it informs you of the eventualities that are coming, but I must say it took a little while longer to read, due to the fact it was so informative, and was an education about West Africa, its cultures, and of course it's troubled past. But above all, about two very unlikely friends!

4.0 out of 5 stars happy, 31 July 2010
Patrick Troy (Dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, very well written.It was . MY FRIEND THE MERCENARY. and that is what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 2 May 2013
Really enjoyed it. At times horrific, but always engaging. The road less travelled, for sure; made me interested in the conflict, as well - a passing interest is enough to get you through this book in days. The last section changes tack, as the coup is taken apart forensically - but this is not to the detriment of the book, which is pacey and informative throughout

4.0 out of 5 stars I could smell the gunpowder and bombs, 22 April 2013
An excellent read. Wonderfully written and greatly descriptive.

Thoroughly enjoyed Brabazon's work.

Highly recommended.

My only gripe is that Brabazon does not get it right when it comes to EO - Eeben Barlow created Executive Outcomes and nobody else. And it certainly was not created by that Wonga clown!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 10 Oct. 2014
Confusing at times

3.0 out of 5 stars I got a bit bored, 12 May 2015
This review is from: My Friend the Mercenary (Paperback)
Perhaps I have read too much of this genre, but I found it a bit dull and have't finished it (got about half way through). Seems like the author is trying to make what was a boy's own adventure into a boy's own adventure. If I finish it and think differently I'll revise this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 10 Feb. 2013
James Brabazon's story of his time in Liberia with Nick du Toit is a gripping read. Following Nick's incarceration as a mercenary in Equitorial Guinea following the failed coup, Brabazon's gives a side of the story one would not get from Simon Mann. Well worth a read

4.0 out of 5 stars Factual and interesting., 6 Sept. 2013
A factual account of an unusual but close friendship built on trust under trying circumstances. The author risks his life and pretty hard conditions for a story but gained a good friend in the process.

My Friend the Mercenary
My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon (Paperback - 16 Jun. 2011)