5.0 out of 5 stars Small and perfectly formed
In recent years it’s seemed that in the world of literature big is best, and in order to qualify as a great work an author has to emulate Tolkien or Tolstoy with sprawling locations, character and interweaving plot strands. So, it’s refreshing to find a little novel that (in terms of size) is more Great Gatsby than War and Peace.
Fup is a colossal 89...
Published on 25 Nov 2003 by Allan Price

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, marred by ending
Absolutely adored the book right until the abrupt ending, at which point I felt thoroughly cheated and wished I hadn't bothered reading it.

Ending aside, it's the perfect 'grown up' fairy story, with swearing grown-ups living their lives as opposed to fantasy princesses dreaming of wedding dresses. Given the character of the duck, the author has obviously spent...
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by Rosey Lea

4.0 out of 5 stars ducking great, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Fup: A Modern Fable (Paperback)
Picked this up on a whim as the Fup duck idea made me smile, a great short story sometimes the language is as rough as you imagine the moonshine to be but an enjoyable tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars my 'cult classic', 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Fup (Paperback)
the reviews in the book say it for me-a fable funny and profound in so few pages. I loved it. It's a gem that I take pleasure in sharing with my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Fup: A Modern Fable (Paperback)
Such a cute story and definitely a gift to give to others who like to read. Have read this a few times over as it's so short. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, redemption and an oversized duck..., 27 July 2011
Gregory Heath - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fup (Paperback)
I found this glorious little novel on a second hand book stall a few days before leaving for a week in Wales, and decided it might make good holiday reading. The blurbs see it described by The Daily Telegraph as 'a fairy tale that is wonderfully down to earth', and (rather more emphatically, if somewhat less convincingly) by The San Francisco Chronicle as 'a diamond in the cesspool of life'. Featuring the ninety-nine-year-old 'cranky reprobate' Granddaddy Jake, his giant grandson Tiny, and an oversized duck called Fup (as in Fup Duck, which is the parental advisory bit out of the way), it looked like an intriguing prospect.

I settled into it one restful afternoon, the book in one hand and a hipflask full of Grant's in the other, and I couldn't have found myself in better reading circumstances, not least because the book is amongst other things an achingly poetic paean to whisky. Early on in the story, having been given the recipe by a dying Indian, Granddaddy Jake starts to make Ol' Death Whisper, soon to become 'a cult item among certain connoisseurs of drooling oblivion'. His production of the whisky, along with the overdue adoption of his grandson, brings a sense of meaning to an otherwise chaotic existence. As the author has it, 'In the processes of fermentation and distillation he found not only metaphors that answered his spirit, but a product that extended it.'

That's not to say that this is a book solely about whisky, because it's much more than that. To be honest, though, I'm still not a hundred percent sure exactly what it is about, which explains why I've given it four stars rather than five (I'm seeing it as a message not quite delivered, rather than one not quite received). Whatever else Fup may be, however, it's a beautifully written account of love and redemption, with an oversized duck in it, and you just don't get that every day.

Gregory Heath, author of 'The Entire Animal'

The Entire Animal

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Fup (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books of all time, I bought this copy to replace my own as I gave it away - this is about the fourth time I've had to replace it as I just love to share this book. Just beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, wounded lives with humor and sadness underneath, 6 May 2011
rob crawford "Rob Crawford" (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fup (Paperback)
This is a very colorful novelette that begins with wounds and ends in a kind of love between two barely functional people and animals, including a duck and wild boar. It is utterly absorbing and beautifully written, the mark of a true writer, dense with detail that is never repetitive and continually surprising. It kept me laughing, but there was also this pathos and aching loneliness and alienation. The tone is both realistic yet fantastical, and I got a sense of life passing that was so bittersweet and lovely. It is almost as strange and textured as a Nabokov piece, with all the surreal seeming believable in its detail.

Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 20th Century Classic of simplicity and charm, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fup (Paperback)
"FUP" A 20th Century Classic of simplicity and charm. Jim Dodge is a master story teller and a humanist of extraordinary wit and style. From the very first instant on page one of this little gem - the reader is hooked. As the story unfolds you are at all times engaged, and, amidst the laughter, find yourself dreading the climax as this is a novel that you do not want to end. Having been introduced to Dodge & FUP by a friend, I have since gone on to read all his novels and have to say that I am sore disappointed to find he has not written more. I live in hope!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully funny and entertaining, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fup: A Modern Fable (Paperback)
A wonderful short book perfect for a Sunday afternoon! Fup is indeed a modern day fable but what it is actually saying is personal to each reader. The story is packed full of wonderful descriptions and excellent prose. The players are well rounded and have a true feeling to them even though there is little space on the page to flesh out their character; this is a testament to the author.

The story made me chuckle inside and smile more times than I can mention and actually made me laugh outloud a time or two.

It might be a simple tale but it is told with remarkable wit and intelligence and is a thoroughly enjoyable read. Buy it, read it, enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fup, 7 Jan 2011
You will not regret buying this beautiful little book. It is very short but still very worth it. Its not my usual thing and I expected not to like it, but it has gained a permanent place in my heart. Well done Jim Dodge for humour that is both decisively adult and truly funny and a message that delivers itself without sacharine sweetness, unlike so many others today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ... love it ....., 6 Jan 2011
Oh Fup!
Have this on Kindle as well as my much loved and now tatty pb
Just bought pb a copy for my 15 year old..

A must read and keep book if ever there was.

Everyone should own a copy of this .... Love it.

ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

Fup: A Modern Fable
Fup: A Modern Fable by Jim Dodge (Paperback - 2 April 2009)
5.59