on 22 February 2011
Who knew there was so much cricket enthusiasm in Eastern Europe!? Bell's writing is funny throughout, and full of stories on the fascinating people he meets. This is a great book if you want a fresh, funny perspective on countries like The Ukraine, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia and Estonia. His mission is simple: to explore the European cricket underworld, and all its eccentricities, taking a Skoda from The UK to Istanbul and back. An amazing journey, with such interesting stories. Mafia, spies, fingerless terrorists! Priceless.
on 26 August 2008
This is a fantastic book even if you are not a fan of cricket! In fact if you don't understand cricket you'll find this book even funnier. Inspired by a Canadian Psychic and accompanied by a family ghost, Angus the intrepid Caledonian Cricketer sets out in his Skoda to conquer Eastern Europe armed with only an MCC coaching manual and some stumps! You'll find this a very easy to read book with plenty of images included some nice glossy colour ones (just in case your imagination can't conjure up a 5'9" Scotsman lofting a tennis ball from Europe into Asia across the river Bosphorus!).
on 31 March 2015
I have taken inspiration from this book. We all could.

If you ever wondered what it would be like to travel around the world to foreign countries not versed in the sport which you are playing while confused locals watch you pursue your bizarre pastime then Angus Bell will tell you. This is presumably what it is like to be an American sports fan abroad.

To appeal to general interest groups; drinking, driving (not immediately after the former) in a ridiculous car and buggery are thrown in for good measure. If you are not big enough to wear your Dad's pads, or too immature to not run around with his box strapped around your forehead, then you should wait a few years before you read this book and get some silly ideas. If you are too old to bowl anything faster than a gentle medium wobbler or too sedentary to take to the cricket field at all then this will be short and unique enough to hold your interest for a while. If you like cricket and have ambitions or experience of travelling to Eastern Europe you will probably read this twice. Enjoy, I did.
on 16 March 2011
I bought this book after several recommendations from friends, giving it to my dad as a gift... he loves it! It's very funny, and easy to read.
on 20 April 2014
What can I say ? A very funny book about a beautiful and serious game that is able to laugh at itself. Excellently written.
on 2 December 2008
Even for a person who detests cricket like myself I found this book addictive amusing and a fun book to read, I would recommend to others who enjoy traveling and have an interest in CEEC's.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2009
Angus Bell travelled around Eastern Europe visiting tiny outposts of the cricketing world in a battered Skoda and this is his often very funny account of attempting to play the odd game in places like Tallinn, Slovakia, Croatia and Romania.

Much of the humour comes from the fact he was travelling "on a budget" and so ended up sleeping in many quite scary places given his frequent financial issues. Bell captures the moments well and amusingly, a kind of Bill Bryson of Slovak slum hostels, but after a while this drags the book down a little. There's often no balance to the grimy aspects of the countries visited so Eastern Europe eventually comes across as nothing other than a monotone crime-ridden, dangerous place to be which ends up working against the humour of attempting to explain cricket to the locals.
on 3 May 2010
I bought this because I really enjoyed 'Slogging the Slavs' bby the same author. Great! A new installment thought I.

So, got the book, sat down in my special reading chair with my special reading coffee and with the book hat on and dived in to page one. Hmm, seems familiar. Skip forward a bit, yep definitely looks familiar. I thought I'd accidentally bought a book I already owned. (It's amazing how often I do this)

But a quick trip to the shelves and I found my copy of Slogging the Slavs, checked the blurb on the back, snap. Check page one, snap. Check table of contents, snap.

So, this is the same book under a different name and I don't think Amazon have made this clear enough. It's a good book, but I only want to read it once. let alone own it once... I can only assume that the name was changed to be a bit less aggressive to slavic people. (This would annoy Richard Littlejohn though, so we're all in favour of that)

Seriously, this is 'Slogging the Slavs' under a different name and no-one is very keen to point that out, a bit under-hand.

I'm reduced to selling my extra copy on ebay for near full price so as you can imagine, I'm livid.
on 2 February 2011
I wouldn't recommend this book as a tour guide; it's put me off completely visiting any of these countries. Such a shame, as they were on my list of "must-see countries". Not any more!
I love cricket, and found this most unusual cricket tour amusing. I'm not certain that Angus found any Eastern Europeans playing cricket, but certainly located many Indians and Sri Lankans. Very light hearted, and you don't need to be a cricket fan to enjoy!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse