5.0 out of 5 stars A myth not to miss, 2 July 2009
TemmaD (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (Myths) (Hardcover)
As Dubravka Ugresic's book reminds us, the world is built on myths & stories - old myths that have been pushed aside, but like grandmothers, retain surprising power. Shake them up, turn them inside out, and they can still bring light to dark places. Growing old, as my 80 year old mother often says, is not for the fainthearted. When I have tried to get friends to read this book (and I want everyone I know to read it) I explain that it is a surreal, imaginative, humorous re-working of the Russian mytho of Baba Yaga to tell a new story about old age, I'm not sure I am selling it. Somehow, this brilliant writer manages to gather in friendship, old age, sex, women & men, the body, power, the Balkans, America, obsessions with health and vitamins, the seige of Sarajevo, literary fandom and exile all in one wild ride of a story. The book is shaped like a tryptich, and is one that can be read in a gulp and then returned to and savored. A reminder in a world where everything is increasingly the same that many wonders still remain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old Age, 14 Nov 2010
I love the way Dubravka Ugresic describes her relationship with her mother. There was a lot to recommend in this book, particularly if you are interested in myth. However, as a story it didn't quite hang together and I was a little frustrated by this even though the author deliberately chose this method of writing. If you want to read Dubravka Ugresic I would instead recommend her essays, particularly 'Thank you for not reading.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Baba Yaga - a novel incorporating the myths of Baba Yaga, 17 May 2011
This book is fascinating. It is not hard to read, the author has a fluidity so it races along.

I did not know a thing about Baba Yaga, so the last part of the book which explains who and what Baba Yaga stands for, a Croation, Serbian maybe Russian myth about someone, could be a man, but mostly a woman, an old hag, a mad woman, a witch etc, which pulls the book together very well. It certainly is unusual and entertaining.

I would like to read a lot more of this author's books.

Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (Myths)
Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (Myths) by Dubravka Ugrešic (Hardcover - 21 May 2009)
Used & New from: Ł14.39