5.0 out of 5 stars a new best friend
Published on 7 July 2008 by Alex Reid

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting
Until recently I knew nothing about psoriasis until I met a new colleague at work who has the condition. He said very little about it, so when I saw this book I decided to have a read.
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by T-bone

5.0 out of 5 stars a new best friend, 7 July 2008
This review is from: Sunbathing Naked and Other Miracle Cures: A Memoir (Paperback)
I read this book cover to cover one afternoon, and having suffered from acne for a long time I felt immediately like i'd found a new best friend. Finally someone else understands and knows what it is like to be daunted by your own image and often the terrible stress that accompanies it. And what's more, I have become deeply aware of how far worse off other people with all kind of ailments are, which has inspired me to get on with my own life. A charming, often hilarious and thoughtful read. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone who has at any stage in their life been less than happy with the way they look, you'll get a wonderful feeling that you know what? Life's not all that bad...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brave book AND very very funny in more than one ways!, 16 Nov 2010
Highly recommended!

Don't be put off by the subject. This book is quite something. A brave thing to write about, and the amazing thing is that it made me laugh throughout. Mr Kennaway is a true observer, if not a voyeur of life. He loves people and you feel it throughout the book. Look forward to read more by him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunbathing naked, 3 Nov 2012
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This memoir of dealing with the skin condition psoriasis caught my attention and while I've never had this condition I was struck by the quality of the writing and the interesting portrayal of life with this condition.

Kennaway explains that while ultimately the sunbathing is the cure, most people afflicted with a skin condition only want to cover up. The stress of having a breakout causes a feedback loop as the patches are more likely to occur when you are stressed. Many so-called cures are marketed but the medical ones are so severe that they can make the skin go blue or cause liver failure. No wonder people turn to herbal remedies and internet medicines. Some people take jobs that can be done from home, or never have relationships, worried about their looks.
Kennaway also suggests that in the past people with severe skin conditions may have been sent to leper colonies - where, leprosy not being easy to catch, they would account for the inmates who lived long and full lives.

When Kennaway got his condition cleared up he then became a sex-addict, perhaps because skin was suddenly permitted to expose and to stare at for the first time in his life. He got treatment for this also, which involved being an inmate just as the psoriasis treatment required him to stay at the Dead Sea in a resort for skin sufferers, because the UV rays are absorbed by the atmosphere by the time they reach this low point, so one doesn't get dangerously sunburnt while soaking up the healing power of the sunlight.

This is humorous and soul-searching, and very readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars bought for insight to psoriasis, 9 Oct 2013
Funny read about a the authors quest to treat his psoriasis.He encounters many people with the disorder along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars The life of a psoriasis sufferer, 16 May 2011
Guy Kennaway introduces us into the world of psoriasis sufferers using humour and wry insight into explaining how it affects an individual. He speaks both from his point of view as a sufferer and as an observer and interviewer of others. He takes us through how it has affected him and uses experiences of others to illustrate how different people have dealt with the condition.

Anyone who has psoriasis, or knows someone well who does will recognise many feelings and issues raised. If you are lucky enough not to have any direct experience this will give you a good start to understanding it. Many of the characteristics of dealing with psoriasis raised in the book will be shared with other chronic illnesses, giving it wider appeal.

Much of the book deals with the image aspect of psoriasis. It shows how important image can be to the self and how differences from the 'norm' can cause distress and behaviour that might not immediately be associated with a chronic skin condition. More open and frank discussion of these issues would help and maybe lead to less of a reliance on arbitrary definitions of perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunbathing Naked, 15 May 2009
Giles Cawley - See all my reviews
This book is unlike any other I have read. For a fellow psoriatic it is a must, Guy Kennaway expresses his inner feelings so eloquently and with such feeling and honesty, he had me crying and laughing on the same page! It is wonderful to know that someone else understands! For everyone else who is not perfect, I would also 100% recommend this book. It is a compelling read, will entertain you, make you think and has a great message...

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 15 Sep 2008
The book is written with warmth and humour and does a good job of describing the stress and misery that a misunderstood but very visible condition can cause. It is a terrible shame that some people react the way they do towards anyone who looks different, but what came across from this book was the heartbreaking way that many sufferers turn upon themselves, hating the way they look and feeling insecure and miserable.
I certainly feel that I have a better understanding of the condition and the way it can affect people after reading this, and the author is remarkably candid in places, such as when he discusses sex addiction.
At times, the stories within this book, for example the story of Bill and Emily, and of Howard are very sad, and my only real criticism of the book is that it does not give any indication of what some of the people featured are doing nowadays, which I would have liked to know. I wish we had found out what happened to Emily and Bill, and if Howard was ok and I felt that these parts of the narrative were "unfinished"
The book is still worth reading though, if you do not have a skin condition and want a better idea of how it can impact on your life this is a good starting point. That said, for someone like me it felt a bit tedious in places and repetative, for example the section in israel could have been condensed somewhat or my tastes.
I think this would be a good read if you do have a skin condition as it would probably be helpful to hear from someone else who has been through the same, and the style of writing is pretty easy to get into.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE MUST READ FOR ALL, 8 Sep 2008
Sarah (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A fun and informative read for those of us unfortunate enough to have skin problems and a great insight for 'anyone who knows someone'
So wonderful to be reminded that we are not alone with our worries. I bought this book to read on holiday and had finished it by the time I reached my destination, I just couldn't put it down. Well done Guy Kennaway, a brilliant writer, you made me feel human !

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 4 Sep 2008
After 39 years of suffering with psoriasis , finally a book that puts into words what most people, who suffer from any disfiguring condition, will relate to. covering a range of emotions and also seeing the funny side to live with not so perfect skin ... I highly recommend this book to suffers family of suffers just to get a insight to life and emotional feelings of someone who suffers from a unsightly condition .... YOU wont beable to put it down, makes you laugh and cry

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 13 Oct 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It's interesting in this book the links that the author makes between psoriasis and addiction, although whether they are personal to him or something that can be more widely applied is unclear.

I admit that having known people with psoriasis who are just accepting of their lot and getting on with their lives with no obvious issues I was quite surprised to find the author going to such extremes about his condition. The fact that he was instrumental in a man losing his money and home, just because he wanted the heating turned down seems fairly obsessive and ill. A lot was explained when he teetered over into addiction during a long period when his skin cleared up.

A troubling yet fascinating read.

ARRAY(0xa25eaf3c)

Sunbathing Naked and Other Miracle Cures: A Memoir
Sunbathing Naked and Other Miracle Cures: A Memoir by Guy Kennaway (Paperback - 19 Jun 2008)
10.44